EMERGENCY services will be holding a training exercise at Aberystwyth University tomorrow (Sep 15).
The training exercise will be held between 10am and 3pm and will use one of the Cwrt Mawr halls of residence at the top of the University’s Penglais campus.
The scenario will involve around 20 volunteer ‘hostages’ but none of the emergency vehicles will use sirens or lights as part of the exercise. It will provide emergency services and the University with a real-time scenario to implement and test the major incident plans they have in place.
Aberystwyth University staff and students, as well as members of the general public, are being informed in advance so that no false alarms are raised as a result of the training activity.
A spokesperson for Dyfed-Powys Police said: “The aim of the planned training exercise is to test and develop effective response capabilities for all the emergency services and partner agencies to a major incident. Dyfed-Powys Police has chosen the university site because it provides a safe training venue for all the participants, whilst at the same time presenting a series of unique challenges.
“Unfortunately such training remains necessary to ensure all organisations are in the best possible place to respond to an emergency at any location across the force area.”
Phil Maddison, Director of Health, Safety & Environment at Aberystwyth University said: said: “We realise that it is vital for Dyfed-Powys Police Force to carry out training exercises such as the one being planned for 15 September and we are happy to co-operate in any way we can.
“It is also a way to test the effectiveness of our procedures within the University, and to adapt and update where necessary. We are working closely with the police to ensure minimum disruption to University staff and students, as well as members of the public.”
Young boy approached by man in Aberystwyth
DYFED-POWYS POLICE is investigating a suspicious incident following a report that a man approached a young boy at the Glanceulan Estate, Penrhyncoch, Aberystwyth on Saturday (Jan 14).
The incident occurred between 3pm and 3:45pm.
The boy was not hurt in any way and did not engage in conversation with the man. Officers attended the area immediately but the man was not located.
The man is described as being dressed in dark/black trainers, trousers and jacket and carrying a mobile phone.
Enquiries are continuing and police are carrying out extra patrols in the area.
PC Sarah Edwards said: “We’re carrying out enquiries to try to identify this man. I must emphasise that no one was hurt and that officers are doing everything we can to identify the person and to make sure the area remains safe.”
“Anyone with information is urged to call 101.”
Time running out for Euromillions winner to claim £1,000,000
THERE are just days left for one lucky winner to claim a Euromillions prize of £1,000,000 and a ‘Luxury Trip to the Gold Coast’.
The winning ticket for the July 29 draw last year was bought in Carmarthenshire and the ticket had the winning UK Millionaire Maker code of BRR 888846.
If you have any old tickets lying around, check it as soon as possible – if it has that code on it, pick up the phone and claim your prize!
The deadline to claim the prize is next Wednesday, January 25.
Andy Carter, Senior Winners’ Advisor at The National Lottery said: “Time really is running out for the winner of this prize, but we are still hopeful that someone will come forward at the very last minute to claim the money.
“We’re urging everyone to check their old tickets one final time or look anywhere a missing EuroMillions ticket could be hiding.
“This life-changing prize could really help to make dreams become a reality for someone out there.”
If the prize isn’t claimed the funds will go to Lottery funded organisations around the UK.
To claim the prize call 0844 338 7551 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Low unemployment figures for 18 – 24 year olds in Ceredigion
NEWLY released figures show that the number of young people claiming benefits in Ceredigion is the second lowest in Wales.
The figures, which have been released by the Department for Work and Pensions, show that just 1.1% of persons aged 18 – 24 in Ceredigion are claiming job seekers’ allowance.
That figure translates to just 525 people, and is 1% below the whole of Wales.
Since 2010, this figure has seen a 42% reduction in Ceredigion and across Wales 39,000 more people are now in work.
Popular This Week
News2 weeks ago
Paedophile facing more time in jail
News4 days ago
Two hospitalised and dogs cut free after crash
News5 days ago
Storm Ophelia warnings issued
News1 week ago
Hotels educated on warning signs of child sexual exploitation
News1 day ago
Ceredigion needs ‘21st century service’ from council
News2 weeks ago
Crackdown on crime during Dyfed-Powys Police’s Force Day of Action.
News2 weeks ago
Commemorative Stone marks 100th anniversary of prestigious award
News4 days ago
Aberystwyth lecturer in Top 10 women in IT