Connect with us


New Quay RNLI answers two shouts in one afternoon



NEW QUAY RNLI volunteer crew were at sea all afternoon on Tuesday 23 October, firstly to reports of an upturned kayak and secondly to assist with an injured person.

The D-class inshore lifeboat (ILB), Audrey LJ, launched on service at 1:45pm, with Huw Williams at the helm and crew members Peter Yates and George Bishop, following reports of an upturned kayak off Traeth Bach, near Llangrannog.

The ILB sped down the coast in cold and blustery October conditions and, once on scene, the crew soon located not only one kayak but three. Helmsman Huw Williams, explained,

“We located the kayaks drifting about a quarter of a mile from the beach. When we got alongside we found that they were chained together and this allayed fears that we might be looking for persons in the water. We towed the kayaks to Llangrannog beach where we handed them over to our colleagues from New Quay Coastguard.”

However, this wasn’t the end of the day’s activities for the crew as they were soon diverted to a second incident at Traethgwyn, near New Quay. Crew member Peter Yates explained,

“We were on our way back to station when we were tasked by Milford Haven Coastguard to assist a person who had fallen on the beach. He had an injured knee and ankle, with a suspected dislocation, and was in a lot of pain. We kept the casualty comfortable and administered pain relief until an ambulance arrived.”

The casualty was then evacuated with assistance from the New Quay Coastguard team and transferred to Glangwili Hospital. After a busy afternoon, the ILB returned to station at 4:15pm.


Llandysul farmers plead guilty



LAST week, Mr David Davies and Mr Meirion Davies, both of Penffynnon Farm, Bangor Teifi, Llandysul, appeared before the Magistrates Court at Aberystwyth, charged with Animal Health related offences.

Both men pleaded guilty to all charges.

The charges consisted of 13 charges relating to causing unnecessary suffering to cattle, failing to meet animal needs, and charges of failure to dispose of animal by-products; namely the carcasses found on the farm.

The case follows an investigation by Ceredigion County Council Animal Health Officers. When officers visited the farm, they discovered a large number of cattle carcasses in varying states of decay in several locations.

The remaining cattle were also found to be kept in poor conditions and have since been subject to regular surveillance.

The case has been adjourned to mid-February to enable pre-sentence reports to be prepared.

Continue Reading


New Quay: RNLI receives donation from local couple



LINDA and Tony Miles from Llandysul recently donated a sum of money to New Quay Lifeboat Station on behalf of their grandson.

Being former members of Teifi Boating Club in Gwbert, their grandson Robert had asked for his Christmas present money to go to the RNLI at New Quay.

On receiving the donation Roger Couch, New Quay RNLI’s Lifeboat Operations Manager said “We would like to thank Robert for his kind thoughts and generosity. Donating money to New Quay Lifeboat Station ensures we can carry on with our lifesaving work in Cardigan Bay.”

Continue Reading


Ten years for baby abusing paedophile who handed himself in to police



A LLANILAR man who confessed to child sex offences no-one was aware of was jailed for 10 years on Friday (Jan 18).

Jared Perry, aged 32, walked into Aberystwyth police station and told officers he had sexually assaulted seven children, three of them when they were babies.

Perry, of Talardeg, was told by Judge Paul Thomas that he was a dangerous offender as defined by law and would be on licence and liable to be recalled to prison until 2035.

John Hipkin, prosecuting, told Swansea Crown Court that he made members of his family aware that he had committed child sex offences.

Perry promised “to change” but went on to sexually assault more children.

Judge Paul Thomas said those who were aware of Perry’s offending would have to live with their decision not to inform the police.

Eventually Perry’s conscience got the better of him and he made full admissions to the police.

Mr Hipkin said the prosecution had to accept that there was no evidence of his offending apart from his confession.

He said one of Perry’s victims was a two month old baby.

Mr Hipkin said some of the assaults happened when Perry was about 16. There was then a gap before a second spate of offences when he was aged between 26 and 29.

Perry’s barrister, Dean Pulling, said he had been brought up in a deeply religious environment and had been driven by his conscience to confess.

Perry admitted 10 offences of indecent assault and sexual assault on children aged under 13.

Judge Thomas said there were aspects of the case that were unique to the point of being bizarre.

“The evidence comes solely from your own admissions.

“One truly shocking aspect is that after those first offences you told members of your family.

“For reasons known best only to them, and which they will have to live with, they did not inform the police.

“No doubt they gave you a chance because you promised to change. But you did not. You were unable to prevent yourself from re-offending.”

Judge Thomas said he was in no doubt whatsoever that Perry posed an extremely high risk of sexually harming children in the future.

Perry was made the subject of a Sexual Harm Prevention Order and told to register with the police as a sex offender, both orders to run for the rest of his life.

Continue Reading

Popular This Week