THE ‘PARTI LLWCHWR’ ladies choir from Loughor have expressed a very big ‘diolch’ thank-you to members of the public who supported their campaign in the prestigious televised Côr Cymru (Choir of Wales) competition. The grand final of the competition took place at Aberystwyth Arts Centre.
It was screened live on S4C, the Welsh fourth channel, with a public vote for the best choir running side by side with a verdict from the competition judges. It was a very exciting time for us and a very proud moment for all the choristers,” said choir member Mari Moscrop. We are only a small choir, but we won our way through the final. We didn’t get the nod from the judges on the night, but we were delighted to be the ‘People’s Choice’ and win the telephone vote on the nigh t.
“That success is down to the huge amount of support we had from West Wales and all over the rest of Wales.”
There was a further feather in the choir’s cap as musical director Janet V Jones won the best conductor prize.
Mari Moscrop added: “We were delighted we won the public vote and would like to say ‘diolch yn fawr’ to everyone who supported us.
“We were thrilled that Janet won the best conductor prize and very proud of her achiev ement.”
The Parti Llwchwr choir was formed in 1955 by the late Meira Rees and since those days the choir has enjoyed great success.
A total of 20 choirs (in five different categories) competed in the televised finals of the Côr Cymru 2015 competition.
The competition is held every other year, and Heledd Cynwal and Morgan Jones were the S4C presenters for the final r ounds.
Since the launch of the competition in 2003, four choirs have been crowned champions and the event is now one of the highlights in the Welsh competitive singing calendar.
The choirs were divided into five categories: male voice choirs, women’s choirs, mixed choirs, youth choirs and children’s choirs.
Also, for the first time, primary school choirs competed in a special one-off programme Côr Cymru Cynradd before the grand final.
Elen Rhys, Entertainment Commissioner for S4C said: “The competition has earned its place as one of Wales’ main choral competitions and is proof of the talent, enthusiasm and energy we have in our choirs – whatever their age.”
The adjudicators had an extremely difficult task .
But Heol y March school choir from Cowbridge merited their victory with a quality performance that had the exuberance and spontaneity of youth.
They surprised the audience with the precision of their singing and their natural musicality, an incredible feat for such a young group of competitors.
Audiences in the studio and at home had been won over by Parti Llwchwr choristers and their warmth and special brand of humour, with many wanting to join them on their upcoming trip to Las Vegas!
D-Day anniversary offer for veterans
FOLLOWING the first meeting of 2019, the Ceredigion Armed Forces Community Covenant (CAFCC) wishes to endorse Royal British Legion’s generous offer of providing a fully-funded tour back to the beaches for 300 D-Day veterans.
June 6 marks the 75th anniversary of the D-Day Landings.
Following the CAFCC meeting, Councillor Paul Hinge, Ceredigion’s Armed Forces Champion said, “This most generous gesture is fantastic, everyone of those eligible to travel is a nonagenarian 90+ year old and this trip will be a fitting way to say ‘thank you’ for their contribution as the Allies won WW2.”
The Royal British Legion, in partnership with Arena Travel, have chartered a ship, the MV Boudicca, to provide a fully funded tour for 300 D-Day Veterans from 02 June until 09 June. Each veteran will be able to bring one carer who will also be fully funded.
Veterans interested in applying for the trip need to complete the eligibility form by Monday 4 February 2019. The eligibility form and more details of the event can be found online at: https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/community/d-day-75/
Sex offender caught trying to flee to Ireland
A sex offender from Bow Street near Aberystwyth who tried to move to Ireland without telling anyone has been jailed.
Dennis Bull, aged 67, was caught trying to drive a van onto the Fishguard–Rosslare ferry with his belongings in the back ready for a new life in the Republic.
Bull, of Nirmit, admitted failing to comply with the conditions of registration as a sex offender and was jailed for 16 months.
Dyfed Thomas, prosecuting, told Swansea Crown Court it was the third time he had breached the order, imposed at Caernarfon crown court in February, 2016, for possessing indecent images of children.
That conviction was on top of earlier offending in New Zealand that included indecent exposure, outraging public decency and gross indecency with a child.
Mr Thomas said Bull had been jailed for 16 months in 2016 and ordered to register with the police. The restrictions imposed included a requirement to tell the police if he intended to change address.
On November 13 last year police at Fishguard harbour became aware of a Ford Mondeo registered to Bull.
A few minutes later Bull was arrested as he attempted to drive a van onto the Stenna ferry, which was loaded with household items.
Bull told the police he had made arrangements to move to Ireland “lock, stock and barrel” because he understood the monitoring of sex offenders was less strict.
In particular, said Mr Thomas, Bull did not like prospective employers being told about his convictions.
Judge Geraint Walters told Bull, “This was a planned and determined attempt to avoid detection. It was only the eagle eyes of the authorities that brought you to book.
“Your record is troubling and you present a risk of committing more offences of a sexual nature.
“You are defiant of court orders that are there to protect others and it is truly disturbing that you are so keen to breach them.”
Bull was warned that the 2016 order remained in place for a further seven years.
Newcastle Emlyn woman to brave the shave for charity
TO MARK her 50th birthday, a Newcastle Emlyn woman will brave the shave to raise money for Diabetes UK Cymru.
On January 26, Newcastle Emlyn’s Coopers Arms will be the venue where Yvonne Lloyd’s shoulder length hair will hit the deck, as it is shaved off by hairdresser Pamela Atterbury. Mayor of Newcastle Emlyn Cefin Evans will make the first cut, in an evening that will include a buffet, raffle and live music from local band Back Tracks.
Yvonne, a waitress at Ty Croeso Delicatessen, said: “My son Tristan, now 25, developed Type 1 diabetes when he was at university. However well managed, it is a life-changing condition which you can never forget.
“He was diagnosed after an emergency admission to hospital with diabetic ketoacidosis, a potentially life-threatening condition caused by extremely high blood sugar. It can be fatal if not treated immediately. He was in hospital for four days and now relies on four insulin injections a day.
“I’m having my head shaved, not just to raise money, but also to educate people. There are a lot of myths about diabetes and how it can affect your life.”
The hair cut will start at 8.30pm on Saturday January 26 at the Coopers Arms, Station Road, Newcastle Emlyn. Entry costs £5 and doors open at 7.00 pm. All are welcome.
You can support Yvonne by signing one of the sponsor forms at the Coopers Arms and Ty Croeso, or online at: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/yvonne-lloyd2
Popular This Week
News2 days ago
Sex offender caught trying to flee to Ireland
News1 week ago
‘Frustration’ over banking van’s absence
News7 days ago
Drug dealers warned of lengthy prison sentences
Sport1 week ago
Street through in Central Wales Cup
News1 week ago
Cymru Dairy reveal batch of milk is ‘tainted’
Uncategorized2 days ago
Cold temperatures likely to lead to icy conditions
News7 days ago
Eight-year old girl inspires positive action
News2 weeks ago
Children under 10 accused of rape, figures show