Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Community

Big screen returns to the Coliseum

Published

on

Ceredigion Museum to install new cinema screen: The Coliseum Theatre is to return after a 40 year absence

Ceredigion Museum to install new cinema screen: The Coliseum Theatre is to return after a 40 year absence

CELEBRATING their success at managing to secure a £13,917 community grant, the Friends of Ceredigion Museum now intend to add a full-sized cinema screen and projector in The Coliseum.

Nearly 40 years after it closed its doors as a cinema, the Coliseum, now home to Ceredigion Museum, is set to become a cinema once again.

The magnificent Coliseum initially opened as a variety theatre in 1905, becoming a cinema in the early 1930s where it was run by Olive and Harry Gale until it was abandoned in 1977.

However, in 1982, it reopened as the Ceredigion Museum, and it currently undergoing a £1.3m Heritage Lottery Funded redevelopment called ‘New Approaches’.

The Community Grant Scheme is awarded by Ceredigion County Council and is aimed at increasing the range of facilities, activities and opportunities within the county.

The grants are available to community groups, community councils, voluntary sports and play associations.

Lionel Madden, Chair of the Friends of Ceredigion Museum, said: “The Friends are delighted to be contributing to the future sustainability of the museum by raising funds to re-equip the auditorium with state-of-the-art technology, facilities for people with hearing impairments and new seating and tables.

“Many of the friends have fond memories of the Coliseum as a cinema and it will be wonderful to experience the magic of the movies in such a beautiful setting once again.”

Re-equipping the historic Grade II listed Coliseum theatre with comfortable seating, modern audio-visual equipment and a hearing loop for hearing aid users will enable them to host bigger and better community and public events in the auditorium in the future.

Carrie Canham, Museum Curator, said: “We’ve been showing films for some time, and they’re always very popular, particularly the silent films, but we have always had to borrow equipment and the screen we were using isn’t very big.

“Now we can do the films we show the justice they deserve and audiences will have a much better experience. “I can’t thank the Friends enough for their hard work in securing the funding, which all adds to the match funding we need for our Heritage Lottery funded project.”

The re-equipping of the Coliseum forms part of the £1.3m ‘New Approaches’ project to secure the future of the museum by creating opportunities to generate income and attracting more visitors.

To mark the occasion, the museum will be showing a silent Charlie Chaplin film called ‘Shoulders Arms’ with a live piano accompaniment by Dr Stephen Briggs, a talented musician and long-time supporter of the museum.

The film is set during World War One and is part of the programme of activities to complement the current exhibition of propaganda posters from that time.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Community

Domestic abuse victims in Wales to be given more time to report assaults

Published

on

DOMESTIC abuse victims in Wales and England to be given more time to report assaults.

New measures targeted directly at keeping women and girls safer will be added to the Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill last week (Jan 4) the UK Government has announced.

Under the changes, victims of domestic abuse will be allowed more time to report incidents of common assault or battery against them. Currently, prosecutions must commence within six months of the offence.

Instead, this requirement will be moved to six months from the date the incident is formally reported to the police – with an overall time limit of two years from the offence to bring a prosecution.Domestic abuse is often reported late relative to other crimes; so this will ensure victims have enough time to seek justice and that perpetrators answer for their actions.

The UK Government says that today’s announcement builds on measures already in the Bill to better protect women such as ending the halfway release of offenders sentenced between four and seven years in prison for serious sexual offences – forcing them to spend two-thirds of their time in prison.

In December, the legislation was amended to make clear that a new legal duty requiring public bodies to work together to tackle serious violence can also include domestic abuse and sexual offences.

It means that these crimes should be taken as seriously as knife crime and homicide, with police, government, and health bodies required to collaborate locally, so that they can develop more holistic strategies to protect people from harm, including through early intervention.

Home Secretary, Priti Patel, said: “My commitment to making our homes, streets and communities safer for women and girls is clear.”

“Every department in government is working to address and tackle all issues relating to violence against women and girls.”

“The Government has a focussed strategy, dedicated to providing essential support for survivors, the prevention of crimes against women and girls and bringing perpetrators to justice with the full force of the law.”

“Our actions include the new Domestic Abuse Act, with important changes to our laws; a newly created national police lead responsible solely on violence against women and girls, and millions of pounds have been invested in direct safety measures through the Safer Streets Fund.”

“These are all important public confidence measures and changes to ensure the safety of women and girls in public spaces.”

The UK Government has also said that taking non-consensual photographs or video recordings of breastfeeding mothers will be made a specific offence punishable by up to two years in prison.

It covers situations where the motive is to obtain sexual gratification, or to cause humiliation, distress or alarm.

Similar legislation introduced by the UK Government in 2019 that criminalised “up skirting” has led to more than 30 prosecutions since it became law.

Continue Reading

Community

Vandalised church passes fundraising target

Published

on

The inside of the Church was also subjected to vandalism

A FUNDRAISER to rebuild a vandalised church met its goal of £20k within three days. 

Eglwys y Grog, which is situated near the cliffs at Mwnt. It is a well known landmark, and is a favourite among photographers.

Clive Davies, a local County Councillor, claims he is “totally blown away” with the donations. 

He said the church was targeted on 2 December, and again on 20 December, in “a pointless saddening act.”

“There was nothing of value in the church and it was a senseless act. There was no money there, just a small little church,” he added.

“The church members were getting a lot of requests to donate money and they contacted me to do something coordinated online so I set up a JustGiving page for them.

“It’s been a global response really, three thousand pounds came in overnight. There were messages of support from America, and there was a couple from Australia as well,

“There are a lot of good people out there and it is an amazing start to 2022 for us.”

When the campaign was launched on January 1st, a £20,000 goal was set.

The leaded windows of the church were smashed in with rocks

The inside of the church, as well as the leaded church windows and gated entrance, were all damaged.

Mr Davies, who is also a local councillor, claims to have long-standing family ties to the church, which includes plaques honouring his great-grandparents on either side of the altar.

“The local community has been amazing, supporting it and the power of social media made in tenfold,” he said.

“It was like a snowball effect really, local businesses have offered not only financial support but will be part of the restoration work needed now.”

“I’ll be meeting with the church members and the vicar and we’ll start discussing what needs doing, but also we’re going to have to look at safety for the future and what could we do in terms of security,” he added.

He stated that it was critical for the church to remain open while staying safe.

Continue Reading

Community

£250 boost to all Ceredigion food banks

Published

on

PLAID CYMRU Councillors from Ceredigion will donate £250 to each food bank in the county to alleviate pressures over the Christmas period.

The issue of food banks continues on a daily basis in most towns in Wales due to lack of funds and benefits being cut. 

Individuals and families are forced to use food banks to make sure they have food for their children and families.

A spokesperson for the Councillors said: “Ceredigion County Council’s Plaid Cymru Group of Councilors is delighted to announce their decision again this year to donate £250.00 each to every food bank in Ceredigion.

“Food banks in Aberystwyth, Cardigan, Aberaeron, Llandysul, Lampeter will benefit from this over Christmas.

“Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.”

Continue Reading

Popular This Week