Connect with us


Biggest game in club’s history



Aaron Evans: With the ball in hand against Pembroke earlier in the season

ON SATURDAY (Mar 25), Cardigan take on Amman United in Lampeter for a place in the WRU National Bowl final.

It is arguably the biggest game of their lives for both teams and both will be eager to book their spot in the final which takes place at the Principality Stadium on Sunday, April 16.

Cardigan and Amman United have both done tremendously well to get this far in the competition and it is a shame that one team’s run will come to an end on Saturday.

Cardigan will be in a confident frame of mind as they go into the semi-final as they have already shown many qualities in their run to this stage of the competition.

They beat Laugharne 45-29 in the second round and they also needed extra time to beat Usk in the following round as they won 10-7.

Another narrow victory followed against Betws before they beat Denbigh 23-7 in round 5.

They came up against Pembrokeshire side Milford Haven in the quarter finals and in a tough game they eventually came out on top with a 16-6 win.

Amman United will also be in a confident frame of mind going into the game having beaten holders Burry Port 13-3 in the quarter finals.

They also beat Monmouth 18-7 in the previous round and beat St Albans 39-5 in round 4.

In round 3 they beat Hartridge 22-5 after being given a walk over against Llandeilo in the second round.

Cardigan posted on their Facebook page: “Great energy and buzz in training tonight (Mar 21)! Boys are bouncing for Saturday’s big game.”

Amman United’s Tony Williams described the game as the ‘biggest in the club’s history’ and said they are really looking forward to the game.

He added: “We’ve trained well this week and we’re looking pretty strong. At this stage of the season we have a few missing but we are really looking forward to it.

“We’ll just be concentrating on ourselves, we know Cardigan have been doing well but we are confident in our game.

“It will come down to the best team on the day and it is also good for us to have someone like Shane Williams in the squad.”

Cardigan spokesperson Hefin Harries told the Herald: “We have had good training sessions this week with a full squad and we are confident of winning against Amman United. We realise that it will be a tough encounter against them and we will have the utmost respect for Amman United on the day.

“We will be missing two players because of a wedding and travels but the players coming are more than capable of filling in for them. The coaches are happy, we have never gone this far before and it is a big game for both teams.”

Cardigan will be without centre Emyr Harries as he is getting married but two players who would have been going to the wedding have said they will be playing.

One of their wingers is also on his travels to Australia but Cardigan are confident they have ample cover in place and will be giving their all to reach the final and make west Wales proud.

The winners of the game will play the winners of the other semi-final between Caerphilly and Cilfynydd with the final being broadcast live on S4C and kicks off at 1pm.

Both teams are just eighty minutes away from a place in the final and Saturday’s game is sure to be an exciting encounter.

Good luck to both teams and may the best team win!

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Boxer set to compete in Germany



Return: Ben Rees-Davies returns to Germany this weekend

CARDIGAN light-welterweight boxer Ben Rees-Davies returns to the scene of his greatest performance this week (Oct 19-22) when he competes in the prestigious Eindhoven Box Cup in Germany.

Seventeen months ago, the talented 25-year-old acquitted himself superbly by winning a bronze medal in a tournament which invariably draws some of the finest amateurs in Europe and the world.

Rees-Davies – a lance corporal in the Royal Welsh Regiment – eventually lost in the semi-finals to Russian number one Arman Zakaryan, the 2015 European champion and an Olympic qualifier.

A series of injuries mean that the former Cardigan ABC man has not boxed since losing in the Welsh Championships quarter-finals in March.

But Rees-Davies says he is now fully fit, fuelled by the nagging belief he has never quite fulfilled his potential – and by the fact he may soon have to hang up his gloves.

“I’m entered into an 18-man strong group with boxers from all over the world, it’s a Commonwealth Games qualifying tournament so there will be a fantastic pedigree of boxers,” he told the Herald.

“I’ve had a few frustrating injuries since the Welsh Championships so I haven’t been active, but if anything it’s made me more hungry to get back in the ring and achieve big things this year.

“For me it’s a massive season, and it could be my last so I’m aiming to achieve as much as I can and show my true potential once and for all.”

Rees-Davies said the time was approaching when he would have to focus wholeheartedly on his Army career.

He explained: “I want to progress with promotion. I love boxing with all my heart, but I have to think of my career also.”

He said he was ‘eternally grateful’ to long-time friend Anthony Studley, of Hair Lounge 4 Men in Cardigan – himself a former Cardigan ABC boxer – for helping him with funding.

“I massively appreciate help from him and he’s a credit to the town,” he said.

