Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

A&E waits ‘absolutely shocking’

Published

on

Screen Shot 2016-05-09 at 10.34.50FIGURES released today show Welsh A&E waits in March were worse than the ‘winter pressure’ months, with only 70.8% of patients at major emergency units discharged within 4 hours.

Health boards have been expected to meet a target of 95% of patients seen within 4 hours, yet not a single one with a major A&E department has met that target.

Labour Ministers are also going backwards on their target to eradicate waits of over 12 hours, with 4,387 patients in March not seen within the 12 hour benchmark.

Kirsty Williams, Leader of the Welsh Liberal Democrats, said:

“These figures are absolutely shocking. If the people of Wales weren’t already questioning Labour’s ability to fix the problems in our NHS, they will be now.

“I can’t understand how we’ve seen such a massive nosedive in waiting times. We need answers now, especially now that Labour Ministers don’t have the ‘winter pressures’ excuse to hide behind this time.

“Labour have the gall to claim they’ve kept all their promises, yet the 4,387 patients left for over 12 hours without being treated will testify that they’ve failed on their pledge to eradicate lengthy waits.

“Welsh Liberal Democrats will take action to reduce pressures on our A&E departments, ensuring that all patients have a nearby out-ofhours GP they can visit with more minor injuries and a new model of care for older people to minimise unnecessary hospital admissions.”

Conservative Shadow Minister for Health Darren Millar said: “In March more patients than ever spent over 12 hours in an A&E unit; a painful, worrying and potentially dangerous.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Sex offender caught trying to flee to Ireland

Published

on

A sex offender from Bow Street near Aberystwyth who tried to move to Ireland without telling anyone has been jailed.

Dennis Bull, aged 67, was caught trying to drive a van onto the Fishguard–Rosslare ferry with his belongings in the back ready for a new life in the Republic.

Bull, of Nirmit, admitted failing to comply with the conditions of registration as a sex offender and was jailed for 16 months.

Dyfed Thomas, prosecuting, told Swansea Crown Court it was the third time he had breached the order, imposed at Caernarfon crown court in February, 2016, for possessing indecent images of children.

That conviction was on top of earlier offending in New Zealand that included indecent exposure, outraging public decency and gross indecency with a child.

Mr Thomas said Bull had been jailed for 16 months in 2016 and ordered to register with the police. The restrictions imposed included a requirement to tell the police if he intended to change address.

On November 13 last year police at Fishguard harbour became aware of a Ford Mondeo registered to Bull.

A few minutes later Bull was arrested as he attempted to drive a van onto the Stenna ferry, which was loaded with household items.

Bull told the police he had made arrangements to move to Ireland “lock, stock and barrel” because he understood the monitoring of sex offenders was less strict.

In particular, said Mr Thomas, Bull did not like prospective employers being told about his convictions.

Judge Geraint Walters told Bull, “This was a planned and determined attempt to avoid detection. It was only the eagle eyes of the authorities that brought you to book.

“Your record is troubling and you present a risk of committing more offences of a sexual nature.

 “You are defiant of court orders that are there to protect others and it is truly disturbing that you are so keen to breach them.”

Bull was warned that the 2016 order remained in place for a further seven years.

Continue Reading

News

Newcastle Emlyn woman to brave the shave for charity

Published

on

TO MARK her 50th birthday, a Newcastle Emlyn woman will brave the shave to raise money for Diabetes UK Cymru.

On January 26, Newcastle Emlyn’s Coopers Arms will be the venue where Yvonne Lloyd’s shoulder length hair will hit the deck, as it is shaved off by hairdresser Pamela Atterbury. Mayor of Newcastle Emlyn Cefin Evans will make the first cut, in an evening that will include a buffet, raffle and live music from local band Back Tracks.

Yvonne, a waitress at Ty Croeso Delicatessen, said: “My son Tristan, now 25, developed Type 1 diabetes when he was at university. However well managed, it is a life-changing condition which you can never forget.

“He was diagnosed after an emergency admission to hospital with diabetic ketoacidosis, a potentially life-threatening condition caused by extremely high blood sugar. It can be fatal if not treated immediately. He was in hospital for four days and now relies on four insulin injections a day.

“I’m having my head shaved, not just to raise money, but also to educate people. There are a lot of myths about diabetes and how it can affect your life.”

The hair cut will start at 8.30pm on Saturday January 26 at the Coopers Arms, Station Road, Newcastle Emlyn. Entry costs £5 and doors open at 7.00 pm. All are welcome.

You can support Yvonne by signing one of the sponsor forms at the Coopers Arms and Ty Croeso, or online at: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/yvonne-lloyd2

Continue Reading

News

Next stage of works to clear Cwmduad landslide

Published

on

PHASE two of the works to stabilise a landslide in Cwmduad has begun following the recovery of a lorry from the river below.

Carmarthenshire County Council is leading the operation to clear the site and re-open the A484 for traffic travelling between Carmarthen and Newcastle Emlyn, following the landslide in October.

Phase one, which commenced before Christmas, created a safe zone for the recovery of a lorry that was swept in to the river during the storm.

That recovery took place earlier today (Monday, January 14, 2019).

Phase two, to permanently stabilise the embankment, involves complex drainage and geotechnical works.

The highway structure will then be assessed before any indication can be given as to when the road will re-open.

The council has thanked the community, and affected commuters, for their patience whilst site assessments and works have been underway.

Ruth Mullen, Director of Environment for Carmarthenshire County Council, said: “We are now making progress in what has been a highly complex operation and legal process between the council, partner agencies and the landowner.

“We fully appreciate the impact this has had on the community, and we wish to reiterate that we have worked without delay to undertake site investigations in the immediate aftermath of the landslide, along with clearance and construction works to make the area safe.

“We are working as quickly as we can to re-open the road as soon as possible, and would like to thank those affected most sincerely for their patience.”

Until the road is re-opened, traffic will continue to be diverted along the B4333 Carmarthen – Newcastle Emlyn.

Additional bus services remain in place:

A shuttle service currently runs from Cwmduad to Tycoch to catch the 460 service at 7.25am, 9.35am and 10.55am. Return journeys are at 2.25pm and 4.45pm.
The 460 service is currently operating on a diversion route

Continue Reading

Popular This Week