Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Stupid dealer loses £8,420

Published

on

swansea-crown-courtAN ABERYSTWYTH cannabis dealer was branded as being stupid after losing £8,420—and warned that he still owes £31,580.

Sadik Miah, aged 25, of Dynevor, Lovedon Road, is under a suspended prison sentence after he admitted possessing cannabis with intent to supply.

He was back at Swansea Crown Court on Friday for a Proceeds of Crime Act hearing before Judge Peter Heywood.

Nicola Powell, prosecuting, said it had been agreed with Miah’s defence team that he had made £40,000 out of dealing in drugs.

The readily identifiable money was £8,420 in cash Miah kept in a safe at the home of Frank Hadfield, 49, of Vulcan Street, Aberystwyth, which Judge Heywood confiscated.

But that left £31,580 outstanding which the Crown Prosecution Service may try to recover at a later date.

Detectives could not believe their luck when they opened the safe and found the cash and a passport belonging to Miah complete with photograph.

They also found 356 grams of cannabis worth £3,564 on the streets.

Detectives then went to Miah’s house and as soon as they knocked on the door several men ran out of the back and jumped over a fence.

Police found 64 grams of cannabis and a further 89 grams at an address in Cambrian Place that Miah had access to.

Paul Hobson, representing Miah at that earlier hearing, said he had a cannabis habit and had turned to dealing to pay his suppliers.

He was stupid, added Mr Hobson, to keep his passport with his drugs money.

Miah was jailed for 12 months, suspended for 12 months, and ordered to carry out 200 hours of unpaid work for the community.

He must also attend 15 sessions of rehabilitation and will be tested for cannabis usage.

Hadfield was made the subject of a 12 month community order and told to carry out 150 hours of work.

Miss Powell said Hadfield would not face a POCA investigation

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

‘Horrendous suffering’ at local farm where 58 cows were found dead

Published

on

TWO Llandysul brothers have appeared in court to admit to a string of animal welfare charges.

David Davies, aged 60 and Evan Meirion Davies, aged 49, both of Penffynnon Farm, Bangor Teifi, Llandysul, appeared before magistrates to plead guilty to 13 charges brought by Ceredigion County Council under the Animal Welfare Act and Animal By-Products (Enforcement) (Wales) Regulations.

Among the charges they admitted were on or before April 16, 2018, causing unnecessary suffering to a protected animal, namely four bovines, by failing to provide adequate care; a similar charge relating to seven bulls housed in a shed; causing unnecessary suffering to 26 dead bovines; failing to comply with article 21 of the Community Regulations (EC) in collecting, identifying and transporting the animal by-products without delay, namely the carcasses found on the farm.

The case followed an investigation by Ceredigion County Council animal health officers.

When officers visited the farm, they discovered a large number of cattle carcasses in varying states of decay in several locations. The remaining cattle were also found to be kept in poor conditions.

The remaining cattle have since been subject to regular surveillance.

A sentencing hearing was held at Aberystwth Magistrates’ Court on Thursday, February 14.

Magistrates acknowledged the evidence of “horrendous suffering, inadequate care and poor animal husbandry displayed by both defendants to the animals”.

Both brothers were sentenced to 16 weeks imprisonment, suspended for 12 months.

They were also banned from keeping animals of any description for five years, and ordered to pay costs to Ceredigion Council totalling £3,000..

Dead cow with its head submerged in mud (Pic: Ceredigion County Council)

Continue Reading

News

Parents saving on average £350 on childcare per month

Published

on

Parents in Ceredigion have saved an average of £350 a month on childcare costs after the introduction of the Childcare Offer in September 2018.

Parents and guardians of three and four-year-old children living in Ceredigion can be eligible for the offer if they work the equivalent of 16 hours per week. This includes self-employed parents and seasonal workers.

The Cabinet member responsible for Learning Services, Councillor Catrin Miles said, “It’s great to see that the Childcare Offer is having such an impact across Ceredigion in the first few months. The savings will only increase as more parents register for the scheme. This will have a real positive effect on the lives of many parents. I urge anyone who thinks they are eligible to find out.”

Ceredigion County Council manages the scheme in the county, and will manage the scheme in neighbouring counties as the scheme is rolled out in 2019. The Welsh Government fund the Childcare Offer.

Parents and guardians who want to see if they are eligible can visit the Childcare Offer page on the Council’s website: www.ceredigion.gov.uk/ChildcareOffer.

Continue Reading

News

Police manhunt now extending beyond Dyfed-Powys region

Published

on

POLICE looking for a man who attacked a police officer on Saturday afternoon have evidence to suggest he has now left the Dyfed-Powys force area.

The investigation team is now working with other forces as the operation to find him continues.

The man has been wanted by Dyfed-Powys Police since Saturday, when he attacked a police officer who stopped the car he was travelling in. The officer stopped the car based on information that he was connected with criminal activity in other areas.

Extensive searches have been carried out in Ceredigion, using the armed response unit, dog unit and NPAS helicopter, and officers now have evidence to suggest he is in another area.

A second man who was arrested following the incident has now been charged.

Wayne Dobson, aged 29, has been charged with assault causing actual bodily harm, criminal damage, aggravated vehicle taking and vehicle damage, and two counts of taking a vehicle without the owner’s consent.

Chief Superintendent Peter Roderick said: “This has, and continues to be, a long and intense investigation, which now involves colleagues from other forces as efforts are focussed on locations outside Dyfed-Powys.

“We understand that there has been a high level of concern in our communities since Saturday afternoon, and we would like to thank the public for their patience as operations have been carried out across Ceredigion.

“Due to the nature of the enquiry, and information we have been working from, the level of detail about the wanted man that we have been able to release has been limited, but we have endeavoured to keep our communities updated as best we can.”

Continue Reading

Popular This Week