Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Cardigan: Blackmailer jailed, but she still has the money

Published

on


A CLEANER from Cardigan has been jailed for 18 months today for blackmailing an 85 year old man by threatening to report him to the police for made up sex offences.

But an unrepentant Linda Mary Thomas, aged 62, still has the £10,000 she got out of the pensioner.

Thomas, of Briscwm Cottages, came unstuck when she demanded a second £10,000 and “caring bank staff” persuaded him to tell them the what was going on.

Judge Geraint Walters said that there was a suspicion that Thomas had been told that the police were on their way and that she hid the original £10,000.

But Swansea Crown Court heard today (Jul 31) that the police had not given up and there was a Proceeds of Crime investigation underway to try and locate it or force Thomas to repay it.

Thomas had denied blackmail but was convicted after a trial.

The jury heard how the man was in the habit of giving her a peck on the cheek from time to time.

Thomas took advantage of that and told him she would claim that he had touched her breasts unless he gave her £10,000.

Her victim gave her £8,000 but she complained it was not enough and he withdrew a further £2,000.

By then staff at the town’s Lloyds bank had become worried about why he was withdrawing such large amounts of cash.
Thomas then threatened to complain that he had tried to rape her unless he handed over a further £10,000.

The court heard that he was so worried and embarrassed that he went to the bank again, but this time staff managed to persuade him to explain what was happening.

Staff then called in social services who contacted the police.

Judge Walters said if the staff had not shown such a caring attitude the entire £20,000 would have disappeared and the offending “would have forever remained a secret.”

Dean Pulling, the barrister representing Thomas, said she still maintained her innocence and therefore had nothing to say about the missing £10,000.

The court heard that Thomas had a previous conviction for shoplifting and seven years ago was convicted of a benefits fraud.

Judge Walters said that because Thomas continued to deny her guilt there had not been an offer to repay the £10,000.

Her threats, he added, involved “complete and utter lies” but her victim had been a proud and vulnerable man who still suffered the effects of her wrong doing.

News

Over 25 million views for takeaway’s viral video

Published

on

A TAKEAWAY in Tregaron has struck viral gold – again.

Their latest video, featuring a ‘monster kebab’ has had at least 25 million views.

The company’s Facebook page now has over 50,000 likes.

The video was shared on popular video channel LADbible and has over 11.5 million views.

Another page, UniLad, shared the video and has over 9 million views.

The UniLad page said: “With the help of 6 friends, you have 8 minutes to demolish this MONSTER kebab! Who’s on your team?”

In September last year, a ‘hangover cure’ video went viral for the business, racking up millions of views.

At the time, Lisa McEwen, a staff member at the popular takeaway, told The Herald: “One of our customers tagged us in something similar online and our Manager Pasha Pasaoglu – being the business entrepreneur that he is – decided we can make this better! And that’s where the Giant Mix-meat Challenge was born​.

“With Tregaron having such a small population we could never have expected to get this much publicity but it’s gone viral and we are so proud and grateful to all of our customers, regular and new​.”

Continue Reading

News

Three arrested as man is hospitalised with ‘life threatening injuries’

Published

on

THREE men have been arrested after a man was hospitalised in the early hours of this morning (Jan 14) with what police are calling ‘life threatening injuries’.

The incident took place in High Street, Aberystwyth, at approximately 2:20am.

Three men, ages 20, 23 and 25 have been arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm with intent.

They are in police custody.

Police are now appealing for witnesses to contact them as a matter of urgency.

A police spokesperson said: “Dyfed-Powys Police is investigating a serious assault at High Street, Aberystwyth, which happened at around 2.20am today (Sunday, 14 Jan). As a result of the attack a man is in hospital with life threatening injuries.

“Three men, aged 25, 23 and 20, have been arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm with intent and remain in police custody at this time.

“Police are appealing for witnesses who were at, or near, High Street between 12.45am and 2.30am. Anyone with information, or footage of the attack, is urged to report it to Aberystwyth police by calling 101, quoting incident 402. If you are Deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired text the non-emergency number on 07811 311 908.”

Continue Reading

News

Morgan, 7, loses long battle with cancer

Published

on

THE FAMILY of a brave seven-year-old boy have said he has sadly lost his fight with cancer.

Morgan Hayes, from Whitland, was diagnosed with neuroblastoma in February 2015 when he was just 4-years-old.

After being given the all-clear following numerous treatments, unfortunately the cancer returned.

He was then the focus of a campaign, Morgan’s Fight, to raise funds for him to get treatment in the United States of America.

However, despite the funds raised, Morgan was too unwell for the treatment in New York.

He instead underwent radiotherapy at home.

A statement posted on the Morgan’s Appeal Facebook page read: “It is with a very heavy heart I write this on behalf of Ben, Sophie and their families.

“Morgan passed away peacefully in his sleep this morning, in the arms of his Mum, Dad and family.

“We thank you all for your on going support and kind words.

“Please respect the family’s need to grieve together during this very difficult time.”

Continue Reading

Popular This Week