Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Welsh Peer visits genocide site

Published

on

LORD BOURNE of Aberystwyth, the Minister for Faith, recently made a poignant visit to Sarajevo and Srebrenica, the site of the worst atrocity on European soil since the Second World War.

Last Monday (Aug 27), Lord Bourne heard testimony from survivors of genocide and ethnic cleansing, met civic and spiritual leaders and paid his respects at the Srebrenica-Potočari Memorial and Cemetery for the Victims of the 1995 genocide, in a journey organised by UK charity Remembering Srebrenica.

While in Sarajevo, the capital of Bosnia-Herzegovina, Lord Bourne visited different places of worship to witness the religious diversity of the city. Sarajevo is one of the few places in the world where you can find an Orthodox Cathedral, a Synagogue and Mosque less than a five-minute walk apart.

The Minister for Faith learnt how even a city with a centuries-old tradition of multiculturalism can be torn apart by hatred and intolerance.

Commenting on his visit to Srebrenica and Sarajevo, Lord Bourne said: “The tragedy of Srebrenica holds vital lessons for communities across the UK and serves as a constant reminder of the importance of challenging hatred and bigotry, wherever and whenever it occurs.

“I am grateful for the opportunity to visit Srebrenica, and to meet with survivors and pay my respects to those who died. It has been hugely valuable to gain a deeper understanding of the Srebrenica genocide and to hear how different faith groups can work together to rebuild their communities.”

Lord Bourne paid his respects at the Srebrenica Memorial site in Potočari where on July 11 1995, Bosnian Serb General Ratko Mladić and his forces seized the eastern Bosnian town of Srebrenica, which had been declared a UN ‘safe zone’ in 1993.

Over the following week, more than 8000 Bosnian Muslim men and boys would be systematically murdered simply because of their faith. Both the International Criminal Court and the International Criminal Tribunal for former Yugoslavia have ruled Srebrenica a genocide.

In November 2017, Ratko Mladić was found guilty of the genocide and was sentenced to life imprisonment. While in Potočari, the Minister for Faith met the ‘Mothers of Srebrenica’ who lost sons, husbands and other male relatives in the genocide.

Dr Waqar Azmi OBE, Chair of the charity Remembering Srebrenica, accompanied the Minister for Faith on his visit to Srebrenica and Sarajevo. Dr Waqar Azmi OBE said: “Until you see the graves at Potočari and breathe in the silence and grief, you do not truly understand the significance of the events in Srebrenica in July 1995. I am delighted to have the opportunity to attend this delegation with the Minister for Faith and pleased that Remembering Srebrenica has been able to facilitate meetings for the Minister with survivors of genocide and ethnic cleansing.

“It is my hope that Lord Bourne is able to bring all he learns in Sarajevo and Srebrenica back to government and will help Remembering Srebrenica continue to raise awareness about the genocide.”

Since being established in 2013, Remembering Srebrenica has taken over 1,200 British citizens to Srebrenica to learn about the consequences of hatred. On their return from the ‘Lessons from Srebrenica’ programme, delegates fulfil their pledge to tackle hatred by setting up social action projects and bringing communities together to remember the victims.

Over the last five years the charity has brought communities together by organising almost 5,500 Srebrenica memorial activities across the UK and has educated 75,000 young people about the dangers of hatred left unchecked. It has created 1,200 Community Champions Against Hate in local communities across the UK.

News

NHS Wales announce first and second dose vaccination walk-in clinics

Published

on

Hywel Dda UHB is running walk-in vaccination clinics this week. There is no need to contact the health board to book an appointment and if you have already registered using the health board’s online form, you are still welcome to attend the walk-in clinic.

If you have a scheduled appointment, please keep your appointment time. 

With the rise in cases across the UK it is important that as many people come forward for their first and second vaccines.

First vaccine walk-in clinics for anyone aged 18 and over who hasn’t had their first COVID-19 vaccine yet:

  • Aberystwyth (Thomas Parry Library, SY23 3FL): Thursday 24 and Friday 25 June, 10am to 8pm.
  • Cardigan (Teifi Leisure Centre SA43 1HG): Friday 25 June, 9.30am to 5pm.
  • Carmarthen (Halliwell Conference Centre, UWTSD, SA31 3EP): Monday 21, Tuesday 22, Wednesday 23, Thursday 24 and Friday 25 June, 10am to 8pm. 
  • Llanelli (Ffwrnes Theatre SA15 3YE): Thursday 24 and Friday 25 June, 10am to 8pm. 
  • Tenby (Tenby Leisure Centre, SA70 8EJ): Saturday 26 and Sunday 27 June, 10am to 8pm

Second vaccine walk-in clinics (please only attend if the centre is giving the same vaccine that you had for your first dose. This information can be found on your vaccine card.)

