Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Flash mob choir in M&S sings out for Aberystwyth elderly care home

Published

on

Saturday lunchtime shoppers in Marks and Spencers Aberystwyth were invited to save a little more than money when they witnessed not just a flashmob, but a Cor Gobaith flashmob.

Cor Gobaith (Choir of Hope) now in its eleventh year, sang a song entitled “Save Our Public Services” to customers as part of the Am Ddiffyn Stand Up for Bodlondeb campaign organised by Cynulliad Gwerin Ceredigion Peoples Assembly.

Am Ddiffyn Stand Up for Bodlondeb is against the proposed closure of the council run Bodlondeb Residential Home in Aberystwyth until the Council are able to provide suitable replacement care provision.

The location was chosen as it was previously the site of another well loved Aberystwyth public building, the Day Centre, which was demolished in 2013 to make way for a retail development and is now housed in the basement of the former Town Hall. On the question of why M and S, Jo Eastlake from Ceredigion People’s Assembly and a member of Cor Gobaith commented “It’s important that the struggle to save the Day Centre and the struggle to Save Bodlondeb are linked and this is why we chose M & S as our flashmob choir location. Austerity is never rolled out all at once in the same way. It hits some people with health care one year, it hits others with a library closure the following year. It deliberately fragments the experience of it in order to thwart a united community response, so any fightback must join the dots in order to build a broad network of resistance.”

With almost every day bringing a new report of a ‘crisis in care’, closure of existing provision seems to make less sense than ever.

Ceredigion County Council’s Cabinet will make the decision on the fate of Bodlondeb at their next meeting, 7th November.

Cynulliad Gwerin Ceredigion Peoples Assembly invite anyone concerned about the future of care for older people throughout Ceredigion to join them at a March and Rally at Noon, 4th November, meeting at Owain Glyndwr Square in the centre of Aberystwyth town.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ten years for baby abusing paedophile who handed himself in to police

Published

on

A LLANILAR man who confessed to child sex offences no-one was aware of was jailed for 10 years on Friday (Jan 18).

Jared Perry, aged 32, walked into Aberystwyth police station and told officers he had sexually assaulted seven children, three of them when they were babies.

Perry, of Talardeg, was told by Judge Paul Thomas that he was a dangerous offender as defined by law and would be on licence and liable to be recalled to prison until 2035.

John Hipkin, prosecuting, told Swansea Crown Court that he made members of his family aware that he had committed child sex offences.

“He told his wife Andrea and others. They did not want the authorities to become involved,” he said.

Perry promised “to change” but went on to sexually assault more children.

Judge Paul Thomas said those who were aware of Perry’s offending would have to live with their decision not to inform the police.

Eventually Perry’s conscience got the better of him and he made full admissions to the police.

Mr Hipkin said the prosecution had to accept that there was no evidence of his offending apart from his confession.

He said one of Perry’s victims was a two month old baby.

Mr Hipkin said some of the assaults happened when Perry was about 16. There was then a gap before a second spate of offences when he was aged between 26 and 29.

Perry’s barrister, Dean Pulling, said he had been brought up in a deeply religious environment and had been driven by his conscience to confess.

Perry admitted 10 offences of indecent assault and sexual assault on children aged under 13.

Judge Thomas said there were aspects of the case that were unique to the point of being bizarre.

“The evidence comes solely from your own admissions.

“One truly shocking aspect is that after those first offences you told members of your family.

“For reasons known best only to them, and which they will have to live with, they did not inform the police.

“No doubt they gave you a chance because you promised to change. But you did not. You were unable to prevent yourself from re-offending.”

Judge Thomas said he was in no doubt whatsoever that Perry posed an extremely high risk of sexually harming children in the future.

Perry was made the subject of a Sexual Harm Prevention Order and told to register with the police as a sex offender, both orders to run for the rest of his life.

Continue Reading

News

D-Day anniversary offer for veterans

Published

on

FOLLOWING the first meeting of 2019, the Ceredigion Armed Forces Community Covenant (CAFCC) wishes to endorse Royal British Legion’s generous offer of providing a fully-funded tour back to the beaches for 300 D-Day veterans.

June 6 marks the 75th anniversary of the D-Day Landings.

Following the CAFCC meeting, Councillor Paul Hinge, Ceredigion’s Armed Forces Champion said, “This most generous gesture is fantastic, everyone of those eligible to travel is a nonagenarian 90+ year old and this trip will be a fitting way to say ‘thank you’ for their contribution as the Allies won WW2.”

The Royal British Legion, in partnership with Arena Travel, have chartered a ship, the MV Boudicca, to provide a fully funded tour for 300 D-Day Veterans from 02 June until 09 June. Each veteran will be able to bring one carer who will also be fully funded.

Veterans interested in applying for the trip need to complete the eligibility form by Monday 4 February 2019. The eligibility form and more details of the event can be found online at: https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/community/d-day-75/

Continue Reading

News

Sex offender caught trying to flee to Ireland

Published

on

A sex offender from Bow Street near Aberystwyth who tried to move to Ireland without telling anyone has been jailed.

Dennis Bull, aged 67, was caught trying to drive a van onto the Fishguard–Rosslare ferry with his belongings in the back ready for a new life in the Republic.

Bull, of Nirmit, admitted failing to comply with the conditions of registration as a sex offender and was jailed for 16 months.

Dyfed Thomas, prosecuting, told Swansea Crown Court it was the third time he had breached the order, imposed at Caernarfon crown court in February, 2016, for possessing indecent images of children.

That conviction was on top of earlier offending in New Zealand that included indecent exposure, outraging public decency and gross indecency with a child.

Mr Thomas said Bull had been jailed for 16 months in 2016 and ordered to register with the police. The restrictions imposed included a requirement to tell the police if he intended to change address.

On November 13 last year police at Fishguard harbour became aware of a Ford Mondeo registered to Bull.

A few minutes later Bull was arrested as he attempted to drive a van onto the Stenna ferry, which was loaded with household items.

Bull told the police he had made arrangements to move to Ireland “lock, stock and barrel” because he understood the monitoring of sex offenders was less strict.

In particular, said Mr Thomas, Bull did not like prospective employers being told about his convictions.

Judge Geraint Walters told Bull, “This was a planned and determined attempt to avoid detection. It was only the eagle eyes of the authorities that brought you to book.

“Your record is troubling and you present a risk of committing more offences of a sexual nature.

 “You are defiant of court orders that are there to protect others and it is truly disturbing that you are so keen to breach them.”

Bull was warned that the 2016 order remained in place for a further seven years.

Continue Reading

Popular This Week