Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Two men jailed for assaulting police in Ceredigion

Published

on

THREE police officers have been assaulted in Ceredigion in the past week, with offenders spitting and coughing in their faces.

Two men involved in the incidents have been jailed for their abusive behaviour towards Dyfed-Powys Police PCs in Aberystwyth.

The first incident took place while officers were trying to help a man who needed medical attention.

Police were called to Aberaeron at 5.20pm on June 4 following a report of an unconscious man on the floor in North Road.

On officers’ arrival, four paramedics were at the scene treating Nathan Newman, who was believed to be under the influence of alcohol and illegal substances.

Throughout his treatment, the 18-year-old was abusive towards ambulance service staff and was behaving in an aggressive and threatening manner.

T/Inspector Rhys Jones said: “His condition improved and he appeared to have calmed down, so he was helped to his feet by a PC.

“Without warning he suddenly spat in the officer’s face, with saliva going in the PC’s eye.

“He was immediately arrested and a spit hood was put on him as he continued to spit while on the floor.”

Two PCs arrived to provide support, and put Newman in leg restraints as a result of his continued threatening behaviour.

Despite restraints, the offender continued to lash out and make threats towards officers.

At 5.40pm, he was arrested on suspicion of assaulting an emergency worker and was taken to hospital for medical treatment.

T/Insp said: “On the way to the hospital, he managed to take off the hood, before spitting repeatedly across the back of the police van.

“His abusive behaviour continued, and he shouted that all he could do was spit, give officers a ‘horrible disease’ and ‘hope they die’.

“This is a completely unacceptable way to behave towards officers who had been called to help when he needed medical attention.”

Newman was charged with assaulting an emergency worker and criminal damage, which he admitted at Swansea Magistrates’ Court on Friday, 06 June 2020.

He was sentenced to 32 weeks in prison.

On Wednesday, June 10, police were called to the Co-Op store in Penparcau, where a man had run off with a charity box and a purse after being found in the staff room.

Officers stopped Christopher Jones, of First Avenue, a short distance away as he matched the description given by staff.

He was found with cash and a bank card in someone else’s name, and was arrested on suspicion of burglary.

While in the back of a police car, Jones turned towards the PC sitting next to him, he had Coronavirus and coughed in his face.

The 41-year-old was charged with burglary and assaulting an emergency worker and appeared at Swansea Magistrates’ Court on Thursday, June 11, where he pleaded guilty.

He was sentenced to 28 weeks in prison.

T/Insp Jones said: “We will not tolerate assaults or abusive behaviour towards emergency service workers, who are carrying out their duty to protect the public.

“In both these instances, officers were left fearing their health might suffer as a result of an offender’s appalling behaviour. Nobody should be made to feel this way while carrying out their work.”

An officer was also spat at while booking a woman into custody on June 8.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

“Significant” heroin dealer to pay back £40,500 in criminal gains

Published

on

A MAN jailed for possessing heroin with intent to supply and money laundering has been ordered to pay back £40,500 gained through criminal activity.

Grzegorz Kramp, of Commins Coch in Ceredigion, was sentenced in February to three years and nine months in prison following a Dyfed-Powys Police investigation.

A court heard how the 45-year-old was a “significant street dealer” in the area after police stopped his car and found heroin worth £10,000 inside.

Following sentencing, the force’s Economic Crime Team began Proceeds of Crime Act (POCA) proceedings against Kramp to strip him of the funds earned through illegal activity.

Financial investigator Rob Thomas said: “Financial enquiries were carried out as part of the investigation, and it was revealed that a significant amount of money had gone through the defendant’s bank account in the period leading up to his arrest.

“This gave us grounds to pursue a Proceeds of Crime Act confiscation as it was clear Kramp had financially benefitted from his criminal activity.”

On Friday, June 18 a POCA hearing was held at Swansea Crown Court, where HHJ Huw Rees declared that Kramp had benefitted by £77,179.66.

