Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Police swoop on beach party mayhem

Published

on

beach-partyDYFED-POWYS POLICE have been called out to a number of beach locations to prevent teenage party revellers getting out of hand.

 The problems started over the May half term on Broad Haven beach, Haverfordwest, and have continued up to last weekend officers from South Ceredigion Neighbourhood Policing Team were called to a beach gathering at Newport Sands. During these patrols alcohol was seized from a number of underage youngsters, and one driver was issued with a Section 59 warning after driving his vehicle in an antisocial manner on the beach. Over the half term Festivals Week, police were called on a number of occasions to Broad Haven beach where a series of teenage parties were in full swing. They confiscated large quantitates of alcohol and dealt with complaints that the youngsters were drinking, smoking and littering the beach. Villagers also complained of intimidating behaviour and foul language. A festival banner worth over £200 was also set on fire during one beach rave. On a more serious note, broken glass was strewn across the sand, causing an extremely dangerous hazard. Police were forced to issue four section 27 notices to move them on, and a 17 year old was found to be in possession of cannabis. As a result 27 local teenagers will be receiving antisocial referral letters. PCSO Ben Cole told The Herald: “Our message is simple – we’re not here to spoil anybody’s fun but sometimes evening gatherings on beaches can lead to antisocial behaviour. Where that happens we will use our powers to deal with it. It is an offence for anyone under 18 to be in possession of alcohol and it will be seized by officers. Similarly drivers who use their vehicles in an antisocial manner and cause danger or alarm to others risk having their vehicles seized.” Angry resident, Robin Mogg, Chairman of Havens Business Group and Havens Festival, told The Herald: “On the evenings of May 26 and 27 a large number of young people congregated on Broad Haven beach. Some were dropped off by adults along with various quantities of alcohol. Far too many of these children were under the legal age for consuming alcohol. A mindless element in the crowd decided the colourful flags would look better in flames and the sandy beach would be greatly enhanced by the addition of broken glass. Many thanks to our Council beach cleaner.” Local resident Gavin Young said: “No one minds people having beach parties, as long as people clean up after them and are respectful to other residents. The parents don’t seem to care that they are dropping their kids off to a party where they are drinking.” Police will be patrolling local beaches over the summer on the lookout for anyone behaving in an antisocial manner, but will also need the help of the public. If you are a victim or a witness, you should contact Dyfed Powys Police on 101. In an emergency call 999.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Royals set to visit Ceredigion during summer visit

Published

on

AS PART of their annual summer visit to Wales, The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will be visiting Ceredigion next month.

From July 2-6, Charles and Camilla will tour the country, undertaking over 20 engagements across the country.

On July 3, The Prince of Wales will visit Dà Mhìle Distillery, Llandysul, the first organic distillery in the UK approved by the Soil Association, where he was previously gifted the thousandth bottle to be produced by Dà Mhìle.

The Prince of Wales will also visit St. Gwenog’s Church, Llanwenog, and view their unique carvings created by Joseph Reubens, a Belgian World War One refugee. His Royal Highness will also meet members of their local community.

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall’s fourteenth annual Summer visit to Wales will feature celebrations to mark the 70th Anniversary of The National Health Service and the marking the 150th anniversary of the Heart of Wales railway line amongst other events.

A Clarence House spokesperson said: “The Prince and The Duchess are really looking forward to their annual summer visit to Wales where they will be celebrating key anniversaries for the National Health Service, the Heart of Wales railway line and the 90th anniversary of Gwent Association of Voluntary Organisation. Their Royal Highnesses relish the opportunity to meet members of the community who are making a difference to Welsh life.”

Continue Reading

News

Social media used to groom children young as six

Published

on

CHILDREN as young as six in Wales have been targeted across an array of online platforms in the first year following the introduction of anti-grooming laws.

A law of Sexual Communication with a Child came into effect in England and Wales on April 3, 2017, after an NSPCC campaign, and in the first year a total of 3,171 crimes were recorded by police forces – amounting to nine grooming offences per day.

