THE POLICE AND CRIME PANEL have confirmed the appointment of Mark Collins as the new Chief Constable of Dyfed-Powys Police.
Dyfed-Powys Police and Crime Commissioner Dafydd Llywelyn said: “I am very pleased to announce that following the completion of the rigorous recruitment process, my preferred candidate, Mark Collins, has now been officially appointed the new Chief Constable of Dyfed-Powys Police.
“I am grateful for the response of the workforce and from our communities, when I set out to establish the type of Chief Constable we required for Dyfed-Powys Police. In reflecting on this feedback, and in considering the policing priorities I will be laying out, I believe we have selected a Chief who above all else will improve the organisation and the service it provides to the public.
“I was very pleased with the interest shown by those keen to lead Dyfed-Powys Police and am very much looking forward to continuing this journey with the new Chief Constable, in developing the Force’s future.
“In accepting the offer, Mark emphasised how delighted and privileged he feels in having the opportunity to work with us in serving the communities across the Dyfed-Powys Police force area.”
Mark Collins is currently the Deputy Chief Constable of Bedfordshire Police, but he has a long association with the Dyfed-Powys area, and in fact began his career in the police service when he was appointed as a Special Constable in Carmarthen in 1987. His commitment to policing was cemented in 1991 when he became a Police Constable and joined the Metropolitan Police, but shortly returned to Dyfed-Powys Police in 1995 as a Constable in Cardigan. Over the next 10 years he worked in all four counties serving at every rank to Superintendent in Uniform and CID.
In 2006 Mark was promoted to lead the Wales Extremism and Counter Terrorism Unit (WECTU). In more recent years he served as the ‘Preventing Violent Extremism Deputy National Coordinator’ based in London with a national remit, a Borough Commander with the Metropolitan Police, and most recently has been both Assistant Chief Constable and Deputy Chief Constable at Bedfordshire Police. He lives in Carmarthenshire with his wife.
Young boy approached by man in Aberystwyth
DYFED-POWYS POLICE is investigating a suspicious incident following a report that a man approached a young boy at the Glanceulan Estate, Penrhyncoch, Aberystwyth on Saturday (Jan 14).
The incident occurred between 3pm and 3:45pm.
The boy was not hurt in any way and did not engage in conversation with the man. Officers attended the area immediately but the man was not located.
The man is described as being dressed in dark/black trainers, trousers and jacket and carrying a mobile phone.
Enquiries are continuing and police are carrying out extra patrols in the area.
PC Sarah Edwards said: “We’re carrying out enquiries to try to identify this man. I must emphasise that no one was hurt and that officers are doing everything we can to identify the person and to make sure the area remains safe.”
“Anyone with information is urged to call 101.”
Time running out for Euromillions winner to claim £1,000,000
THERE are just days left for one lucky winner to claim a Euromillions prize of £1,000,000 and a ‘Luxury Trip to the Gold Coast’.
The winning ticket for the July 29 draw last year was bought in Carmarthenshire and the ticket had the winning UK Millionaire Maker code of BRR 888846.
If you have any old tickets lying around, check it as soon as possible – if it has that code on it, pick up the phone and claim your prize!
The deadline to claim the prize is next Wednesday, January 25.
Andy Carter, Senior Winners’ Advisor at The National Lottery said: “Time really is running out for the winner of this prize, but we are still hopeful that someone will come forward at the very last minute to claim the money.
“We’re urging everyone to check their old tickets one final time or look anywhere a missing EuroMillions ticket could be hiding.
“This life-changing prize could really help to make dreams become a reality for someone out there.”
If the prize isn’t claimed the funds will go to Lottery funded organisations around the UK.
To claim the prize call 0844 338 7551 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Low unemployment figures for 18 – 24 year olds in Ceredigion
NEWLY released figures show that the number of young people claiming benefits in Ceredigion is the second lowest in Wales.
The figures, which have been released by the Department for Work and Pensions, show that just 1.1% of persons aged 18 – 24 in Ceredigion are claiming job seekers’ allowance.
That figure translates to just 525 people, and is 1% below the whole of Wales.
Since 2010, this figure has seen a 42% reduction in Ceredigion and across Wales 39,000 more people are now in work.
Popular This Week
News2 weeks ago
Paedophile facing more time in jail
News5 days ago
Two hospitalised and dogs cut free after crash
News6 days ago
Storm Ophelia warnings issued
News2 days ago
Ceredigion needs ‘21st century service’ from council
News1 week ago
Hotels educated on warning signs of child sexual exploitation
News2 weeks ago
Crackdown on crime during Dyfed-Powys Police’s Force Day of Action.
News2 days ago
Driving offender learns ‘valuable lesson’
News5 days ago
Aberystwyth lecturer in Top 10 women in IT