Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Lenient sentence for drink driver

Published

on

Haverfordwest court

Haverfordwest Magistrates court

A CARDIGAN woman was banned from driving for 12 months at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday. Caroline Quinn, aged 47, pleaded guilty to a charge of driving when her alcohol level was above the limit. Prosecuting, Ellie Morgan said: “At 7.45pm on Saturday, November 15, a witness noticed a Black Nissan vehicle which didn’t have headlights on.

The witness followed the car and noticed it hitting the curb on a couple of occasions. The car also then hit a parked car. The witness then saw the female getting out and staggering away. They could smell drink on her breath. She told the witness that she was on the way to pick up her son. This person replied: ‘You’re p*ssed, why did you get behind the wheel? Quinn replied: ‘I’m not denying it, you might as well call the police’. The police were called and she was breath tested with her lower reading at the station being 73 micrograms which is just over twice the legal limit.”

Defending, James Subbiani said: “Quinn has a son who suffers from Aspergers and they are currently under protection of a restraining order for an unrelated matter. She was not planning on going out but she was told that the person who is the subject of the restraining order was in Cilgerran where her son had gone and she started to worry and panic. She was worried as her son had not come home when he was supposed to and that he might encounter the person and was in a state of panic. She got behind the wheel as she wanted to go and find her son and she made a foolish mistake in doing so.

She has never been to the courts before, she has a clean license and these are quite unusual circumstances. Because of the circumstances I would ask you to depart from your guidelines and issue a shorter sentence and be as lenient as you possibly can.” Magistrates agreed with the defense saying they ‘understood the circumstances’. As a result Quinn was only disqualified for 12 months which the magistrates added was well below their guidelines. She was also fined £110 for the incident, £85 in court costs and a £20 victim surcharge totaling £215.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Police call for vigilance to report illegal raves

Published

on

DYFED-POWYS POLICE is asking farmers and local landowners to be on the alert over the next few months for warning signs of any illegal gatherings planned for their land over the summer.

Gatherings – such as illegal raves – can cause considerable anxiety to the community and if they are not dealt with swiftly, they are difficult to stop or otherwise control, due often to the sheer numbers of persons involved and the safety aspects surrounding breaking up such an event.

Superintendent Robyn Mason said: “There is little doubt that these type of events are very well planned, organised and that local knowledge is important in drawing down the main group to a particular ‘vulnerable’ field, or area of land which has been targeted previously as a suitable venue.

“Farmers, landowners and local communities are encouraged to report any suspicious activity immediately to the Police; this may be an unusual numbers of vehicles, especially camper vans, vans or trucks in the locality, illegal trespassers who may be doing ‘recce’ of sites in advance of the event.

“I can assure local communities that Police will take the appropriate action to deter illegal gatherings and deal robustly with any criminal offences discovered or disclosed.”  

Members of the public are also urged to be vigilant of persons who approach landowners or enquiring for land, in the guise of hiring for apparently acceptable activities such as gymkhanas and scouts/guides events.

Please contact Police on 101 with reports on any suspicious activity.

Continue Reading

News

Wheelchair-bound man jailed for child sex offences

Published

on

A CHILD sex offender from Ystrad Meurig has been jailed despite being wheelchair-bound.

Dean Harper, aged 61, had distributed child pornography and tried to entice a 10-year-old girl into sexually abusing herself and sending him photographs.

Harper, of Sisial y Pin, Ffair Rhos, admitted downloading 317 indecent images of children in the most serious category A, 400 in category B and 500 in C.

He also admitted sending images in all three categories to a third party, all on a single day in October, 2016.

Harper also admitted attempting to incite the girl into sexual activity knowing that she was only 10-years-old.

Kevin Jones, prosecuting, told Swansea Crown Court that the distribution of the images alerted the police who raided Harper’s home and removed computer equipment.

An examination of his internet activity revealed he had made contact with a girl via social media and swapped messages with her.

The judge, Mr Recorder Peter Griffiths told Harper his offending was serious and a jail sentence was inevitable despite his disability.

Harper was jailed for a total of two years and ordered to register with the police as a sex offender for 10 years.

He was also made the subject of a sexual harm prevention order which will restrict his contact with young people and his internet activity after his release from prison.

Continue Reading

News

Royals set to visit Ceredigion during summer visit

Published

on

AS PART of their annual summer visit to Wales, The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will be visiting Ceredigion next month.

From July 2-6, Charles and Camilla will tour the country, undertaking over 20 engagements across the country.

On July 3, The Prince of Wales will visit Dà Mhìle Distillery, Llandysul, the first organic distillery in the UK approved by the Soil Association, where he was previously gifted the thousandth bottle to be produced by Dà Mhìle.

The Prince of Wales will also visit St. Gwenog’s Church, Llanwenog, and view their unique carvings created by Joseph Reubens, a Belgian World War One refugee. His Royal Highness will also meet members of their local community.

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall’s fourteenth annual Summer visit to Wales will feature celebrations to mark the 70th Anniversary of The National Health Service and the marking the 150th anniversary of the Heart of Wales railway line amongst other events.

A Clarence House spokesperson said: “The Prince and The Duchess are really looking forward to their annual summer visit to Wales where they will be celebrating key anniversaries for the National Health Service, the Heart of Wales railway line and the 90th anniversary of Gwent Association of Voluntary Organisation. Their Royal Highnesses relish the opportunity to meet members of the community who are making a difference to Welsh life.”

Continue Reading

Popular This Week