Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Politics

Welsh Government’s TVR investment probed

Published

on

TVR: Questions remain over Government role

THE WELSH G​OVERNMENT has been questioned about its investment in sports car manufacturer TVR.

On Tuesday (Jan 16), the Government announced that it had acquired a 3% stake in TVR; it has also provided a £2m loan to the company, which says there is another 12 months of research and development to go before it begins constructing cars in Ebbw Vale.

The planned TVR site was acquired by the Welsh Government last year and includes the 200,000 sq ft former Techboard building.

The terms of TVR’s lease have not been revealed by the Welsh Government. The TVR deal is part of a Welsh Government plan to build up automotive and manufacturing industry in Ebbw Vale and the surrounding areas following the Welsh Government’s withdrawal from involvement in the Circuit of Wales plan.

TVR claims that moving the car maker there will create up to 150 jobs.

However, official accounts lodged with Companies House indicate a headcount of just six jobs at TVR Manufacturing Ltd, despite that jobs pledge. The headcount at its ‘parent company’, TVR Automotive Ltd was recorded as ‘0’.

Official company accounts also reveal the extent of Welsh Government financial support for TVR: Shareholding of 100,000 shares in TVR Automotive Limited (a company listed as ‘dormant’ on Companies House) £2,000,000 in the form of a ‘long term loan’ which is repayable on demand until TVR secures £5.5m in further equity funding – though the company’s accounts suggest that the Welsh Government ‘has indicated that they have no intention of demanding repayment’.

Shadow Economy Secretary – Russell George – is calling for assurances from the Welsh Government that taxpayer money is being properly safeguarded.

He said: “We need to see tangible evidence that this investment represents value for money.

“The prestige of the TVR badge is one thing – and there is understandable excitement around their decision to locate in Wales.

“However, we need to see the jobs that were promised, and as major shareholders in the company the Welsh public will want to see genuine progress.

“Ultimately, commercial common sense dictates that there must be an economic benefit to this spending.

“Millions of pounds have been invested in TVR, and the Welsh Government must ensure that this exciting project doesn’t turn into another disappointment for the people of Blaenau Gwent.”

The Welsh Government has been repeatedly criticised by the Wales Audit Office and Assembly scrutiny committees for its participation in a series of commercial investments.

A scathing report delivered in 2016 revealed that the Welsh Government had ignored the views of its own senior civil servants in saying it was pressing on with the Circuit of Wales development in the run up to the last Assembly election and blew £9.3m of public money on the scheme, including funding the acquisition of a motorcycle company in Oxfordshire.

The Welsh Government accepted ten out of eleven recommendations made by the Assembly’s Public Accounts Committee following the collapse of steel coating firm Kancoat in Swansea.

Kancoat had received £3.4m of public funds in the teeth of advice to then Economy Secretary Edwina Hart that the investment was high risk and Kancoat’s business plan was ‘weak’. Moreover, there was no record of a key meeting in which funding to Kancoat was discussed.

A 2015 report revealed that 54 companies that had received Welsh Government support had either ceased trading or become insolvent, owing the taxpayer over £11m; in 2016 Main Port Engineering in Pembroke Dock, which had received £650K from the Welsh Government the previous year went bust owing £1.1m; £1m was given to Kukd, in Cwmbran, which then outsourced jobs supposed to be in Wales.

An investment in Pinewood studios resulted in the creation of only 50 of a promised 2,000 jobs.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

Covid-19 restriction relaxations in Wales brought forward

Published

on

THE WELSH GOVERNMENT will be accelerating elements of its programme to relax Covid-19 restrictions as cases of new infections continue to fall across Wales, the First Minister today announced.

People will be able to form an extended household, visit the gym or take part in organised outdoor activities a week earlier than planned, as the public health situation – and vaccination rates – continue to improve.

The First Minister last week set out a detailed timetable for moving Wales firmly into alert level three. But some of these measures will now be introduced sooner than planned as cases have fallen markedly from 37 cases per 100,000 people to fewer than 21 per 100,000 this week.

The pressure on hospitals also continues to ease. Confirmed cases in hospital beds continue to reduce, and now stands at 89. This is 26% lower than last Thursday and is the lowest position since 22 September 2020.

The planned opening date for organised outdoor activities and outdoor wedding receptions will be moved forward to Monday 26 April from 3 May.

And, from Monday 3 May, a week earlier than previously signalled, gyms, leisure centres and fitness facilities will be able to reopen for individual or one-to-one training. Extended households will also be allowed again, enabling two households to meet and have contact indoors.

First Minister, Mark Drakeford said:

“The public health situation in Wales continues to improve thanks to everything you are doing to help us control this awful virus. Cases of the virus are falling and our incredible vaccination programme continues to go from strength to strength.

“Last week, we set out our programme to further re-open the economy and relax the restrictions we have lived with for so long, as part of our careful, step-by-step approach to keeping everyone safe. This week, because of the improvements we continue to see, we can bring forward some of our plans.

