Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Progress being made following Tŷ Belgrave fire

Published

on

FOLLOWING the investigative work as a result of the fire at Tŷ Belgrave in Aberystwyth, Marine Terrace has now partially reopened with traffic management arrangements in place, but Terrace Road will remain closed for the medium term.

Dyfed-Powys Police and Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service have completed their tasks and have vacated the site. Fencing has been erected around the building to prevent unauthorised access and to preserve the scene for future proceedings.

Councillor Gareth Lloyd, Cabinet Member with responsibility for Public Protection Services which includes major incidents said: “There has been considerable partnership working between Dyfed-Powys Police, Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service and Ceredigion County Council, as well as other partner agencies whilst dealing with this very difficult situation. I would wish to thank the public for their patience in the previous two months and in advance as matters continue to the conclusion of these tragic circumstances.”

Senior Investigating Officer, Temporary Detective Chief Inspector Neil Jenkins, said: “Dyfed-Powys Police’s investigation in to the cause of the fire is ongoing but I am satisfied with the progress so far. Officers continue working hard behind the scenes to examine evidence and updates will be given when more information is available. I would like to thank the community for their support and understanding while this vital work has been carried out.”

Group Manager David Hancock, Lead Fire Investigator for Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service at this incident said: “The circumstances surrounding this fire has naturally required both a thorough investigation at the scene and concurrent detailed background enquiries to be conducted.

“The instability of the remaining structure presented considerable challenges to the investigation team, with a full multi-agency approach taken to ensure all available evidence could be gathered in a safe working environment.

“The efforts of Ceredigion County Council, their appointed contractors and the Wales Fire and Rescue Services Urban Search and Rescue (USAR) team are recognised as being integral to this. In association with Dyfed-Powys Police, our investigative activities to pull together all available evidence continue with a view to bringing this incident to a conclusion.”

News

Heroin could be linked to Aberysytwyth supply

Published

on

A LIVERPOOL man has admitted possessing heroin that could be linked to drugs supplied in Aberystwyth.

Jack English, aged 20, pleaded guilty to possessing a quantity of heroin with intent to supply when he appeared at Swansea Crown ccourt for a plea and trial preparation hearing before Judge Keith Thomas.

The court heard the drugs could also be linked to English’s father, who had been a heroin user who had ‘gone to Aberystwyth on many occasions’ and who had died since his son’s arrest in October 2017.

Judge Thomas said he would sentence English on January 11.

English, of Storrington Road, was granted bail meanwhile but warned that a jail sentence was the most likely outcome.

Continue Reading

News

Mark Drakeford named next First Minister

Published

on

THE NEXT First Minister of Wales will be Mark Drakeford, it has been announced this afternoon (Dec 6).

Mr Drakeford, a Cardiff West AM, was named as the winner of the Welsh Labour leadership contest at the Principality Stadium.

The contest was triggered when Carwyn Jones, the current First Minister, announced he was stepping down.

Mr Jones will officially step down on Tuesday (Dec 10).

Mr Drakeford will then be officially confirmed as the new First Minister of Wales by the National Assembly next week.

In the first round of voting, the results were:

Mark Drakeford – 46.9%
Vaughan Gething – 30.8%
Eluned Morgan – 22.3%

Eluned Morgan’s votes were then redistributed on voters’ second preferences, with the following results:

Mark Drakeford – 53.9%
Vaughan Gethin – 46.1%

Continue Reading

News

Met Office issue yellow weather warning for Friday morning

Published

on

THE MET OFFICE has warned of strong winds and heavy rain across South and West Wales as they have issued a yellow weather warning for rain on Friday (Dec 7).

Between 1am and 9am, spells of rain, heavy at times and accompanied by windy weather, are likely to produce 20-40mm of rain.

Coming after some recent wet weather, this rain is likely to lead to some temporary flooding impacts before the rain clears early Friday morning.

The Met Office are warning people that flooding of a few homes and business is likely, bus and train services, as well as roads, will probably be affected, with journey times taking longer.

Natural Resources Wales also has a flood alert in place in Pembrokeshire. Due to restrictions at the tidal outfall, river levels in the River Ritec in the Salterns area of Tenby are likely to remain high for a number of days.

River levels are rising slightly as each high tide arrives. The combination of ground conditions, existing river levels and forecast rainfall quantities gives a high risk of flooding of low-lying land during the next couple of days.

This comes a week after Yellow Weather Warnings were issued across Wales as Storm Diana brought extreme winds and heavy rain to the country.

Continue Reading

Popular This Week