Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Dyfed-Powys sees drop in child abuse images charges

Published

on

DYFED-POWYS POLICE is the only force in Wales to see a drop in child abuse images charges.

The figure has dropped to 275 in 2017/18, compared to 363 in 2016/17.

NSPCC Cymru have said following the new data being made public that social media was largely to blame and said platforms needed independent regulation.

The most common offence – making up nearly two-thirds of all charges – is related to taking, making or distributing indecent images.

Des Mannion, head of the NSPCC Cymru, said: “Every one of these images represents a real child who has been groomed and abused to supply the demand of this appalling trade.

“The lack of adequate protections on social networks has given offenders all too easy access to children to target and abuse.

“We are calling on the UK Government to introduce a tough independent regulator to hold social networks to account and tackle grooming to cut off supply of these images at source.”

UK crime minister Victoria Atkins has called the extent of child pornography a ‘stain on our world’.

She added: “The home secretary has made five unequivocal demands of web giants to remove child sexual abuse content from their platforms, including stopping grooming and shutting down live-streaming.

“He expects immediate action and how far we legislate will be informed by the action and attitude taken by the technology industry.”

News

New Quay: RNLI receives donation from local couple

Published

on

LINDA and Tony Miles from Llandysul recently donated a sum of money to New Quay Lifeboat Station on behalf of their grandson.

Being former members of Teifi Boating Club in Gwbert, their grandson Robert had asked for his Christmas present money to go to the RNLI at New Quay.

On receiving the donation Roger Couch, New Quay RNLI’s Lifeboat Operations Manager said “We would like to thank Robert for his kind thoughts and generosity. Donating money to New Quay Lifeboat Station ensures we can carry on with our lifesaving work in Cardigan Bay.”

Continue Reading

News

Ten years for baby abusing paedophile who handed himself in to police

Published

on

A LLANILAR man who confessed to child sex offences no-one was aware of was jailed for 10 years on Friday (Jan 18).

Jared Perry, aged 32, walked into Aberystwyth police station and told officers he had sexually assaulted seven children, three of them when they were babies.

Perry, of Talardeg, was told by Judge Paul Thomas that he was a dangerous offender as defined by law and would be on licence and liable to be recalled to prison until 2035.

John Hipkin, prosecuting, told Swansea Crown Court that he made members of his family aware that he had committed child sex offences.

Perry promised “to change” but went on to sexually assault more children.

Judge Paul Thomas said those who were aware of Perry’s offending would have to live with their decision not to inform the police.

Eventually Perry’s conscience got the better of him and he made full admissions to the police.

Mr Hipkin said the prosecution had to accept that there was no evidence of his offending apart from his confession.

He said one of Perry’s victims was a two month old baby.

Mr Hipkin said some of the assaults happened when Perry was about 16. There was then a gap before a second spate of offences when he was aged between 26 and 29.

Perry’s barrister, Dean Pulling, said he had been brought up in a deeply religious environment and had been driven by his conscience to confess.

Perry admitted 10 offences of indecent assault and sexual assault on children aged under 13.

Judge Thomas said there were aspects of the case that were unique to the point of being bizarre.

“The evidence comes solely from your own admissions.

“One truly shocking aspect is that after those first offences you told members of your family.

“For reasons known best only to them, and which they will have to live with, they did not inform the police.

“No doubt they gave you a chance because you promised to change. But you did not. You were unable to prevent yourself from re-offending.”

Judge Thomas said he was in no doubt whatsoever that Perry posed an extremely high risk of sexually harming children in the future.

Perry was made the subject of a Sexual Harm Prevention Order and told to register with the police as a sex offender, both orders to run for the rest of his life.

Continue Reading

News

D-Day anniversary offer for veterans

Published

on

FOLLOWING the first meeting of 2019, the Ceredigion Armed Forces Community Covenant (CAFCC) wishes to endorse Royal British Legion’s generous offer of providing a fully-funded tour back to the beaches for 300 D-Day veterans.

June 6 marks the 75th anniversary of the D-Day Landings.

Following the CAFCC meeting, Councillor Paul Hinge, Ceredigion’s Armed Forces Champion said, “This most generous gesture is fantastic, everyone of those eligible to travel is a nonagenarian 90+ year old and this trip will be a fitting way to say ‘thank you’ for their contribution as the Allies won WW2.”

The Royal British Legion, in partnership with Arena Travel, have chartered a ship, the MV Boudicca, to provide a fully funded tour for 300 D-Day Veterans from 02 June until 09 June. Each veteran will be able to bring one carer who will also be fully funded.

Veterans interested in applying for the trip need to complete the eligibility form by Monday 4 February 2019. The eligibility form and more details of the event can be found online at: https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/community/d-day-75/

Continue Reading

Popular This Week