Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

27 care failings before baby’s stillbirth

Published

on

A DOCTOR whose conduct of a difficult birth was heavily criticised by the General Medical Council remains on the GMC register as a member of staff at Hywel Dda UHB.

Alan Treharne qualified for appointment to the specialist register as a consultant obstetrician in October 2016.

On March 12, 2017, was responsible for the management of the delivery of a child following a complex and difficult pregnancy.

Arthur Wyn Jones was stillborn and Dr Treharne’s conduct of the birthing process was panned by a subsequent investigation.

Kara Jones and her partner Sam Penfold from Tre’r Ddol originally attended Bronglais Hospital. However, due to Ms Jones’ Type 1 diabetes, the pregnancy was complicated and Ms Jones was directed to the notionally safer consultant-led facility at Glangwili, almost three hours’ drive from her home.

In a report on S4C’s Newyddion Nawr on Tuesday (Aug 13), the couple said during the pregnancy became increasingly concerned over both the consistency and standard of care they received at Glangwili’s Ante-Natal Unit.

“We didn’t have a clue. Had no idea what was going to happen. Every time we went back there [Glangwili], they told us ‘we’re not sure about this, we’re not sure’,” she said.

Their baby, Arthur Wyn Jones, died 24 minutes after being delivered on March 12, 2017.

Ms Jones said that her reports that the baby had stopped moving were brushed aside and that her concerns about the course of her pregnancy as she approached the delivery date were similarly ignored.
Newyddion Nawr, which had a copy of an internal Hywel Dda UHB investigation, reported that medical staff ‘missed [numerous] opportunities to acknowledge the complexity of the pregnancy”

The failings in the care given to Kara Jones and her unborn child included several failings to act on abnormal scan results and not acting quickly enough to deliver Arthur when there were clear indicators the birth was going badly wrong.

Newyddion Nawr reported that the Board identified 27 separate indicators which should have raised the alarm were missed or ignored by medical staff during the pregnancy.

The consultant obstetrician responsible for overseeing the delivery received a formal warning from the General Medical Council in June last year. That warning expired just over six weeks ago, on June 29.

No restriction was placed upon Dr Treharne’s practice despite the content of the warning, which reads: “Dr Treharne failed to obtain an adequate clinical history for the patient; failed to adequately assess readings of foetal heartbeat and contractions; did not arrange continuous monitoring; did not appreciate the full significance of the clinical risks; and wrongly concluded that there was no immediate urgency to deliver the patient’s baby. The baby was stillborn.

“This conduct does not meet with the standards required of a doctor. It risks bringing the profession into disrepute and it must not be repeated. … Whilst these failings in themselves are not so serious as to require any restriction on Dr Treharne’s registration, it is necessary to issue [a] formal warning.”

Dr Treharne is shown on GMC records as a member of staff awaiting revalidation by Hywel Dda Health
Board. The responsible officer for revalidation is shown as Dr Philip Kloer, Executive Medical Director and Director of Clinical Strategy for the Health Board.

Responding to the Newyddion Nawr report, the Director of Nursing, Quality and Patient Experience for the Board, Mandy Rayani, said: “On behalf of Hywel Dda I wish to offer our sincere condolences and apologies for the distress experienced by Ms Jones and her family.

“A thorough investigation was undertaken by the health board as well as the GMC. This resulted in a number of recommendations to change procedures and clinical pathways.

“Additional learning and training for the whole multidisciplinary team have taken place across the health board area. We wish to provide assurance that all of these recommendations have been implemented.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Jail after heroin worth £45,000 seized

Published

on

AN ABERYSTYWYTH woman has been jailed, and an organised crime gang disrupted, after heroin worth £45,000 was found at her home.

Dyfed-Powys Police found more than 400g of the class A drug during a warrant at Susan Marie Proffitt’s home – resulting in one of the force’s largest single seizures of heroin in Ceredigion.

The result has disrupted an active organised crime gang supplying class A drugs to the area.

Sergeant Steven Jones said: “This swift and thorough investigation involved officers and staff from departments across the division, who worked together to secure this result.

