Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Busy weekend for New Quay Lifeboat

Published

on

NEW QUAY RNLI Lifeboat Station in Ceredigion had a busy bank holiday weekend with its annual Open Day taking place on Sunday (May 27) and then two calls out to assist people cut off by the tide.

The New Quay ILB (inshore lifeboat) was called out on consecutive late afternoons with the first launch was on Sunday, May 27 with Bernie Davies at the helm and Dylan Price and Heather Rees-Gaut. The Open Day had finished and as the crew were packing up they witnessed people stranded on the rocks nearby and a dingy going to help.

The second took place on Bank Holiday Monday (May 28) with volunteer mechanic Simon Rigby at the helm, accompanied by crew members Huw Williams and George Walton.

Simon said: “We had a busy bank holiday weekend with the Open Day and then two shouts. The first was very near to the station where people were stuck on the rocks and ended up in the water and the second we launched to reports of two people and a dog cut off by the tide near Target Rock in New Quay. Once on the scene we found the people climbing up the rock face.”

As the RNLI’s national drowning prevention campaign Respect the Water enters its fifth year, the charity is urging anyone who finds themselves in trouble in cold water to stay calm and ‘float’.  Simon also emphasises: “Remember if you get cut off by the tide, don’t put yourself in danger by climbing the cliffs. Raise the alarm and wait for help to arrive.”

Roger Couch, New Quay Lifeboat Operations Manager said: “We had a very successful Open Day on Sunday with people coming far and wide to support the lifeboat station here in New Quay. We raised nearly £1,000 which is excellent and I would like to thank all those involved, the crew and the fundraisers as without them it would not have been possible.

“The volunteer crew at New Quay station show dedication and commitment by giving their time and bravery. As recent figures have shown eight people lost their lives at the coast of Wales in 2017 with 12 in 2016, of these figures over half had not intended to enter the water therefore vigilance around the coastline is key.”

News

‘Victims will be at heart of the organisation’ says re-elected’ – Dafydd Llywelyn

Published

on

DAFYDD LLYWELYN who has been re-elected as Police and Crime Commissioner for Dyfed-Powys has said that he will ensure victims are placed at the heart of the Dyfed-Powys Police organisation as he prepares to start his second term in Office this week.

On Sunday 9 May 2021, it was announced that Mr Llywelyn won in the second round of voting, with first and second preference votes totalling 94,488.

Mr Dafydd Llywelyn told The Herald: “I am extremely pleased that I have been re-elected, and I’m grateful to the residents of Dyfed-Powys for putting their faith in me.

“To serve as a Police and Crime Commissioner is a privilege that carries great responsibility, and an honour that I do not take lightly.   I will ensure that the safety of our communities and the voice of victims are placed at the heart of this organisation as I look to support the Force to recover from the pressures put upon us in the last year due to the Covid-19 pandemic.”

On Friday 7th of May, it was announced that Dyfed-Powys Police had been issued with an accelerated cause of concern, after failing to make improvements in crime-recording practices highlighted by HMICFRS in 2018.

During his first visit to Police Headquarters since the elections, PCC Dafydd Llywelyn said that he was disappointed despite being given assurances that improvements were being made in line with HMICFRS recommendations.

“Since 2018, I’ve been re-assured by the Chief Constable and the Force’s Chief Officers that improvements were being made in relation to crime recording, and I’m extremely disappointed and concerned that despite my scrutiny over the years, it has been confirmed by HMICFRS that there are still significant failures, but I am pleased however, that improvements are already being made.

“The residents of Dyfed-Powys should expect that reports of crime are recorded and investigated, and I will move swiftly over coming weeks to appoint a Chief Constable who will continue to address this issue and who will focus on placing victims at the heart of Dyfed-Powys Police”.

Additional MOJ Funding

The Police and Crime Commissioner was pleased to announce that additional funding had been secured by his Office to support organisations that provide support to victims of domestic and sexual abuse in Dyfed-Powys.

“We have already this week heard the news that we have been successful in our application to the Ministry of Justice to secure approximately £450,000 of additional investment into services for high risk victims of domestic and sexual abuse in Dyfed Powys.

“This is in addition to our annual victims grant and the uplift we secured last year for sexual abuse services, which allowed us to develop outreach services aimed at our rural communities and older victims in particular.”

“I am disappointed with the HMICFRS findings, and will ensure that we fully understand the position that we find ourselves in and the investment that I make as a Commissioner into services for victims provides the necessary level of support.  I want residents to feel confident that they have a Force that meets the needs and expectation of our local communities.”

“The public have put their trust in me, and I will repay that trust by holding the Chief Constable to account for addressing the HMICFRS’s concerns.”

Continue Reading

News

Plaid’s Dafydd Llywelyn re-elected as Police and Crime Commissioner

Published

on

THE NEW Police and Crime Commissioner for the Dyfed Powys Area has been announced.

Incumbent, Dafydd Llywelyn, of Plaid Cymru – The Party of Wales, has been re-elected for a second term.

The election was held Thursday, 06 May 2021, at the same time as the Senedd Cymru elections.

In order to follow all coronavirus regulations, the count for this election was held on Sunday, 09 May 2021.

The announcement was made in Ceredigion, at the Ysgol Bro Teifi, Llandysul.

Dafydd Llywelyn, was first elected as one of the two new Plaid Cymru PCCs during 2016’s election and is the PCC for Dyfed-Powys Police. 

The force covers over half the land mass of Wales and during the PCC elections had the highest turnout of all PCC elections at 49%.

Mr Llywelyn is a former Principal Intelligence Analyst and worked within Police Intelligence for many years before, in 2014, moving to Aberystwyth University to lecture on Criminology. His career has provided him with considerable insight into core policing issues as well as an understanding of what the public want from the service. He has pledged to reinvest in CCTV and prevention activities and has refused to appoint a deputy.

Standing against him were three other candidates – Jon Burns (Conservative); Philippa Thompson (Labour) and Glyn Preston (Welsh Liberal Democrats).

The results for Dyfed-Powys Police and Crime Commissioner’s elections were as follows:

1st Round

Jon Burns (Conservatives); 69,112

Dafydd Llywelyn (Plaid Cymru); 68208

Philippa Thompson (Labour): 48033

Glyn Preston (Welsh Liberal Democrats) 17649

2nd Round

Jon Burns: 8209

Dafydd Llywelyn: 26280

This was the third time police and crime commissioner elections have been held. The election was originally due to take place in May 2020 but was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The new PCC term begins on Thursday, May 13, 2021.

Under the terms of the Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011, PCCs must:

  • secure an efficient and effective police for their area;
  • appoint the Chief Constable, hold them to account for running the force, and if necessary dismiss them;
  • set the police and crime objectives for their area through a police and crime plan;
  • set the force budget and determine the precept;
  • contribute to the national and international policing capabilities set out by the Home Secretary; and
  • bring together community safety and criminal justice partners, to make sure local priorities are joined up.
Continue Reading

News

Tregaron man charged with rape following large scale search for suspect

Published

on

POLICE in Ceredigion have confirmed that man has been charged following the large police presence and search in the Lampeter area on Thursday, May 6.

A police operation was launched after an allegation of a serious sexual assault.

Officers have now confirmed that 45-year-old Saul Henvey, of Tregaron, has been charged with rape.

He is due to appear at Aberystwyth Magistrates Court on Monday, May 10.

Detectives dealing with the case that they would continue to provide specialist support to the victim.

A spokesperson said: “We would once again like to thank the public for their assistance in this investigation.”

Continue Reading

Popular This Week