Aberaeron continue losing streak

League Three West B

Aberaeron 13

Penybanc 28

Picturesque setting: An injury allows Aberaeron and Penybanc to take a breather
Picturesque setting: An injury allows Aberaeron and Penybanc to take a breather

ABERAERON hosted Penybanc on Saturday (Apr 16) with the visitors in search of a win that would pull them further away from the bottom 2 in the league, with the hosts all but condemned to their bottom two fate.

Skipper Adrian Pugh was missing with a broken arm for the visitors so flanker Mike Tench stepped up to the front row. Veteran wing Christian Hughes came into the side for a first start of the season.

Banc started well enough with fly half Mathew Lloyd kicking an early penalty for a 3-0 lead.

Aber defended very well in the early period with their forwards holding up the lighter Banc forwards and slowing down momentum. Some poor defence from the Tigers saw the hosts open their account to take the lead 7-3.

Banc however were looking really dangerous in attack. Prop Zac Rees was having a big game in the loose but after creating several chances with no end result, good work from centres Mathew Brayley and Dan Roberts saw full back Wayne Williams outstrip the defence to take the away team back in front.

Scrum Half Owen Williams was very busy around the breakdown and dangerous wing Callan Christie made ground every time he had the ball. Aber kicked a penalty to level the scores at 10-10 as the ref blew up for half time.

Banc must have had a severe talking to half time after leaving several chances on the field and were reappeared determined to put things right in the second half.

Aber kicked a further penalty shortly after but it was all Banc from there on. A barnstorming run from Tom Gale gave great go forward ball before the ball was spun out for Williams to claim his second after another trademark finish.

Williams was involved again shortly after, this time turning provider for Christie to register his first try for the club with a fine try. A solid shift from Tim Williams and Mark Tench contributed to a cracking final 20 minutes.

Brayley made his presence felt with a few late charges and it wasn’t long before No 8 Chris Jones popped up in midfield to score the bonus point try.

The final word though, was to go to the evergreen Williams, who completed his hat trick put the icing on the kick in a faultless performance from the full back and a great second half team effort.

About the author

Dayne Stone

Add Comment

Click here to post a comment