“The defendant had a huge amount of heroin at her home, with efforts taken to conceal bags of the drug around the property.

“There is no doubt that in taking Proffitt out of the supply chain we will have disrupted an organised crime gang which she was a trusted part of in supplying heroin into the division.”

Officers carried out a warrant at the 52-year-old’s home in South Road on August 30, 2020.

On searching the property, a box containing 408g of heroin was found concealed in a vent under the staircase, and two further wraps were found in a shower head bracket. Fingerprint marks matching those of Proffitt were found on these items.

Four mobile phones were also seized from the property.

Sgt Jones said: “The quantity of heroin recovered is far in excess of what he would expect to see someone who is simply a user to be in possession of for their own use.

“Given the value of the heroin recovered and the financial circumstances of the defendant, we were confident it was unlikely she would be able to fund a purchase of such a quantity of heroin without being involved in the supply of drugs.

“The only realistic reason for possessing this quantity of heroin was for supply onto others.”

Proffitt was charged with possession with intent to supply, and pleaded guilty. She was sentenced to 57 months in prison when she appeared at Swansea Crown Court on Thursday, November 26.

Continue Reading

News

New permanent walk-in test centre opens in Aberystwyth

Published

on

PEOPLE in Aberystwyth with symptoms of COVID-19 now have access to a permanent walk-in testing facility.

Hywel Dda University Health Board has arranged for a Local Testing Site (LTS) to be located inside the former Padarn Nursery building, (behind, but not connected to, Padarn Surgery), on Penglais Road.

Local people should avoid using the nearby nursery car park, leaving it free for those people accessing tests to park there. People who attend the walk-in centre must wear a face covering.

Meanwhile, the drive-through facility at Canolfan Rheidol has now been relocated to Cardigan in response to a rise in cases in that area. Residents of Aberystwyth will not be impacted by this move as there is plenty of testing capacity at the LTS.

Alison Shakeshaft, Director of Therapies & Health Science at Hywel Dda University Health Board, said: “We are very pleased to have secured this LTS for the people of Aberystwyth. Many residents in the town, including students, do not have their own private vehicle in order to access drive-through testing facilities, so the option of a walk-in facility is very important.

“This is a challenging time and I urge everyone to remain vigilant and follow the rules, including wearing face coverings where required, maintain social distancing, washing hands regularly, or using a hand sanitiser if hand washing is not possible.”

Anyone who has symptoms of the virus (a new persistent cough, high temperature or loss/change of taste or smell) must book a test as soon as possible.  This can be done through the online UK portal at www.gov.wales/coronavirus.

University students with COVID-19 symptoms, when booking a test, are required to provide their local address in Aberystwyth.

Please do not book a test if you do not have COVID-19 symptoms and do not attend testing centres without booking first as you will not be seen without an appointment.

Please follow the latest self-isolation guidelines which can be found here.

For the latest news and updated from Hywel Dda University Health Board visit https://hduhb.nhs.wales/

Continue Reading

News

Improvements required at a pub in Devil’s Bridge

Published

on

A HOSPITALITY business in Devil’s Bridge has been required to make improvements to safeguard the public’s health and well-being as part of the coronavirus regulations.

A Premises Improvement Notice has been served to The Hafod, Devil’s Bridge, Aberystwyth by Ceredigion County Council’s Public Protection Officers due to non-compliance with The Health Protection (Coronavirus Restrictions) (No. 4) (Wales) Regulations 2020.

As part of the Premises Improvement Notice, the Premises must ensure that a distance of 2 metres is maintained between any persons on the premises, and put measures in place which limit close face to face interaction and maintain hygiene. 

These measures will need to be implemented by 17:00 on November 27, 2020. The full notice can be seen on the Council’s website under Improvement and Closure Notices.

Information for businesses is available on the Council’s website under Supporting Ceredigion’s Economy.

Any business who is unsure of their responsibilities is urged to check the Welsh Government website

Any business that requires further information or guidance can contact the council’s Licensing Team on 01545 570881 or clic@ceredigion.gov.uk.

Continue Reading

Popular This Week