Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

‘Misunderstanding’ over driving ban

Published

on

A LLANDYSUL man stopped by police after speeding past them in his Vauxhall Corsa was found to have been disqualified three months before.

Samuel Nugent, 26, pleaded guilty to driving while disqualified and without valid insurance when he appeared before magistrates in Llanelli Law Courts.

Prosecuting, Sian Cutter said that on October 23, police on patrol in Priory Street, Carmarthen, saw Nugent’s car drive past them at speed.

They pulled the car over and spoke to Nugent and a background check was carried out which showed that he had been disqualified from driving for six months in his absence in July.

Nugent was originally disqualified as a result of points accrued for not having valid insurance on a provisional licence.

The court heard that Nugent had 31 previous convictions for 59 offences.

Mitigating, duty solicitor Richard Morgan asked that Nugent be given full credit for his early guilty plea and full admissions.

He added that Nugent, who had been badly injured in an accident some years previously, had thought that he had been disqualified for three months and his ban had expired.

“It was a genuine misunderstanding,” he remarked.

Nugent was banned from driving for a year, fined £240, and ordered to pay costs totalling £115.

News

Former AM charged with child porn offences

Published

on

SIMON THOMAS, the former Plaid Cymru AM for Mid & West Wales has been charged with three offences of making indecent images of children.

Mr Thomas, aged 54, was charged with the offences earlier today (Sept 18) at Aberystwyth Police Station.

He has been bailed to appear at Aberystwyth Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday, October 3.

At the time of his arrest, Mr Thomas was his Party’s spokesperson on Rural Affairs and Energy policy and had recently taken up a role which would have seen him perform a significant role in Plaid Cymru’s future campaigns.

His arrest in July was a shock both to his political allies and those in other parties in the Assembly.

Following his arrest, Mr Thomas resigned immediately as an Assembly Member and from Plaid Cymru. He was replaced as regional AM by Helen Mary Jones.

Continue Reading

News

Storm Helene could bring 70mph winds

Published

on

WINDS of up to 70mph could batter the county on Monday and Tuesday (Sept 17-18) with a yellow weather warning issued by the Met Office.

Storm Helene is set to arrive on Monday evening at around 6pm and last until Tuesday at around 8am.

Operational Meteorologist for the Met Office Martin Bowles said: “An issue is that trees are in full leaf and so are more likely to be blown over in strong winds than they would be in the middle of winter.

“That could be a problem.

“The storm will head straight up through the Irish Sea and across the North of England on Monday night, bringing some heavy rain and some strong winds.

“We have updated some areas to a yellow warning.”

Motorists are advised to allow extra time for their journeys and take extra care on the roads.

Continue Reading

News

Police confirm body found following Belgrave House fire

Published

on

POLICE have confirmed that remains of a male have been recovered during the search at Belgrave House Hotel, Aberystwyth.

The remains have not yet been identified.

The family of the missing Lithuanian man have been informed of this development.

H.M.Coroner has been updated and a Home Office post mortem has been arranged

The search of the scene continues.

Police are in consultation with the Crown Prosecution Service over this development.

Continue Reading

Popular This Week