Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

A “spiteful” burglar who targeted the home of a bride knowing she would be at her wedding has been jailed.

Published

on

86576Ceri Davies, 26, broke into Annwen Bell’s home as she was marrying her long term partner Jonathan.
Davies “trashed” the house after learning that his mother, Jill, had not been invited to the wedding.
Annwen Bell’s father had left home two years earlier and formed a relationship with Davies’ mother.
As Annwen and Jonathan planned their wedding it was decided not to invite Jill Davies “to keep the peace”.
They invited her father but Annwen refused to allow him to give her away.
Janet Gedrych, prosecuting, told Swansea crown court how Davies broke into the couple’s home at Maes Gwyn, Llanfair Clydogau, west Wales, on the afternoon of May 25 knowing that the couple were due to be married at 3pm and to then enjoy a reception in the seaside village of Aberaeron 20 miles away.
“It was motivated by malice,” she added. “It was targeted to that house due to the relationships between the parties
“Annwen had taken her mother’s side and there was ill feeling between the two sides.”
Davies caused Ł5,500 worth of damage, slashing furniture with a knife, leaving on water taps in a bathroom and the kitchen to cause flooding and using a hammer to leave imprints on computers, televisions and kitchen work surfaces.
He also stole Ł295 in cash, a 20 euro note and even the cards of congratulations for the marriage.
But, said Miss Gedrych, two men carrying out an archaeology study nearby heard the sound of breaking glass and challenged Davies.
They saw him leaving the property with a carrier bag and followed him.
They called the police who continued the chase until Davies threw away the bag and ran across a field.
But he was caught by police and arrested.
Miss Gedrych said police had to approach the couple at their reception that evening and explain that their home had been burgled and trashed.
In a victim impact statement, Jonathan Bell said, “Annwen invited her father to the wedding but she was not willing for him to give her away.
“It was such a special day and we cannot remember that day as we should.
“Gifts from her grandparents were broken. It does not feel like a home anymore.”
Jill Davies was also arrested after police became aware that her car had been in the area at the time. But she said she had given her son a lift so he could go for a walk and had no idea a burglary would be carried out. She was not charged with any offence.
Davies, of Room 2, 4 Albert Place, Aberystwyth, admitted burglary and causing criminal damage. He was jailed for three years and four months.
Davies’ barrister, Victoria Thomas, said Davies was addicted to cannabis at the time.
“That does not take away the pain that was caused to the couple. It was their wedding day.
“His mother accepts that what he did was terrible. She is ashamed at what he has done.
“He ruined their wedding day,” added Miss Thomas.
She said he turned on water taps in the hope of washing away any DNA evidence.
Judge Paul Thomas told Davies, “Any house burglary is taken very seriously by the courts. It usually causes psychological and emotional harm.
“In any way this was a particularly spiteful burglary. It was a revenge attack.”
Davies, he added, had set out to cause as much harm as he could to a woman on the most important day of her life.
“It was a simple dispute. Because of the wedding your mother had not been invited. It happens at weddings week in, week out.
“But you decided not only to burgle their home but to wreck it. You vindictively trashed their home.
“You made as sure as you could that they would come back and they would face a scene of heartbreaking devastation.”
Judge Thomas said Davies had a record for arson and criminal damage and “seemed to get a kick” out of destroying other people’s property and the pain it caused them.

Continue Reading

News

Over 25 million views for takeaway’s viral video

Published

on

A TAKEAWAY in Tregaron has struck viral gold – again.

Their latest video, featuring a ‘monster kebab’ has had at least 25 million views.

The company’s Facebook page now has over 50,000 likes.

The video was shared on popular video channel LADbible and has over 11.5 million views.

Another page, UniLad, shared the video and has over 9 million views.

The UniLad page said: “With the help of 6 friends, you have 8 minutes to demolish this MONSTER kebab! Who’s on your team?”

In September last year, a ‘hangover cure’ video went viral for the business, racking up millions of views.

At the time, Lisa McEwen, a staff member at the popular takeaway, told The Herald: “One of our customers tagged us in something similar online and our Manager Pasha Pasaoglu – being the business entrepreneur that he is – decided we can make this better! And that’s where the Giant Mix-meat Challenge was born​.

“With Tregaron having such a small population we could never have expected to get this much publicity but it’s gone viral and we are so proud and grateful to all of our customers, regular and new​.”

Continue Reading

News

Three arrested as man is hospitalised with ‘life threatening injuries’

Published

on

THREE men have been arrested after a man was hospitalised in the early hours of this morning (Jan 14) with what police are calling ‘life threatening injuries’.

The incident took place in High Street, Aberystwyth, at approximately 2:20am.

Three men, ages 20, 23 and 25 have been arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm with intent.

They are in police custody.

Police are now appealing for witnesses to contact them as a matter of urgency.

A police spokesperson said: “Dyfed-Powys Police is investigating a serious assault at High Street, Aberystwyth, which happened at around 2.20am today (Sunday, 14 Jan). As a result of the attack a man is in hospital with life threatening injuries.

“Three men, aged 25, 23 and 20, have been arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm with intent and remain in police custody at this time.

“Police are appealing for witnesses who were at, or near, High Street between 12.45am and 2.30am. Anyone with information, or footage of the attack, is urged to report it to Aberystwyth police by calling 101, quoting incident 402. If you are Deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired text the non-emergency number on 07811 311 908.”

Continue Reading

News

Morgan, 7, loses long battle with cancer

Published

on

THE FAMILY of a brave seven-year-old boy have said he has sadly lost his fight with cancer.

Morgan Hayes, from Whitland, was diagnosed with neuroblastoma in February 2015 when he was just 4-years-old.

After being given the all-clear following numerous treatments, unfortunately the cancer returned.

He was then the focus of a campaign, Morgan’s Fight, to raise funds for him to get treatment in the United States of America.

However, despite the funds raised, Morgan was too unwell for the treatment in New York.

He instead underwent radiotherapy at home.

A statement posted on the Morgan’s Appeal Facebook page read: “It is with a very heavy heart I write this on behalf of Ben, Sophie and their families.

“Morgan passed away peacefully in his sleep this morning, in the arms of his Mum, Dad and family.

“We thank you all for your on going support and kind words.

“Please respect the family’s need to grieve together during this very difficult time.”

Continue Reading

Popular This Week