Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Landlord threatened with acid attack

Published

on

Community service: Jake Stewart

Community service: Jake Stewart

A MOURNER threatened a landlord with an acid attack and arson, and assaulted him after being barred from a wake, a court has heard.

Jake Stewart, aged 26, of Pant Glas, Tregaron, pleaded guilty to assault by beating and using threatening, abusive, or insulting words or behaviour, when he appeared before Aberystwyth magistrates on Wednesday.

The court heard that Stewart had attended a friend’s funeral on April 2, but had been previously banned from the Talbot Hotel, Tregaron, where the wake was being held.

Landlord Michael Taylor arrived at the premises at around 7pm, after being called by a member of staff stating Stewart was refusing to leave and wanted to speak to him.

Ellie Morgan, prosecuting, said: “The defendant got out of his vehicle and the victim could see is was very agitated.

“He started shouting and threatened to throw acid in Mr Taylor’s face and his wife’s face, and to burn his house down.”

Another man was attempting to restrain Stewart, but he came up to Mr Taylor and slapped him across the face, then grabbed him and ripped his shirt.

Miss Morgan added: “The whole incident lasted about five minutes, and Jake Stewart was in Mr Taylor’s face for most of the time.”

A victim impact statement provided by Mr Taylor said the incident had left him ‘shaken and shocked’, and he was ‘extremely concerned’ about Stewart’s behaviour and the threats made.

In interview Stewart told police that banned people were able to attend a wake at the Talbot Hotel five weeks ago, and he thought the staff would let him in on the day in question.

He added that the landlord had said something which provoked his response, but he could not remember making any threats regarding acid or arson.

Miss Morgan added: “He said it had been a heart-breaking day for everyone concerned because of the wake.”

Janan Jones, defending, told the court her client was not drunk on the day of the incident, but feelings were running high, and he felt provoked because he was unable to go to the wake.

She said: “There had been a funeral for a very young girl who had committed suicide, who was a close friend of Jake Stewart.

“He wanted to attend the wake and wanted to speak to the landlord.”

Miss Jones added that Mr Taylor suffered very little injury, and Stewart had pushed him away because he was ‘in his face’.

Following a report from the probation service, magistrates imposed a 12 month community order with 100 hours unpaid work.

Stewart was ordered to pay £50 compensation to Mr Taylor, plus £85 court costs and a £20 victim surcharge.

The presiding magistrate said: “You let yourself down on that day.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

D-Day anniversary offer for veterans

Published

on

FOLLOWING the first meeting of 2019, the Ceredigion Armed Forces Community Covenant (CAFCC) wishes to endorse Royal British Legion’s generous offer of providing a fully-funded tour back to the beaches for 300 D-Day veterans.

June 6 marks the 75th anniversary of the D-Day Landings.

Following the CAFCC meeting, Councillor Paul Hinge, Ceredigion’s Armed Forces Champion said, “This most generous gesture is fantastic, everyone of those eligible to travel is a nonagenarian 90+ year old and this trip will be a fitting way to say ‘thank you’ for their contribution as the Allies won WW2.”

The Royal British Legion, in partnership with Arena Travel, have chartered a ship, the MV Boudicca, to provide a fully funded tour for 300 D-Day Veterans from 02 June until 09 June. Each veteran will be able to bring one carer who will also be fully funded.

Veterans interested in applying for the trip need to complete the eligibility form by Monday 4 February 2019. The eligibility form and more details of the event can be found online at: https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/community/d-day-75/

Continue Reading

News

Sex offender caught trying to flee to Ireland

Published

on

A sex offender from Bow Street near Aberystwyth who tried to move to Ireland without telling anyone has been jailed.

Dennis Bull, aged 67, was caught trying to drive a van onto the Fishguard–Rosslare ferry with his belongings in the back ready for a new life in the Republic.

Bull, of Nirmit, admitted failing to comply with the conditions of registration as a sex offender and was jailed for 16 months.

Dyfed Thomas, prosecuting, told Swansea Crown Court it was the third time he had breached the order, imposed at Caernarfon crown court in February, 2016, for possessing indecent images of children.

That conviction was on top of earlier offending in New Zealand that included indecent exposure, outraging public decency and gross indecency with a child.

Mr Thomas said Bull had been jailed for 16 months in 2016 and ordered to register with the police. The restrictions imposed included a requirement to tell the police if he intended to change address.

On November 13 last year police at Fishguard harbour became aware of a Ford Mondeo registered to Bull.

A few minutes later Bull was arrested as he attempted to drive a van onto the Stenna ferry, which was loaded with household items.

Bull told the police he had made arrangements to move to Ireland “lock, stock and barrel” because he understood the monitoring of sex offenders was less strict.

In particular, said Mr Thomas, Bull did not like prospective employers being told about his convictions.

Judge Geraint Walters told Bull, “This was a planned and determined attempt to avoid detection. It was only the eagle eyes of the authorities that brought you to book.

“Your record is troubling and you present a risk of committing more offences of a sexual nature.

 “You are defiant of court orders that are there to protect others and it is truly disturbing that you are so keen to breach them.”

Bull was warned that the 2016 order remained in place for a further seven years.

Continue Reading

News

Newcastle Emlyn woman to brave the shave for charity

Published

on

TO MARK her 50th birthday, a Newcastle Emlyn woman will brave the shave to raise money for Diabetes UK Cymru.

On January 26, Newcastle Emlyn’s Coopers Arms will be the venue where Yvonne Lloyd’s shoulder length hair will hit the deck, as it is shaved off by hairdresser Pamela Atterbury. Mayor of Newcastle Emlyn Cefin Evans will make the first cut, in an evening that will include a buffet, raffle and live music from local band Back Tracks.

Yvonne, a waitress at Ty Croeso Delicatessen, said: “My son Tristan, now 25, developed Type 1 diabetes when he was at university. However well managed, it is a life-changing condition which you can never forget.

“He was diagnosed after an emergency admission to hospital with diabetic ketoacidosis, a potentially life-threatening condition caused by extremely high blood sugar. It can be fatal if not treated immediately. He was in hospital for four days and now relies on four insulin injections a day.

“I’m having my head shaved, not just to raise money, but also to educate people. There are a lot of myths about diabetes and how it can affect your life.”

The hair cut will start at 8.30pm on Saturday January 26 at the Coopers Arms, Station Road, Newcastle Emlyn. Entry costs £5 and doors open at 7.00 pm. All are welcome.

You can support Yvonne by signing one of the sponsor forms at the Coopers Arms and Ty Croeso, or online at: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/yvonne-lloyd2

Continue Reading

Popular This Week