IN THE second Council meeting of the new administration yesterday (May 18), the members of the Cabinet and of the Council’s committees were appointed.
At the start of the meeting, a minute of silence was held in memory of the late former First Minister of Wales, Rhodri Morgan.
The Leader of the Council, Ellen ap Gwynn appointed Councillor Ray Quant MBE as the Deputy Leader of the Council before appointing the members of the Cabinet. The following councillors were appointed to the corresponding portfolios:
- Councillor Ray Quant MBE – Technical Services and Corporate Services
- Councillor Dafydd Edwards – Finance, ICT and Customer Services along with Housing
- Councillor Rhodri Evans – Lifestyle Services
- Councillor Catherine Hughes – Social Services and Housing
- Councillor Gareth Lloyd – Economic Development and Community Development
- Councillor Catrin Miles – Learning Services, Flying Start and Team Around the Family
- Councillor Alun Williams – Carbon Management, Sustainability, Transport and Mental Health
The Leader will be responsible for the Policy, Partnerships, Language and Performance Management portfolio.
Later in the meeting, councillors were appointed by their Council group leaders to sit on the Council’s Committees and Overview and Scrutiny Committees.
Councillors Paul Hinge and Elizabeth Evans were appointed as Chairman and Vice Chairperson of the Overview and Scrutiny Co-ordinating Committee respectively.
Councillors were also were appointed to sit on a number of additional panels and groups that the Council facilitates or provides representation.