Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Driver who killed Unison area organiser jailed

Published

on

swansea-crown-courtA MOTORIST who caused the death of Unison area organiser Roger Bevan by his dangerous driving has been jailed for two years this afternoon.

Jack Leon Isaac Weston, aged 22, overtook two vehicles in one manoeuvre before losing control and colliding head on with Mr Bevan’s Volkswagen Golf.

Both were trapped inside their vehicles. Mr Bevan was declared dead at the scene from multiple injuries while Weston was taken to Aberystwyth’s Bronglais hospital where he spent a week being treated for serious leg fractures.

Weston, of Tir Bach, Cilcennin, near Lampeter, admitted causing death by dangerous driving. He was also banned from driving for two years and ordered to pass an extended driving test before getting his licence back.

Ian Wright, prosecuting, told a packed Swansea Crown Court how Weston knew the B4337 Cilcennin to Cross Inn road well.

But at 5.45pm on July 14 last year he became impatient with two slow moving cars in front of him.

Mr Wright said Weston would have been aware that he was approaching a sharp right hand bend but decided to overtake both vehicles at once in his powerful R type Honda Civic.

That forced Benjamin Tiltman, who was approaching him in his Mercedes van, to brake sharply.

Mr Tiltman later told police Weston’s driving had been “alien” to the narrow country road and he thought he might have been doing 70mph as he struggled to pull the car back into the nearside lane.

He said he had never seen driving like it in 20 years and thought the overtaking had been an act of stupidity.

In fact, said Mr Wright, Weston was in the process of losing control and swerved into the oncoming lane.

Mr Bevan found himself hedged in by high banks either side and could not avoid the collision. His Golf was pushed backwards into a hedge.

Mr Tiltman said he felt angry when he heard Weston tell police officers at the scene that the crash had not been his fault.

Dyfed Thomas, representing Weston, said he had taken a decision that he would have to live with for the rest of his life.

Judge Philip Harris-Jenkins said Weston had ignored “slow” signs and broken white lines indicating the approach of a hazard, the sharp right hand bend.

“This collision was caused by you and you alone,” he said. “”This was immature, impatient driving. No doubt it will play on your mind for the rest of your life.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Education

Free School Meals for Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 from September 2022

Published

on

CEREDIGION COUNTY COUNCIL will be offering Free School Meals from the Autumn term onwards to all Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 children.

This comes following Welsh Government’s announcement to offer Free School Meals for primary school pupils across Wales, starting with Reception classes from September 2022.

In response to the current rising cost-of-living, this is a positive step forward in ensuring that no child goes hungry while in school and tackling poverty in our County.

From Monday 5 September 2022 onwards, all Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 Children in Ceredigion schools will be offered Free School Meals, extending the offer beyond what needs to be done by September.

Ceredigion County Council and Welsh Government are committed to implementing this scheme quickly and would ask for your patience as we build catering capacity to ensure a successful phased implementation and work towards a whole school roll-out over the next three years.

The Council are working with Welsh Government to develop a process for you to be able to request a free meal for your child/children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 from September 2022, trying to avoid any unnecessary burden for you.

If your child is currently in receipt of free school meals and/or any other associated benefits, these will not be affected.

Wyn Thomas, Cabinet Member responsible for Schools, Lifelong Learning and Skills, said: “The Government’s aim is for Welsh Local Authorities to provide a free school meal for Reception pupils in September 2022. The Council has taken advantage of the flexibility of the scheme and so more pupils in Ceredigion will benefit from the offer of a free meal for Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 pupils in September 2022 in the County’s schools.”

Further information will follow by the end of term.

Continue Reading

News

Residential care home project approved to increase dementia support

Published

on

A DEVELOPMENT project has been approved by Welsh Government that will increase support provided for individuals living with additional needs due to living with dementia at Hafan Deg Residential Care Home, Lampeter.

This project will include renovating four bedrooms, improved personal wellbeing and social area and a securely enclosed outdoor sensory garden.

Councillor Alun Williams, Cabinet Member for Through Age and Wellbeing Services said: “The number of those living with dementia in Ceredigion is rising and we want to make sure that we increase our current provision. This new development at Hafan Deg will enhance the mental and physical wellbeing of both residents and staff and support a reduction in behaviours that challenge. The development will also help to reduce the numbers of residents needing to be moved due to their higher needs.”

Funding has been secured through the Welsh Government Integrated Care Fund Capital programme.

Through the tendering process, J&E Woodworks Ltd were awarded the tender and work is due to commence August 2022.

Continue Reading

News

New Quay RNLI crew member passes out as coxswain

Published

on

ON MONDAY (Jun 13), after many months of training and assessments, New Quay RNLI volunteer crew member Peter Yates passed out as a coxswain and is now qualified to take command of the Mersey class all-weather lifeboat based at New Quay Lifeboat Station in Ceredigion.

Father of two Pete, 33, underwent a year of intensive training, including courses at the RNLI College in Poole and assessments afloat and ashore at the station. On Monday he was put through his paces by RNLI Assessor Hugh Davies in his final assessment and passed with flying colours.

With 16 years of experience, Pete has given up much of his spare time to volunteer at New Quay Lifeboat Station and save lives at sea. In his many roles at the lifeboat station he is also an all-weather lifeboat mechanic, an inshore lifeboat helm and the station’s training assessor. Pete said, “It’s been a tough year but worth all the hard work. It was definitely a stressful final assessment as they throw every scenario at you from fire to emergency steering!

“I want to thank my partner Karis and the kids for their support at home, and of course I want to thank New Quay RNLI crew members for all their support, I couldn’t have done it without them.

“I am now looking forward to the challenge of being an all-weather lifeboat coxswain and welcoming the new Shannon class lifeboat in a couple of years.”

Roger Couch, New Quay RNLI Lifeboat Operations Manager said, “We all would like to congratulate Pete on his great achievement. He puts so much time into being a volunteer RNLI crew member, and now all his hard work has paid off. He thoroughly deserves being a coxswain. Well done Pete from all of us!”

Bernie Davies, New Quay RNLI mechanic added, “Only in the RNLI can you pass an assessment by driving a boat up the beach under emergency steering! Excellent work Pete.”

Continue Reading

Popular This Week