NATURAL RESOURCES WALES’ (NRW) ongoing investigation of the pollution of the River Teifi has found at least 1,000 fish have been killed, including salmon and sea trout.
Approximately five miles of the river has been affected.
NRW teams have been working on site to ensure control measures are in place to prevent further pollution, and carry out surveys to assess the impact on fish and other river life.
Gavin Bown, South West Duty Manager for NRW, said: “The Teifi is one of the most important recreational and net fisheries for salmon and sea trout in Wales, and is vital to the local tourism industry.
“It is also an internationally important Special Area of Conservation for salmon, as well as endangered fish species such as lampreys and bullhead.
“We’ve worked with the Teifi Rivers Trusts and other partners for many years to improve fish stocks, remove barriers to migration, and improve access to angling.
“The fisheries of Wales are iconic and highly valued so it’s devastating when pollution incidents happen, but we’ll work with our partners and do all we can to restore the river as quickly as possible.”
Natural Resources Wales is also working closely with Ceredigion County Council.
Councillor Rhodri Evans, Cabinet member responsible for Lifestyle Services said: “This is clearly a very serious matter but hopefully a swift response was put in place to reduce the impact of the release of material to the river.
“A major clean-up operation is underway and, hopefully, this should reduce further contamination of water courses.
“The incident clearly has worrying consequences for the ecology of the river but I know that officers from NRW are undertaking detailed assessments to evaluate how significant things will be in the short and longer terms.
“I have received reports from local residents of sightings of dead fish in the river, but we are awaiting further reports from other agencies which will provide a fuller and clearer picture.
“There are concerns amongst local anglers and other groups as the Teifi is so important to the environment, heritage and economy of the counties on both sides of the river.”
Young boy approached by man in Aberystwyth
DYFED-POWYS POLICE is investigating a suspicious incident following a report that a man approached a young boy at the Glanceulan Estate, Penrhyncoch, Aberystwyth on Saturday (Jan 14).
The incident occurred between 3pm and 3:45pm.
The boy was not hurt in any way and did not engage in conversation with the man. Officers attended the area immediately but the man was not located.
The man is described as being dressed in dark/black trainers, trousers and jacket and carrying a mobile phone.
Enquiries are continuing and police are carrying out extra patrols in the area.
PC Sarah Edwards said: “We’re carrying out enquiries to try to identify this man. I must emphasise that no one was hurt and that officers are doing everything we can to identify the person and to make sure the area remains safe.”
“Anyone with information is urged to call 101.”
Time running out for Euromillions winner to claim £1,000,000
THERE are just days left for one lucky winner to claim a Euromillions prize of £1,000,000 and a ‘Luxury Trip to the Gold Coast’.
The winning ticket for the July 29 draw last year was bought in Carmarthenshire and the ticket had the winning UK Millionaire Maker code of BRR 888846.
If you have any old tickets lying around, check it as soon as possible – if it has that code on it, pick up the phone and claim your prize!
The deadline to claim the prize is next Wednesday, January 25.
Andy Carter, Senior Winners’ Advisor at The National Lottery said: “Time really is running out for the winner of this prize, but we are still hopeful that someone will come forward at the very last minute to claim the money.
“We’re urging everyone to check their old tickets one final time or look anywhere a missing EuroMillions ticket could be hiding.
“This life-changing prize could really help to make dreams become a reality for someone out there.”
If the prize isn’t claimed the funds will go to Lottery funded organisations around the UK.
To claim the prize call 0844 338 7551 or email email@example.com
Low unemployment figures for 18 – 24 year olds in Ceredigion
NEWLY released figures show that the number of young people claiming benefits in Ceredigion is the second lowest in Wales.
The figures, which have been released by the Department for Work and Pensions, show that just 1.1% of persons aged 18 – 24 in Ceredigion are claiming job seekers’ allowance.
That figure translates to just 525 people, and is 1% below the whole of Wales.
Since 2010, this figure has seen a 42% reduction in Ceredigion and across Wales 39,000 more people are now in work.
Popular This Week
News2 weeks ago
Paedophile facing more time in jail
News5 days ago
Two hospitalised and dogs cut free after crash
News6 days ago
Storm Ophelia warnings issued
News2 days ago
Ceredigion needs ‘21st century service’ from council
News1 week ago
Hotels educated on warning signs of child sexual exploitation
News2 weeks ago
Crackdown on crime during Dyfed-Powys Police’s Force Day of Action.
News2 days ago
Driving offender learns ‘valuable lesson’
News5 days ago
Aberystwyth lecturer in Top 10 women in IT