Continue Reading


Aber knocked out by Reds



Battle: Aberaeron and Llanelli players go for the ball​

Aberaeron • 1
Llanelli Town • 6
JD Welsh Cup

LLANELLI T​OWN proved too strong for Aberaeron ​last Saturday (Oct 7), as they were knocked out of the JD Welsh Cup by their Welsh League Division 1 opponents.

With the pitch looking immaculate the scene was set for a memorable cup tie but unfortunately that dream only lasted five minutes.

Aberaeron, who have regularly conceded easy goals from lost possession​,​ were left in no doubt that it should be safety first.

A cleared defensive header from an early corner for Llanelli should have been dealt with but possession was lost and a quick cross was easily headed in to the net.

Before Aberaeron could settle, Llanelli’s star player Lee Trundle beat three players to give himself a sight on goal and he thundered an unstoppable shot in off the underside of the bar.

Aberaeron woke up and Matty Davies was twice through on goal but no end product. Llanelli were passing well and Lee Trundle found himself one on one against Sion Clark. He turned cleverly leaving the defender in his wake and was unceremoniously upended for a clear penalty. Trundle drove it hard to the keeper’s left for number three.

Once more Aberaeron came in to the game, but passes were awry and often intercepted. A long clearance from Llanelli was not caught by Edwards, the Aberaeron keeper and the ball was easily tapped in to an empty net​.​

The second half was an attempt at a pride salvaging operation and Aberaeron gave a good account of themselves without finding the opponents net.

Trundle was kept at bay for the majority of the half but his trickery once more led to him being fouled in the box and he, once more, slammed the ball to the keeper’s left for five nil.

Aberaeron did get a consolation goal from the penalty spot from Matty Davies before another calamitous defending error gave Llanelli a sixth.

The score did not truly reflect the game but it reflects the ruthlessness of an ex professional striker who, clearly writes his own headlines- quite deservedly.

For Aberaeron, these are worrying times and the next three fixtures are ‘must wins’.

If Aberaeron cannot eradicate the problem of losing simple possession then it’s going to a long and very difficult season.

Continue Reading


Aber climb off the bottom



Chance: Ryan Wade comes close with a chance for Aber

Aberystwyth Town • 0
Barry Town • 0

ABERYSTWYTH TOWN earned themselves a point to climb off the bottom of the JD Welsh Premier League table last Saturday afternoon (Oct 7), as they were held to a 0-0 draw by Barry Town United at Park Avenue.

Both sides missed good opportunities to win the game in the second half, but the game ended in stalemate as both managers settled for a point apiece.

Aber manager Nev Powell made one change to the starting line-up from Tuesday’s Nathaniel MG Cup defeat to Airbus UK Broughton, with John Owen replacing Cledan Davies, which meant Mathew Jones started at left back for the first time in his Black and Greens’ career.

Both sides started the game cautiously, with the game lacking any real rhythm through the first 15 minutes. Barry came closest to opening the scoring on 16 minutes, as Chris Mullock somehow pulled off an instinctive point-blank save from Kayne Mclaggon’s close range shot.

Mclaggon was forced off through injury shortly afterwards, and Macauley Southam fired a long-range effort over the bar for the visitors.

Aber continued to struggle to get any threatening attacking play going, with Ryan Wade shooting well wide of the post on separate occasions.

The half time whistle could not come soon enough for the 233 spectators at Park Avenue.

The first 15 minutes of the second half again proved to be rather uninspiring for the neutrals, as both sides struggled to create clear-cut chances.

On 60 minutes, Aber’s midfield maestro Malcolm Melvin, and soon after striker Craig Hobson were introduced in place of Ryan Wollacott and Joe Phillips, with manager Nev Powell looking for some fresh impetus from his side.

Aber began to slowly crank up the pressure on the visitors’ rear guard, as Ryan Wade shot straight at Barry keeper Mike Lewis, before Hobson almost converted an in-swinging Ashley Young free kick.

Barry themselves continues to look dangerous on the counter attack with the pace of wide men Tyrrell Webbe and Drew Fahiya, but on 87 minutes Aber again came close to the breakthrough as Hobson headed Wade’s cross into the side-netting.

Aber looked for one last chance as the game headed into three minutes of added time, and they very nearly found the winner in the dying seconds as right back Declan Walker brought the ball down from the sky and fired a low shot towards goal, only for it to hit the outside of the post.

This was another occasion where Aber have to settle for a point when it could so easily have been three, but manager Nev Powell will take encouragement from the organisation and defensive qualities his side showed today, keeping their first clean sheet in the league this season.

Town now turn their attentions to their next JD Welsh Premier League fixture away to Llandudno, on Saturday (Oct 14).

Continue Reading

Popular This Week