Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Swedish firm awarded waste contract

Published

on

P E M B R O K E S H I R E COUNTY COUNCIL has awarded its Residual Waste Contract to a company in Sweden. At Tuesday’s (Jan 13) Environment

Decision maker: Richard Brown

Decision maker: Richard Brown

Overview and Scrutiny Committee, Richard Brown, Head of Environment and Civil Contingencies, revealed that Potters Waste Management had been awarded the contract.

Richard Brown said: “We now have a residual waste treatment framework, seven suppliers, two UK and five export solutions. “We were pretty sure it was going to be an export solution to the point that, up front, we’ve invested money in applying for planning consent for Pembroke Port and also applying for a permit to operate.

“We’ve now awarded a contract to a company called Potters which is an export based solution to Sweden. “The port of Pembroke will be processing, Lampeter will also have a processing plant, essentially all we will be doing is pulling the metal out, bringing it down to the port for bailing and rafting and then it will be sent off to Sweden as a refuse for fuel. “It is environmentally friendly to send it to Sweden than it is to send it to the waste plant that is being commissioned in Cardiff.

“Economically, it’s a good solution too. We’ve got 11 jobs which are being created just in Wales. “We’re going to be saving about £17 per tonne on what we’re currently spending. “The contract starts in March and shipping should begin in May”. Cllr Brian Hall said: “This will be a massive benefit to the Dock because it will ease the congestion and create jobs. It’s a massive asset and it’s not a bad saving”.

Cllr David Howlett highlighted that the partnership involved Pembrokeshire and Ceredigion and asked whether or not other authorities had been given the opportunity to come on board. Richard Brown responded saying: “The contracts are available to all local authorities. Different authorities are at different stages in their existing contracts.

“We had an immediate requirement and the reason we joined with Ceredigion was because they were looking for something at the same time. “Swansea, Powys and another North Wales authority are interested in coming on board. This could be a way of offsetting our future costs if they do come on board”. Acting Head of Paid Service Ian Westley added: “We went to the Welsh Government at the start of this process because, to an extent, it flies in the face of their preferred approach.

“Each authority made its own decision to secure a short term residual waste solution and some authorities had access to their own provision. “The Welsh Government were good enough to accept this. For Pembrokeshire, this is a win-win situation”.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Amendments introduced to the Cardigan Safe Zone

Published

on

AS MORE people are expected to visit Ceredigion’s towns over the coming weeks and summer months, changes are required to ensure our streets are safe for everyone, by allowing people to maintain a 2 metre social distance at all times.

Introducing changes over the Easter period has meant that some amendments will be made over the coming weeks.

Following a review, the initial phase of the Safe Zone (Phase 2) for Cardigan will be amended to Phase 2a, with Morgan Street and The Strand remaining as a one way system (unchanged current arrangement).

Road closures affecting the High Street in Cardigan will commence ahead of the May Bank holiday weekend at the end of May. The road closures will be between 12pm and 4pm daily.

As part of Phase 2a, the following work is being undertaken:

  • Placing road markings for all disabled bays along High St & Pendre
  • Placing loading bay road markings opposite Dewi James Butchers
  • Introducing new reflective bollards to replace the red/white baulks. This will allow traders to operate in the road as per their licence. The widened footpaths within the trading areas in the road will be raised to the same level as the adjacent footpaths to create a flat accessible area for pedestrians.
  • Placing a chicane outside the Black Lion Hotel to slow traffic flow
  • Implement a one way system along College Row to improve pedestrian safety
  • Reversal of one way along St Mary St to allow access to Chancery
  • Close the top of Pwllhai for licenced trading and pedestrian safety

A map of Cardigan and all the latest information on the Safe Zones is available on Ceredigion County Council’s website: www.ceredigion.gov.uk/safezones   

Continue Reading

News

New Quay youngster answers RNLI’s mayday call and raises nearly £2,000

Published

on

OVER the May Day Bank Holiday weekend a New Quay schoolboy took to the water on his paddle board and raised nearly £2,000 for the RNLI Mayday Mile appeal. He is now urging more people to take part this May in any way they can to raise funds for equipment before the busy summer season on the coast. 

Steffan outside Newquay RNLI lifeboat station after completing his challenge

Steffan Williams, 12, a pupil from Ysgol Bro Teifi answered the RNLI’s mayday call for fundraising and decided to not just do one mile on his paddleboard but attempt 10 miles in one day. He is now encouraging more people to get involved with the appeal to raise funds.  

Steffan said, “The RNLI Mayday Mile is a great way to raise money for the charity that saves lives at sea as you can do one mile or 100 miles in any way you want. You could run it, walk it, dance it and make it fun in fancy dress. 

Steffan Williams before his challenge on Sunday May 3

“I decided to take to the sea on my paddleboard, and I am really pleased I completed my challenge of 10 miles in one day. It was really hard going as the wind picked up in the afternoon but I did not want to give up. 

“I have been really shocked at the support and want to thank everyone who has donated, I am so happy!” 

Steffan’s total so far is £1,812 and he is the RNLI’s top individual fundraiser in the UK and Ireland. To support Steffan visit https://themaydaymile.rnli.org/fundraising/steffans-paddleboarding-mayday-challenge

The RNLI’s Mayday Mile campaign will be running throughout the month of May and anyone can take part by joining up on the RNLI’s Mayday Mile website https://themaydaymile.rnli.org/.  

With more people expected to be holidaying close to home this year, the RNLI predicts a summer like no other.  

Roger Couch, New Quay RNLI’s Lifeboat Operations Manager said, “Steffan has done a fantastic job on raising so much money for the charity and we are very grateful indeed. He is a true hero. This summer we expect to be very busy and urge people visiting our coast to take the necessary precautions.  

“Always check the weather, the tides and if you are on the water remember to wear a buoyancy aid and take means of calling for help, a mobile phone or radio. Remember we are on call 24/7 so if you see anyone in trouble on the coast please call 999 and ask for the Coastguard.” 

Continue Reading

News

Contact Hywel Dda for second vaccine appointment

Published

on

HYWEL Dda University Health Board (UHB) is asking anyone who received a first Pfizer vaccine at one of its mass vaccination centres in Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion or Pembrokeshire more than 21 days ago to get in touch if they have not received a second vaccine appointment.       

Ros Jervis, Director of Public Health for Hywel Dda UHB, said: “Second doses are essential for longer term protection, so it’s important that everyone comes forward for their full course when called.

“Our records show that a small number of people across our three counties have not responded to our invitation to receive their second dose. We won’t leave anyone behind and there is still time for them to receive it within the required timeframe.”

Additional clinics will be put on in the next couple weeks to administer these second doses. If it has been more than 21 days since your first Pfizer vaccine please email COVIDenquiries.hdd@wales.nhs.uk with the subject title “Second Pfizer dose request” with your full name, date of first vaccine and a contact phone number to book your appointment. If you are unable to email you can also contact the health board by calling 0300 303 8322.

Continue Reading

Popular This Week