Headline News Top News

Pensioner “thought he was on a dual carriageway”

swansea-crown-courtA PENSIONER from Llandysul overtook a car on the A485 and continued “as if he was on a dual carriageway” until he crashed head on, a judge heard on Friday (Jul 29).

Robert John Foskett, aged 73, had become confused and made no attempt to avoid the collision.

Foskett, of the Beeches, admitted causing serious injury through driving dangerously.

Paul Hobson, prosecuting, told Swansea Crown Court how Foskett had been driving north in his Mercedes E320 on December 4 last year. As he approached the village of Peniel he “smoothly” overtook a Citroen but continued in the on-coming lane.

Another driver described the move as “stupid” as Foskett, a retired taxi driver, drove blindly around a left hand bend.

Mr Hobson said Paul Anthony Jones, a senior engineer with Western Power, was driving his Land Rover Discovery in the other direction and found himself confronted by Foskett’s Mercedes heading straight for him.

He braked to 30mph but Foskett hit his car at 49mph.

Mr Hobson said Mr Jones was seriously injured, as were Foskett and his wife, who had been a front seat passenger.

Mr Jones had to be cut from the wreckage of his car by firemen and suffered multiple injuries, including fractures to his ankle, pelvis, ribs and nose.  He spent three weeks in hospital and was still receiving treatment.

Foskett suffered broken ribs and a collapsed lung.

Mr Hobson said Foskett was interviewed by police and told officers he had no recollection of the collision.

His barrister, Ieaun Rees, said Foskett had already surrendered his licence and had no intention of driving again.

Mr Rees said he could not put into words how disappointed and sorry he was about the injuries caused to Mr Jones.

Mr Hobson said Mr Jones did not hold a grudge against Foskett and did not want to see him sent to jail.

Judge Keith Thomas said he could only conclude that Foskett had become confused and thought he had been driving on the correct side of the road, if only he had been on a dual carriageway.

Foskett was jailed for 12 months, suspended for 18 months, and banned from driving for five years.

He was also ordered to pay £750 in prosecution costs and a court surcharge of £80.

As Foskett left court, Mr Jones wished him well for the future.