Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Jig-So grateful for Childline’s help

Published

on

Linda Grace, Chair of Trustees at Jig-So: With Julie Morgan AM, Chair of the Children and Young People’s Committee, and Claire Short

Linda Grace, Chair of Trustees at Jig-So: With Julie Morgan AM, Chair of the Children and Young People’s Committee, and Claire Short

JIG-SO CHILDREN’S CENTRE was pleased to be invited to an event at the Senedd recently, in celebration of the work of Childline delivered by the NSPCC in recent times, which receives funding from the Welsh Government.

Jig-So, based in Cardigan and working across the three counties of Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire and Carmarthenshire, offer children and young people the opportunity to learn and develop to reach their childhood milestones and to express and communicate in their chosen language as individuals with other children/young people.

It is now 30 years since Dame Esther Rantzen, Founder and President of Childline, launched her valuable helpline for children. Linda Grace, Chair of Trustees at Jig-So, said it was both humbling and inspirational to be amongst some of the young people of Wales who volunteer following training – receiving and responding to these phone and online calls from children.

She went onto say it had been three decades that Childline had been a place for children to be heard when it felt like no one else was listening.

A child contacts Childline UK every 25 seconds, a fact that Linda found shocking and distressing, but said she is hugely grateful for the support and service provided by Childline, who want to be there for every child.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Over 25 million views for takeaway’s viral video

Published

on

A TAKEAWAY in Tregaron has struck viral gold – again.

Their latest video, featuring a ‘monster kebab’ has had at least 25 million views.

The company’s Facebook page now has over 50,000 likes.

The video was shared on popular video channel LADbible and has over 11.5 million views.

Another page, UniLad, shared the video and has over 9 million views.

The UniLad page said: “With the help of 6 friends, you have 8 minutes to demolish this MONSTER kebab! Who’s on your team?”

In September last year, a ‘hangover cure’ video went viral for the business, racking up millions of views.

At the time, Lisa McEwen, a staff member at the popular takeaway, told The Herald: “One of our customers tagged us in something similar online and our Manager Pasha Pasaoglu – being the business entrepreneur that he is – decided we can make this better! And that’s where the Giant Mix-meat Challenge was born​.

“With Tregaron having such a small population we could never have expected to get this much publicity but it’s gone viral and we are so proud and grateful to all of our customers, regular and new​.”

Continue Reading

News

Three arrested as man is hospitalised with ‘life threatening injuries’

Published

on

THREE men have been arrested after a man was hospitalised in the early hours of this morning (Jan 14) with what police are calling ‘life threatening injuries’.

The incident took place in High Street, Aberystwyth, at approximately 2:20am.

Three men, ages 20, 23 and 25 have been arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm with intent.

They are in police custody.

Police are now appealing for witnesses to contact them as a matter of urgency.

A police spokesperson said: “Dyfed-Powys Police is investigating a serious assault at High Street, Aberystwyth, which happened at around 2.20am today (Sunday, 14 Jan). As a result of the attack a man is in hospital with life threatening injuries.

“Three men, aged 25, 23 and 20, have been arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm with intent and remain in police custody at this time.

“Police are appealing for witnesses who were at, or near, High Street between 12.45am and 2.30am. Anyone with information, or footage of the attack, is urged to report it to Aberystwyth police by calling 101, quoting incident 402. If you are Deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired text the non-emergency number on 07811 311 908.”

Continue Reading

News

Morgan, 7, loses long battle with cancer

Published

on

THE FAMILY of a brave seven-year-old boy have said he has sadly lost his fight with cancer.

Morgan Hayes, from Whitland, was diagnosed with neuroblastoma in February 2015 when he was just 4-years-old.

After being given the all-clear following numerous treatments, unfortunately the cancer returned.

He was then the focus of a campaign, Morgan’s Fight, to raise funds for him to get treatment in the United States of America.

However, despite the funds raised, Morgan was too unwell for the treatment in New York.

He instead underwent radiotherapy at home.

A statement posted on the Morgan’s Appeal Facebook page read: “It is with a very heavy heart I write this on behalf of Ben, Sophie and their families.

“Morgan passed away peacefully in his sleep this morning, in the arms of his Mum, Dad and family.

“We thank you all for your on going support and kind words.

“Please respect the family’s need to grieve together during this very difficult time.”

Continue Reading

Popular This Week