  • Aberystwyth (Thomas Parry Library, SY23 3FL): Monday 21, Tuesday 22 and Wednesday 23 June, 10am to 8pm. Second dose Moderna vaccine only if you had your first dose on or before 11 April.
  • Llanelli (Ffwrnes Theatre SA15 3YE): Monday 21, Tuesday 22 and Wednesday 23 June, 10am to 8pm. Second dose Moderna vaccine only if you had your first dose on or before 11 April.
  • Tenby (Tenby Leisure Centre, SA70 8EJ): Friday 25 June, 10am to 8pm. Second dose Oxford Astrazeneca vaccine only if you had your first dose on or before 25 April.

If you are unable to attend a walk-in clinic, you can still request your first vaccine by completing this form

To request your second dose please use this request form.

If you or someone you know is unable to use an online form, please contact our booking team on 0300 303 8322.

Important: By travelling to a centre, you accept there is a risk that all vaccines will be allocated before you arrive. If you arrive after all the vaccines are allocated, we will take your contact details and add you to our reserve list.

Continue Reading

News

Ceredigion RAF Veteran completes 500-mile walk around Scotland for RNLI Mayday

Published

on

ROGER PHILLIPS, an RAF veteran, recently completed a 500-mile walk around the north coast of Scotland. Roger, 73, chose to support the RNLI in their Mayday appeal after having survived becoming trapped in his sinking aircraft and nearly drowning in 1973.

After Roger’s dramatic experience, in which he became trapped in a sinking aircraft after it went down in the South China Sea, he chose to support the RNLI to help them continue to help other people who get into trouble in the water. In order to show his admiration for all the work that the RNLI has done over the years and continues to do, he decided to tackle Scotland’s 500 mile long North Coast route as part of the RNLI’s Mayday mile fundraiser.

Roger, from Aberaeron, Ceredigion began his journey from the village of Lochcarron and walked clockwise around the coastline managing to complete the entire 500 miles in 28 days. Despite difficult weather conditions and terrain, Roger still managed to achieve an 20.04 miles on the last day averaging 16 minutes 49 seconds per mile.

Reflecting on the challenge, Roger said: “The most outstanding thing to me was that I finished in Lochcarron and then it took 12 hours to drive home to Aberaeron and even I could not believe that was the same mileage as I had just walked. Put into a straight line the distance became unbelievable.”

Catherine Jones, RNLI Community Manager for North and Mid Wales said: “Throughout the Mayday challenge we have seen countless people show their support for the RNLI in many weird and wonderful ways. Roger’s has completed an amazing feat and raised a brilliant amount that will be essential to the RNLI’s ability to continue keeping people around the coast safe.

“The amount of support we’ve received from people like Roger who have gone above and beyond is truly heart-warming. It is thanks to people like him that our volunteer crews will be able to continue to save lives at sea particularly ahead of this summer which is looking to be one of the busiest ever.”

If you’d like to contribute to Roger’s fundraising efforts or find out more, you can via his Just Giving page here: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/walkthe500walkwithRoger

Continue Reading

News

Aberystwyth CID appeal following serious assault

Published

on

ABERYSTWYTH CID are investigating a serious assault that occurred in the Castle Street area of Aberystwyth at approx. 4.45pm on Tuesday, June 15 2021. Following medical treatment the victim is recovering at home. Police are appealing for any witnesses to the assault and anyone in the vicinity around this time, or immediately prior to the incident, that may have witnessed people acting suspiciously.

Anyone with information that could help officers with their investigation is asked to report it to Dyfed-Powys Police, either online at https://bit.ly/DPPContactOnline, by emailing 101@dyfed-powys.pnn.police.uk, or by calling 101. If you are deaf, hard of hearing, or speech impaired text the non-emergency number on 07811 311 908. Alternatively, contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously by calling 0800 555111, or visiting crimestoppers-uk.org. Quote reference: DP-20210615-268

Continue Reading

Popular This Week