He imposed a confiscation order requiring the defendant to pay £40,500. This will be split between £5,000 seized from Kramp, and equity from his home address, which is to be sold within three months.

Mr Thomas said: “To explain the difference in the amount gained by Kramp against the amount he has been ordered to pay back – proceeds of crime are split into two figures – the benefit figure, which is the amount gained, and the available amount, which is the amount of cash seized or assets which can be sold.

“In this instance, the benefit amount is over £77,000 that related to unexplained income in Kramp’s bank account over a number of months, but the available amount that could be recovered in cash or assets was calculated to be £40,500, which is what he will now pay back.

“This order is another success on top of the original sentence as by taking out the profits that fund crime, we can help disrupt the cycle and prevent further offences from taking place.”

Continue Reading

News

A group of Year 9 pupils at Ysgol Gyfun Penglais asked to self-isolate as COVID-19 case confirmed

Published

on

A GROUP of Year 9 pupils at Ysgol Gyfun Penglais, Aberystwyth have been asked to self-isolate for 10 days following the confirmation of a COVID-19 case at the school.

In addition, pupils travelling on the same bus as the confirmed positive case have also been contacted and asked to self-isolate for 10 days again. These pupils come from more than one Year Group from Ysgol Gyfun Penglais.

All confirmed contacts of the positive case must remain at home for 10 days to reduce the possible spread of the virus to family, friends and the wider community. The pupils will be taught remotely for this period.

The parents of all these pupils have been contacted by the School and will also be supported by Ceredigion Contact Tracing Team.

The Council urges all parents to refer their children for a test if they develop any of the following symptoms, which are:

·       a high temperature

·       a new continuous cough

·       a loss or change to sense of smell or taste

  • mild summer cold type symptoms – including sore throat, runny nose, headache
  • flu-like symptoms, including myalgia (muscle ache or pain); excessive tiredness; persistent headache; runny nose or blocked nose; persistent sneezing; sore throat and/or hoarseness, shortness of breath or wheezing
  • any new or change in symptoms following a previous negative test.

In addition, parents should book a COVID-19 test if their children feel generally feeling unwell and have a history of being in contact with a known COVID-19 case.

You can apply for a test on https://gov.wales/apply-coronavirus-covid-19-test or by phoning 119.

The number of COVID-19 cases in Ceredigion has increased significantly over recent days and we are urging people to continue to maintain 2 metre social distancing, wear a face mask indoors, wash your hands regularly for 20 seconds and keep inside spaces well ventilated. Following these rules will stop the spread of COVID-19 in Ceredigion.

No further details will be provided regarding this matter.

Continue Reading

featured

Three services in two days for New Quay RNLI

Published

on

NEW QUAY RNLI’s inshore lifeboat was called into action three times in two days last week, firstly to a surfer near New Quay while on a training exercise on Thursday evening (17 June), then to a windsurfer in Aberaeron on Friday (18 June) and, while returning to station, a passenger boat in New Quay with a fouled propeller. 

On Thursday evening Dylan Price, New Quay RNLI’s helm was taking crew on a training exercise when they were requested by HM Coastguard to assist a surfer in difficulty in Llanina, near New Quay. Dylan said, “On arrival we found them safe and well so a false alarm with good intent. We then continued with our training which included search patterns, a man overboard scenario and boat handling drills.” 

Next, on Friday afternoon, in a strong northerly wind, the inshore lifeboat was tasked on service once again. Pete Yates, New Quay RNLI’s helm said, “We were requested by HM Coastguard to launch our inshore lifeboat at 1.40pm to a windsurfer in difficulty off Aberaeron. We made best speed up the coast in difficult conditions and arrived just as the casualty made it safely ashore, to be met by the New Quay Coastguard team. 

“On returning to New Quay we assisted a passenger boat with a fouled propeller. We were able to free the rope from the propeller and then returned to station. Good outcomes all round! Remember if you see if you see anyone in difficulty or you find yourself in trouble on the coast call 999 and ask for the Coastguard.” 

Continue Reading

Popular This Week