Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Arriva Trains Wales pulls out of Welsh rail franchise bid

Published

on

THE COMPANY which runs most of Wales’ rail network has pulled out of the contest to continue running it from next year.
Arriva Trains Wales has told the transport authority in Wales it will withdraw from the bidding process and has said it is “no longer participating in the Wales and Borders competition”, adding it had “not been an easy decision”.
Transport for Wales said it was “not uncommon” for bidders for major projects to withdraw.
General Secretary Mick Cash said: “This decision by Arriva to abandon their operations in Wales exposes the whole flakey and opportunist nature of the rail franchising process. They appear to have pulled out because they can’t make enough money which is extraordinary.
“This news presents a golden opportunity for the Welsh to take back control of their railways through public ownership and that opportunity should be seized with both hands.”
Arriva Trains Wales’ parent company Arriva said it “had been proud” providing rail transport in Wales for almost 14 years.
A spokesman said: “We will continue to work constructively with TfW to help make the next franchise a success and build upon the legacy that Arriva has built with Arriva Trains Wales,” said an Arriva statement. We remain fully committed to delivering for our customers.”
Tom Joyner, managing director of Arriva Trains Wales said: “We have been notified that Arriva Group have withdrawn from the bidding process for the next Wales and Borders franchise.
A spokesman for Transport for Wales added: “We would like to thank the company for their support and positive attitude since the procurement started and we will continue to work closely with the company to ensure that existing staff and customers are central to our transition planning over the next 12 months.
“With final tenders due later this year, we have three companies with world-class credentials each putting their own, distinct cases for how they will deliver the ambitious objectives we set, with the goal of delivering a step change in rail services for passengers across Wales and the Borders.”
The remaining bidders are Keolis-Amey, Hong Kong-based MTR Corporation, and the Abellio Group, which operates bus and rail networks across Europe and is the international arm of the Dutch national rail operator.
The new franchise is due to start in late 2018.

News

Spate of overnight burglaries in Clarach, Bow Street and Ponterwyd

Published

on

POLICE are investigating a spate of burglaries overnight in Clarach, Bow Street and Ponterwyd.

A number of burglaries have been reported, with entry forced to businesses and CCTV cameras damaged or removed.

In Bow Street, entry was forced into an agricultural merchants, where items were taken; and CCTV was removed from a business.

Two vehicles – a VW Passat – registration plate CU16 OAL – and an Audi – registration YT09 TWL – were also reported stolen from a garage in the village.

A VW Crafter – registration plate GM16OTP, along with tools and equipment were stolen from a business in Ponterwyd.

Four businesses at Nantallan Business Park were targeted:

Bikes and steamers were reported stolen from one, a generator and two boxes containing LED lighting from another, a Mitsubishi L200 flatbed truck taken from the third, and tools stolen from a fourth.

Police are treating the incidents as linked, and would like to speak to anyone with information or who witnessed any suspicious behaviour in the Clarach and Bow Street areas.

Continue Reading

News

Police confirm Ellie Bryan, 18, died in collision

Published

on

DYFED-POWYS POLICE can confirm the woman who tragically died following a collision at Commins Coch was Ellie Bryan, from Aberystwyth.
The 18-year-old was a passenger in a Vauxhall Astra which was involved in a collision at around 10pm on Saturday, November 16.
Her family has released the following statement: “We are distraught by our loss of Ellie. She will be missed by us all.
“Ellie was a loving daughter, sister and granddaughter.
“We would like to thank everyone for their support at this devastating time.
“We would appreciate having time to grieve in privacy.”
Police continue to appeal for witnesses or anyone with information about the collision to contact the Serious Collision Investigation Unit.
You can report information online at: http://bit.ly/dppReportOnline, by email at: contactcentre@dyfed-powys.pnn.police.uk or by calling 101.
If you are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired text the non-emergency number on 07811 311 908. Quote reference: DP-20191116-353.

Continue Reading

News

18-year-old girl arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving

Published

on

POLICE have said they have arrested a driver in connection with a fatal collision which took place at Commins Coch on Saturday (Nov 16).

An 18-year-old woman was arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving, and has been released on bail pending further enquiries.

The collision occurred on the A487 at around 10pm, and involved two vehicles.

Enquiries have revealed the involvement of a third car and yesterday the driver of this vehicle was arrested.

An 18-year-old woman – a passenger in a Vauxhall Astra – sadly died from injuries sustained in the incident. Her family is being supported by specialist officers.

The driver of the Astra remains in hospital in a critical condition.

Anyone travelling along this stretch of road at the time of the collision who had dash cam footage, or saw the collision, is asked to contact the Serious Collision Investigation Unit.

You can report information online at: http://bit.ly/dppReportOnline, by email at: contactcentre@dyfed-powys.pnn.police.uk or by calling 101.

If you are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired text the non-emergency number on 07811 311 908. Quote reference: DP-20191116-353

Continue Reading

Popular This Week