Aber dumped out of cup

Haverfordwest County 1

Aberystwyth Town 0

Dumped out: Blake Davies fired over for Aber as they failed to find the net
Dumped out: Blake Davies fired over for Aber as they failed to find the net

HISTORY repeated itself last night at the Conygar Bridge Meadow as Haverfordwest County put injury ravaged Aber Town out of the Nathaniel MG Cup at the second round stage for the second season running.

On a disappointing night for the Black and Greens, Jamie Evans’ long range effort was the difference between the sides.

The Seasiders started the game with Chris Mullock, Ricky Watts, Geoff Kellaway, Luke Sherbon and Kurtis March all missing from the squad due to injury or unavailability.

However, early signs were promising with both sides showing attacking intent. For County, Steff Williams forced a save out of Dom Richards, then went close again soon after while, at the other end, onetime Bluebird Greg Walters warmed James Gwilt’s gloves with a tester from 30 yards.

Rhys Dalling went wide again for the hosts but then, in the 22nd minute, came the decisive moment, when Evans’ speculative effort bounced in front of Richards and squirmed into the net.

Blake Davies fired over in response and a number of decent balls were delivered into the box by the likes of Luke Borrelli and Joe Clarke, but to no avail.

The livewire Williams again threatened down the left before bringing a save out of Richards, and Aber’s onetime wunderkind Rhydian Davies, now playing for County, saw his free kick blocked by the visitors wall.

After a poor half from Aber, the hosts were good value for their lead at the break.

After the break, the visitors did up it for a while with Borrelli bringing a good save from Gwilt, but in open play it was just not happening for Town, and a double substitution on 56 minutes showed what Manager Matthew Bishop felt about proceedings.

Sub Chris Jones sent a long range volley over the bar soon after coming on and, with Haverfordwest sitting back on their lead, the scene was set for Aber to bring themselves back in.

Sam Rodon sent a shot over the bar from close range but chances were few and far between and when Borrelli hobbled off on 87 minutes, hope was on the wane.

Jones had two more goalbound efforts saved but, in truth, an equaliser would have been something of an injustice after a very disappointing performance from the Black and Greens, and Haverfordwest fully deserved their place in the Nathaniel MG Cup Quarter Finals.

Town’s Players will have to play much better to get anything out of their next game in the Dafabet Welsh Premier League at home to Rhyl.

A huge and curious crowd is expected to attend the game which coincides with the opening of the new 3G Facility at Park Avenue next Friday (Oct 14), kicking off at 7.45pm.

About the author

Dayne Stone

Add Comment

Click here to post a comment