A total of 274 offences were recorded across the four Welsh police forces in the same period.

More than half of the offences in Wales were logged by South Wales Police (158) with 53 in North Wales and 44 in the Gwent force area.

Dyfed-Powys Police supplied data for the period between October 2017 and April 2018 when 19 offences were recorded.

In Wales, grooming offences were recorded on 23 different platforms, with Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat comprising the top three most-commonly used with more than 120 taking place using those platforms alone.

Ninety-one crimes were reported in Wales against boys and girls aged between 12 and 15, while 56 offences were recorded against children aged 11 and under. The youngest victim recorded was just six years old.

Following the NSPCC’s #WildWestWeb campaign, the UK Government’s digital secretary Matt Hancock announced that laws will be brought in to regulate social networks, to keep children safe and prevent harms such as grooming.

The charity is now campaigning to ensure those laws are sufficiently robust to prevent grooming and to truly keep children safe.

It is calling on Government Create mandatory safety rules that social networks are legally required to follow; Establish an independent regulator to enforce safety laws and fine non-compliant sites; Require social media sites to publish annual safety reports; Force platforms to develop technology to detect grooming using algorithms.

It comes ahead of the charity’s annual flagship conference How Safe Are Our Children? which begins on Wednesday June 20 in London and has the theme Growing Up Online.

Contact offences such as rape and sexual assault were among those recorded in connection with grooming offences.

Mared Parry, from North Wales, was sent sexual messages from men 10 years older than her on Facebook when she was aged just 14.

Mared, who has waived her right to anonymity, was groomed to send semi-naked pictures to them.

She said: “At the beginning it was messages like ‘Hey, how are you?’ But as the weeks went on, they started sending messages that were more and more sexual. It was so subtle; that’s why it is so easy for an online chat to slip into being so wrong.

“If I didn’t reply or speak the way they wanted me to, then they would say: ‘You’re just too immature for me’. They were so manipulative, but you don’t even notice it.

“Looking back at it now, it’s scary to think that I sent semi-naked pictures to older guys. It could have gone a lot further.”

Peter Wanless, NSPCC chief executive, said: “These numbers are far higher than we had predicted, and every single sexual message from an adult to a child can have a huge impact for years to come.

“Social networks have been self-regulated for a decade and it’s absolutely clear that children have been harmed as a result.

“I urge digital secretary Matt Hancock to follow through on his promise and introduce safety rules backed up in law and enforced by an independent regulator with fining powers.

“Social networks must be forced to design extra protections for children into their platforms, including algorithms to detect grooming to prevent abuse from escalating.”

In Wales, NSPCC Cymru has called for the Welsh Government to co-ordinate and progress efforts to keep children as safe in their online worlds as they are offline.

Last year, Welsh Government announced plans to produce a children and young persons’ online safety action plan.

The NSPCC hopes it will deliver practical help and support for schools, parents and others in Wales involved in child protection online when it is published.

How Safe Are Our Children? takes place at the Queen Elizabeth II Centre, in Westminster, London on June 20-21.

Continue Reading

News

Grant money available to improve play areas in Ceredigion

Published

on

CEREDIGION COUNTY COUNCIL has been awarded £100,800 from the Welsh Government’s Rural Communities Development Fund to finance capital works in four play areas across Ceredigion.

On June 19, the Council’s Cabinet authorised the project’s commencement.

The four play areas are Ponterwyd Play Area, Llanon Tennis Courts, Llanddewi Brefi Play Area and Cardigan Skate Park. The money will improve playing and leisure opportunities in these areas.

The full cost of the work is estimated to be £126,000, with the grant contributing 80% of the cost and the town and community councils will provide the remaining 20%.

The Cabinet member responsible for Learning Services and Lifelong Learning, Councillor Catrin Miles, said, “Quality and safe playing opportunities are important to the county’s children as well as for their parents. I’m delighted that the Cabinet could authorise such a project and I’m sure the play areas will be well used after being improved.”

The project may start from July 18, 2018 and must end by April 30, 2019.

Continue Reading

Popular This Week