Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

​Threatening note left for neighbour

Published

on

AN ABERYSTWYTH man ​who left a ‘half threatening’ note for a neighbour admitted that he wanted the complainant to feel like she was being watched.

Carl Mathew Conway, 35​,​ of Heol Bryn in Penparcau, attended Aberystwyth Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday (Oct 25) to face two offences of displaying an article conveying a threatening message.​ He pleaded guilty to both. ​

Prosecuting, Rhian Jones said just before 7am on May 24, the complainant saw a note attached to her property​,​
which referred to friction within ​her​ block​ of​ flats.

The defendant wrote within the note ‘we don’t like grasses’ and ‘you don’t want me as an enemy’.

As a result, the complainant felt afraid and handed the note into the police. CCTV footage from the building was examined by officers​,​ which showed the defendant walking down a set of stairs at 1​:​40am on May 24, placing the note off camera and returning upstairs empty handed.

Ms Jones added ​that ​on July 12, a male found a note in a public place indicating a threatening message and handed it into the police.

The complainant was notified​ ​and was concerned that the entry code to the building had been written on the note ​and displayed in a public place.

Ms Jones said Conway was interviewed at a later date ​and he admitted to writing the note and ​that he ​was fully aware that the contents of the note was ​’​half threatening​’​.

He ​w​anted the complainant to know she was being watched​, he said. ​

He also stated that on July 12, he wanted the note to be publicly known.

Defending himself at Aberystwyth court, Conway admitted his actions.

For the offence, Conway was fined £40 and was told to pay prosecution costs of £50 and a £30 surcharge.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

featured

Ysgol Bro Pedr raise funds for life saving machine

Published

on

PUPILS at Ysgol Bro Pedr have raised enough money to buy a defibrillator machine for the school.

The idea came after 15 Year 11 pupils achieved their Level 3 Emergency First Aid Qualification with Ceredigion Youth Service. Pupils felt that it was incredibly important that they and others at the school had the skills, knowledge and equipment to use in an emergency.

Mrs Caryl Jones and pupils raised an outstanding £1,150 through organising a bake sale at the school on 28 March 2019. The school extends their thanks to Lampeter businesses ‘Oh My Cod’ and ‘Y Becws’ for their kind contribution towards the sale.

Guto Crompton, School Based Youth Worker said: “Although first aid is not a mandatory part of the school curriculum in Wales, young people at Ysgol Bro Pedr felt that it should be something that all pupils knew about. This would help them to know what to do in an emergency, whether that be in the school or out in the community. Pupils worked hard to achieve their First Aid qualification which covered aspect such as CPR, casualty management and the use of a defibrillator.”

The defibrillator machine will be placed in the school reception.

Continue Reading

featured

It’s not too late: Ceredigion residents still have time to register to vote

Published

on

“CEREDIGION residents still have time to register to vote in the General Election on 12 December,” said the council’s Chief Executive and Acting Returning Officer, Eifion Evans.

Residents still have time to register to vote and to arrange postal or proxy votes if they want to do so. The deadline to register to vote is midnight on November 26. The deadline to register for a postal vote is 5pm on November 26 and the deadline to register for a proxy vote is 5pm on December 4.

Mr Evans continued, “Some residents may want to register for postal vote or a proxy vote. This could help people avoid possible wintry conditions of a December election, or young people who have moved out of county to study but still want to vote in Ceredigion.”

Residents can register to vote by using this link: https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote or by calling the council’s Electoral Services Team on 01545 570 881.

Continue Reading

News

£1 billion deal set to solve poor mobile coverage

Published

on

BEN LAKE MP has worked with cross-party MPs in recent months on a campaign calling for a Shared Rural Network to extend mobile rural coverage to hard-to-reach areas.

On Friday, 25 October, a £1bn plan between the UK’s four main mobile phone companies and the UK Government was unveiled with the aim of banishing these signal dead zones. The proposed deal – which includes EE, O2, Three and Vodafone – promises to get 4G coverage to 95% of the UK by 2025.

The new plans for all operators to share phone masts to improve UK coverage is a world first. It will mean EE, O2, Three and Vodafone will invest £530 million in a network of new and existing phone masts they would all share and which any mobile user can access, and which would be supported by £500 million investment from the UK Government.

72 cross party MPs, including Ben Lake, wrote to the then Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, Jeremy Wright MP asking him to support a Shared Rural Network which would significantly improve rural coverage and enhance economic, educational and leisure opportunities in rural areas.

Mr Lake said “This is fantastic news. It will make a huge difference to so many people in my constituency where, in some areas, there is no mobile coverage at all. It will put an end to the frustration felt by thousands of people who currently feel cut off and mean people will get good mobile signal on the go wherever they live, work or travel and it will have a big impact on the local economy.

“I was glad to have the opportunity to meet with the Secretary of State to press the case for allowing newly constructed Home Office masts to be utilised as part of this new programme, something that would expedite progress in areas such as Ceredigion.”

The current Digital Secretary, Nicky Morgan said “We are determined to make sure no part of the country is left behind when it comes to mobile connectivity. We are closing in on a deal with the mobile network operators so those living in rural areas will be able to get the fast and reliable mobile coverage they need and deserve. Brokering an agreement for mast sharing between networks alongside new investment in mobile infrastructure will mean people get good 4G signal no matter where they are or which provider they’re with.”

A final agreement between UK Government and the mobile industry is expected early next year.

Continue Reading

Popular This Week