“This is only possible because of the efforts everyone is making to protect themselves and their loved ones.”

From Monday 12 April, the following relaxations will go ahead:

  • The full return of children to schools for face-to-face education, all post-16 learners will return to further education and training centres, and university campus’ will be able to open for blended face-to-face/online learning for all students;
  • All remaining shops will reopen, completing the phased reopening of non-essential retail;
  • All remaining close contact services will open, including mobile services;
  • Travel restrictions on traveling into and out of Wales will be lifted. However, restrictions on travel to countries outside the Common Travel Area without a reasonable excuse, remain in place. The Common Travel Area means the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man and the Republic of Ireland;
  • Wedding ‘show-arounds’ by appointment are allowed;
  • Restrictions on political canvassing are removed, subject to canvassers doing so safely.
  • Further easements to restrictions in the coming weeks will be subject to the public health situation remaining favourable. These will be confirmed at the next three-weekly review of the coronavirus regulations on 22 April.

On Monday 26 April:

  • Outdoor attractions, including funfairs and theme parks, would be allowed to reopen;
  • Outdoor hospitality can resume, including at cafes, pubs and restaurants. Indoor hospitality will remain closed except for takeaways;
  • Organised outdoor activities for up to 30 people can again take place (previously Monday 3 May);
  • Weddings receptions can take place outdoors for up to 30 people (previously Monday 3 May).

On Monday 3 May (previously Monday 10 May):

  • Gyms, leisure centres and fitness facilities can reopen. This will include individual or one-to-one training but not exercise classes;
    Extended household will again allow two households to meet and have contact indoors.
  • As set out in the revised Coronavirus Control Plan, a small number of outdoor pilot events of between 200 and 1,000 people are also being planned.
Continue Reading

News

Ceredigion MS and MP call on Welsh Government to support agricultural shows

Published

on

ELIN JONES MS and Ben Lake MP have called on the Welsh Government to provide financial support to all agricultural shows to see them through to 2022 

A number of shows up and down the county were forced to cancel last year, starving farming communities of annual chances to meet acquaintances, denying traders a vital market and rural charities of fundraising activities and ultimately causing significant losses to the rural economy. 

About seven million people attend agricultural and county shows across the UK every year, and numbers were growing before the pandemic, according to the Association of Show and Agricultural Organisations (ASAO), the voice of the agricultural show industry. 

Ben Lake MP calls on Welsh Government to support agricultural shows

In 2019, agricultural shows across the UK generated £128.6m of income, the ASAO figures show. But the mass cancellation of physical shows last year led to a £36.5m loss, while the impact on the wider economy was an estimated loss of £810m. 

Some agriculture show organisers in Ceredigion have already announced cancellations of their 2021 events. These include: Aberystwyth County Show, Lampeter Stallion Show, Barley Saturday, and Llanilar Show. 

With the possibility of further show cancellations this year, Elin Jones MS and Ben Lake MP have called on the Welsh Government to provide financial support to all agricultural shows to see them through to 2022.  

Elin Jones MS said: “For many farming families in Ceredigion, the agricultural show season is the highlight of the year. Every agricultural show plays an important part in promoting our nation’s rural sector, in addition to the rich array of traditions and history associated with rural Wales. 

“Whilst virtual agricultural shows went some way to filling the void left by the cancellations in 2020, nothing replaces the buzz of live outdoor shows.  They give opportunities for communities to come together and provide a vital hub for the farming and rural community to meet, socialise and conduct business.” 

Ben Lake MP added: “Agricultural shows and societies are a crucial feature of the annual calendar for most rural communities, showcasing the heritage of key elements of farming and rural life in Ceredigion. 

“With the possibility of further show cancellations in 2021, we believe it is timely for the Welsh Government to consider providing a one-off grant payment to all agricultural shows to ensure that they are able to see this pandemic through.” 

Continue Reading

News

16 and 17 year old’s urged to register to vote in this year’s Senedd Elections

Published

on

ELIN JONES, Ceredigion’s Member of the Senedd, has urged everyone who will be 16 years old by or on the 6th of May – Senedd Election Day – to register to vote. This is the first time 16 and 17 years olds will be able to vote in a national election in Wales.

Speaking directly to young people in Ceredigion, Elin said: “One of my proudest achievements from the last Senedd has been helping to pass the law that has extended the vote to 16 and 17 year olds.

“This is the biggest change in voting rights in Wales for many, many years.

“So many aspects of young people’s lives have been turned upside down by the pandemic, so it’s completely right that you have the democratic right to express your opinions on how things have been run.

“We now have a fixed date for the election, providing the Covid situation doesn’t change. So if you will be 16 years old or older by the 6th of May, then make sure you register to vote. Your voice counts, and I hope that you will use it.”

Continue Reading

Popular This Week