Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Driver who killed Unison area organiser jailed

Published

on

swansea-crown-courtA MOTORIST who caused the death of Unison area organiser Roger Bevan by his dangerous driving has been jailed for two years this afternoon.

Jack Leon Isaac Weston, aged 22, overtook two vehicles in one manoeuvre before losing control and colliding head on with Mr Bevan’s Volkswagen Golf.

Both were trapped inside their vehicles. Mr Bevan was declared dead at the scene from multiple injuries while Weston was taken to Aberystwyth’s Bronglais hospital where he spent a week being treated for serious leg fractures.

Weston, of Tir Bach, Cilcennin, near Lampeter, admitted causing death by dangerous driving. He was also banned from driving for two years and ordered to pass an extended driving test before getting his licence back.

Ian Wright, prosecuting, told a packed Swansea Crown Court how Weston knew the B4337 Cilcennin to Cross Inn road well.

But at 5.45pm on July 14 last year he became impatient with two slow moving cars in front of him.

Mr Wright said Weston would have been aware that he was approaching a sharp right hand bend but decided to overtake both vehicles at once in his powerful R type Honda Civic.

That forced Benjamin Tiltman, who was approaching him in his Mercedes van, to brake sharply.

Mr Tiltman later told police Weston’s driving had been “alien” to the narrow country road and he thought he might have been doing 70mph as he struggled to pull the car back into the nearside lane.

He said he had never seen driving like it in 20 years and thought the overtaking had been an act of stupidity.

In fact, said Mr Wright, Weston was in the process of losing control and swerved into the oncoming lane.

Mr Bevan found himself hedged in by high banks either side and could not avoid the collision. His Golf was pushed backwards into a hedge.

Mr Tiltman said he felt angry when he heard Weston tell police officers at the scene that the crash had not been his fault.

Dyfed Thomas, representing Weston, said he had taken a decision that he would have to live with for the rest of his life.

Judge Philip Harris-Jenkins said Weston had ignored “slow” signs and broken white lines indicating the approach of a hazard, the sharp right hand bend.

“This collision was caused by you and you alone,” he said. “”This was immature, impatient driving. No doubt it will play on your mind for the rest of your life.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

D-Day anniversary offer for veterans

Published

on

FOLLOWING the first meeting of 2019, the Ceredigion Armed Forces Community Covenant (CAFCC) wishes to endorse Royal British Legion’s generous offer of providing a fully-funded tour back to the beaches for 300 D-Day veterans.

June 6 marks the 75th anniversary of the D-Day Landings.

Following the CAFCC meeting, Councillor Paul Hinge, Ceredigion’s Armed Forces Champion said, “This most generous gesture is fantastic, everyone of those eligible to travel is a nonagenarian 90+ year old and this trip will be a fitting way to say ‘thank you’ for their contribution as the Allies won WW2.”

The Royal British Legion, in partnership with Arena Travel, have chartered a ship, the MV Boudicca, to provide a fully funded tour for 300 D-Day Veterans from 02 June until 09 June. Each veteran will be able to bring one carer who will also be fully funded.

Veterans interested in applying for the trip need to complete the eligibility form by Monday 4 February 2019. The eligibility form and more details of the event can be found online at: https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/community/d-day-75/

Continue Reading

News

Sex offender caught trying to flee to Ireland

Published

on

A sex offender from Bow Street near Aberystwyth who tried to move to Ireland without telling anyone has been jailed.

Dennis Bull, aged 67, was caught trying to drive a van onto the Fishguard–Rosslare ferry with his belongings in the back ready for a new life in the Republic.

Bull, of Nirmit, admitted failing to comply with the conditions of registration as a sex offender and was jailed for 16 months.

Dyfed Thomas, prosecuting, told Swansea Crown Court it was the third time he had breached the order, imposed at Caernarfon crown court in February, 2016, for possessing indecent images of children.

That conviction was on top of earlier offending in New Zealand that included indecent exposure, outraging public decency and gross indecency with a child.

Mr Thomas said Bull had been jailed for 16 months in 2016 and ordered to register with the police. The restrictions imposed included a requirement to tell the police if he intended to change address.

On November 13 last year police at Fishguard harbour became aware of a Ford Mondeo registered to Bull.

A few minutes later Bull was arrested as he attempted to drive a van onto the Stenna ferry, which was loaded with household items.

Bull told the police he had made arrangements to move to Ireland “lock, stock and barrel” because he understood the monitoring of sex offenders was less strict.

In particular, said Mr Thomas, Bull did not like prospective employers being told about his convictions.

Judge Geraint Walters told Bull, “This was a planned and determined attempt to avoid detection. It was only the eagle eyes of the authorities that brought you to book.

“Your record is troubling and you present a risk of committing more offences of a sexual nature.

 “You are defiant of court orders that are there to protect others and it is truly disturbing that you are so keen to breach them.”

Bull was warned that the 2016 order remained in place for a further seven years.

Continue Reading

News

Newcastle Emlyn woman to brave the shave for charity

Published

on

TO MARK her 50th birthday, a Newcastle Emlyn woman will brave the shave to raise money for Diabetes UK Cymru.

On January 26, Newcastle Emlyn’s Coopers Arms will be the venue where Yvonne Lloyd’s shoulder length hair will hit the deck, as it is shaved off by hairdresser Pamela Atterbury. Mayor of Newcastle Emlyn Cefin Evans will make the first cut, in an evening that will include a buffet, raffle and live music from local band Back Tracks.

Yvonne, a waitress at Ty Croeso Delicatessen, said: “My son Tristan, now 25, developed Type 1 diabetes when he was at university. However well managed, it is a life-changing condition which you can never forget.

“He was diagnosed after an emergency admission to hospital with diabetic ketoacidosis, a potentially life-threatening condition caused by extremely high blood sugar. It can be fatal if not treated immediately. He was in hospital for four days and now relies on four insulin injections a day.

“I’m having my head shaved, not just to raise money, but also to educate people. There are a lot of myths about diabetes and how it can affect your life.”

The hair cut will start at 8.30pm on Saturday January 26 at the Coopers Arms, Station Road, Newcastle Emlyn. Entry costs £5 and doors open at 7.00 pm. All are welcome.

You can support Yvonne by signing one of the sponsor forms at the Coopers Arms and Ty Croeso, or online at: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/yvonne-lloyd2

Continue Reading

Popular This Week