Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Future of Wales’ new and improved rail services revealed

Published

on

KEOLISAMEY, the new operators of Wales and Border rail services, have outlined their plans for the next 15 years of travel services.

The company, who won the £5bn bid to take over the services last month, say they will spend £800m on new trains, increasing capacity by two-thirds, and provide new trains for 95% of journeys within five years.

600 additional staff will be recruited and four new Cardiff light rail stations will be built, as part of the South Wales Metro.

They will be at Gabalfa, Crwys Road, Loudoun Square and The Flourish.

The company takes over from Arriva Trains Wales in October.

Carwyn Jones, the First Minister, has called the plans a ‘landmark moment in the future development of Wales’.

He said: “People said they wanted affordable fares and newer, cleaner trains and we have worked hard to ensure this is reflected in what we are launching today.”

All new trains, rail cars and buses will be red and black, and branded with Transport for Wales logos, rather than company logos.

The French-Spanish joint venture said that half of the new trains will be built in Wales and £1.9bn is being put towards improving the travel experience for passengers.

Looking to modernise the train services, smart ticketing will provide flexible fares and cheaper off-peak prices. WiFi on the trains will also be improved.

They are promising an additional 285 extra services on Monday to Friday, with 294 extra Sunday services.

The company said that Wales’ railway will be ‘unrecognisable’ in five years.

Alistair Gordon, Chief Executive of Keolis UK, said: “For too long the railways in Wales have suffered from under investment and, while the changes we need to make will take time, we are creating a platform for future economic growth and prosperity that will benefit all of Wales now and for generations to come.”

Welsh Secretary Alun Cairns said: “It is important that future investment provides visible and practical improvements to the rail travel experience on a franchise with the potential to grow transport links between England and Wales.”

James Price, Chief Executive of Transport for Wales, said: “This is more than a significant investment in rail services, it’s also an investment in the future prosperity of Wales.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Police call for vigilance to report illegal raves

Published

on

DYFED-POWYS POLICE is asking farmers and local landowners to be on the alert over the next few months for warning signs of any illegal gatherings planned for their land over the summer.

Gatherings – such as illegal raves – can cause considerable anxiety to the community and if they are not dealt with swiftly, they are difficult to stop or otherwise control, due often to the sheer numbers of persons involved and the safety aspects surrounding breaking up such an event.

Superintendent Robyn Mason said: “There is little doubt that these type of events are very well planned, organised and that local knowledge is important in drawing down the main group to a particular ‘vulnerable’ field, or area of land which has been targeted previously as a suitable venue.

“Farmers, landowners and local communities are encouraged to report any suspicious activity immediately to the Police; this may be an unusual numbers of vehicles, especially camper vans, vans or trucks in the locality, illegal trespassers who may be doing ‘recce’ of sites in advance of the event.

“I can assure local communities that Police will take the appropriate action to deter illegal gatherings and deal robustly with any criminal offences discovered or disclosed.”  

Members of the public are also urged to be vigilant of persons who approach landowners or enquiring for land, in the guise of hiring for apparently acceptable activities such as gymkhanas and scouts/guides events.

Please contact Police on 101 with reports on any suspicious activity.

Continue Reading

News

Wheelchair-bound man jailed for child sex offences

Published

on

A CHILD sex offender from Ystrad Meurig has been jailed despite being wheelchair-bound.

Dean Harper, aged 61, had distributed child pornography and tried to entice a 10-year-old girl into sexually abusing herself and sending him photographs.

Harper, of Sisial y Pin, Ffair Rhos, admitted downloading 317 indecent images of children in the most serious category A, 400 in category B and 500 in C.

He also admitted sending images in all three categories to a third party, all on a single day in October, 2016.

Harper also admitted attempting to incite the girl into sexual activity knowing that she was only 10-years-old.

Kevin Jones, prosecuting, told Swansea Crown Court that the distribution of the images alerted the police who raided Harper’s home and removed computer equipment.

An examination of his internet activity revealed he had made contact with a girl via social media and swapped messages with her.

The judge, Mr Recorder Peter Griffiths told Harper his offending was serious and a jail sentence was inevitable despite his disability.

Harper was jailed for a total of two years and ordered to register with the police as a sex offender for 10 years.

He was also made the subject of a sexual harm prevention order which will restrict his contact with young people and his internet activity after his release from prison.

Continue Reading

News

Royals set to visit Ceredigion during summer visit

Published

on

AS PART of their annual summer visit to Wales, The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will be visiting Ceredigion next month.

From July 2-6, Charles and Camilla will tour the country, undertaking over 20 engagements across the country.

On July 3, The Prince of Wales will visit Dà Mhìle Distillery, Llandysul, the first organic distillery in the UK approved by the Soil Association, where he was previously gifted the thousandth bottle to be produced by Dà Mhìle.

The Prince of Wales will also visit St. Gwenog’s Church, Llanwenog, and view their unique carvings created by Joseph Reubens, a Belgian World War One refugee. His Royal Highness will also meet members of their local community.

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall’s fourteenth annual Summer visit to Wales will feature celebrations to mark the 70th Anniversary of The National Health Service and the marking the 150th anniversary of the Heart of Wales railway line amongst other events.

A Clarence House spokesperson said: “The Prince and The Duchess are really looking forward to their annual summer visit to Wales where they will be celebrating key anniversaries for the National Health Service, the Heart of Wales railway line and the 90th anniversary of Gwent Association of Voluntary Organisation. Their Royal Highnesses relish the opportunity to meet members of the community who are making a difference to Welsh life.”

Continue Reading

Popular This Week