Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

AM found dead following dismissal

Published

on

THE FORMER Cabinet Secretary for Communities, Carl Sargeant, the AM for Alyn and Deeside, has died at the age of 49.

Mr Sargeant’s death was announced this lunchtime (Nov 7).

The BBC has reported that Mr Sargeant took his own life.

On Friday (Nov 3), Mr Sargeant was dismissed from Carwyn Jones’ Cabinet following a number of allegations made about his personal conduct.

On his departure for the Cabinet, Mr Sargeant had expressed confidence that he would be reinstated following a full enquiry into the allegations made. He also disclosed that he had not been given details of the allegations prior to his dismissal or the opportunity to respond to them before he left the Cabinet.

He called the allegations ‘shocking and distressing’.

A statement from North Wales Police said: “At approximately 11.30am today, North Wales Police were called to a report that the body of a man had been found at an address in Connah’s Quay.

“The man has been formally identified as local AM Carl Sargeant.

“His next of kin have been informed and police are supporting the family.

“North Wales Police are not treating his death as suspicious and the matter has been referred to HM Coroner.

“The family request that their privacy is respected at this sad time.”

Llywydd Elin Jones announced that Assembly business would be suspended as a mark of respect: “I am deeply shocked and saddened to hear of the death of Carl Sargeant AM. He served the people of Alyn and Deeside with pride and determination and he made an enormous contribution to the development of this democratic institution.

“As a mark of respect to Carl, there will be no Assembly business today

“We will all want to gather our thoughts before paying proper tribute to him over the coming days.

“On behalf of all the Members and those who work at the National Assembly for Wales, I would like to express my deepest sympathy to his family and colleagues.”

First Minister Carwyn Jones said: “Carl was a friend as well as a colleague and I am shocked and deeply saddened by his death.

“He made a big contribution to Welsh public life and fought tirelessly for those he represented both as a minister and as a local assembly member.

“He will be a great loss both to our party and to the Senedd.”

Mr Sargeant was married with two children.

In a statement his family said: “He wasn’t simply a part of our family. He was the glue that bound us together.

“He was the heart of our family. We loved him so very much.

“We are devastated beyond words, and we know our grief will be shared by all those who knew and loved him.

“We are in shock and grief. We ask that our privacy is respected at this time.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Police appeal for missing Aberystwyth man

Published

on

DYFED-POWYS POLICE is concerned for the welfare of 43-year-old old Matthew Roberts, missing from Aberystwyth. He was last seen in Aberaeron on Tuesday (May 22).

Matthew is described as being around 6 ft 3 tall, slim, with shoulder length blonde hair. He is thought to be wearing either a red or a yellow and white coat, a hat, jeans, and carrying a large rucksack.

He has links to the Milford Haven, Cardigan, Aberaeron and Fishguard areas and is thought to be travelling on foot.

Anyone who has seen Matthew, or knows of his whereabouts, is urged to call 101. If you If you are Deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired text the non-emergency number on 07811 311 908. Quote reference: DP-20180521-299”

Continue Reading

News

Behave or Be Banned scheme returns to tackle disorder

Published

on

Dyfed-Powys Police is working with licensees across the region to relaunch Behave or Be Banned (BOBB) – a scheme which sees people banned from pubs, clubs and bars for bad behaviour.

The scheme re-launches in time for the bank holiday weekend (May 25) and Neighbourhood Policing Teams (NPTs) across the force area are closely linked with businesses to reduce violence and disorder in pubs and clubs.

Chief Inspector Mark McSweeney said: “BOBB is an effective tool to help prevent, reduce and combat alcohol-related offences within communities.

“If anyone is arrested for a crime of violence, disorder or anti-social behaviour in licensed premises, or after leaving a licensed establishment in the Scheme, they will be banned from not just that licensed premises, but all licensed premises that display the Behave or Be Banned sign within the area.

“The message is simple – Behave or Be Banned!  In addition, if someone is a persistent nuisance for a licensee but their behaviour doesn’t merit arrest, licensees can also put them forward to receive a ban from all licensed premises.”

Problem customers are banned not just from the one pub but all those in the area that have signed up. It also tackles underage drinking and the use and supply of drugs.

Mr McSweeney added: “BOBB works.  It is not uncommon to see people being more concerned about whether they can get into a pub with their friends than they are about being arrested.

“Licensees will not tolerate anti-social behaviour in their premises and BOBB keeps such people out, making it safer and more enjoyable for everyone else.”

Dyfed-Powys Police’s summer campaign – #EnjoyDPP – encourages people to enjoy what the area has to offer, safely and with respect for others.

Continue Reading

News

Proposed work on dangerous Dorglwyd Junction set to be delayed

Published

on

ELIN JONES AM and Ben Lake MP have expressed their frustration following a recent statement from the Welsh Government noting that work on the A487 Dorglwyd junction from Comins Coch, would be delayed.

The junction has witnessed several crashes and close-calls over recent years, with local residents calling for the development of a roundabout or similar traffic-calming measures.

The Welsh Government announced in September 2016 that a feasibility study would be undertaken by the following Summer as to consider potential options to improve the junction.

However, a recent letter from Ken Skates AM, Welsh Government Cabinet Secretary for Economy and Transport to Elin Jones AM and Ben Lake MP noted: “We are aware of the issues at the junction and an improvement scheme has been within our upgrades programme for some time. Unfortunately, due to limited financial resources and competing priorities, it has progressed slowly.”

“We are currently reviewing the scope of a possible improvement and considering solutions which are affordable and minimise environmental impact. When we are in a position to present outline solutions, a workshop with local stakeholders will be held. This is likely to be in early 2019.”

Elin Jones AM said: “Whilst I do welcome such clarification from the Cabinet Secretary on the next steps for Dorglwyd junction, it is disappointing to read that no major works for the transformation will happen due to the expense of the project. It is positive however to see that a smaller scale improvement is now to be pursued, with consultation likely to be undertaken in early 2019.”

John Roberts, local Ceredigion County Councillor for Faenor ward, added: “I share both Elin Jones’ and Ben Lake’s disappointment at the response from Ken Skates AM. The original plan was to encapsulate a more global project including the Llanbadarn bypass therefore we need to be more realistic in our aspirations for Dorglwyd corner. Having discussed the project on site with both Elin Jones AM and Ben Lake MP last week we were of the opinion that a much smaller project which could solve the Dorglwyd issue was feasible and be much cheaper than the present scheme. We will wait for the consultation period in 2019.”

Continue Reading

Popular This Week