FOLLOWING delays to the electrification of the Great Western Railway as far as Swansea, which was originally meant to have been completed in 2018, Jonathan Edwards has called for the Westminster Government to give a firm commitment and timescale for completing this work.
Mr Edwards’ call came after Transport Secretary Chris Grayling avoided giving a commitment at the Conservative party conference this weekend. Mr Grayling spoke about wanting new trains on the line but said it would be ‘jumping the gun’ to discuss electrification to Swansea.
The target date for electrification reaching Cardiff was originally 2017, and 2018 for Swansea.
A Network Rail report in November last year said the upgrade between Cardiff and Swansea would fall into its next five year plan, covering 2020 to 2024.
This week, the Transport Secretary said: “We are a way away from completing the link to Cardiff, which has got to be the first priority.” He added that new trains on the route will be ‘better capacity, more comfortable, modern trains before we get onto the next phase of the projects’.
Plaid Cymru’s Jonathan Edwards said new trains would not compensate for the ‘glacial pace of work and the continuous changing of deadlines’. He called on the Transport Secretary to give a firm and final commitment to when West Wales residents can expect full electrification.
Carmarthen East and Dinefwr MP Jonathan Edwards said: “Another year goes by and it seems another commitment on delivering full electrification to Swansea has gone out the window. It’s time the Tories stopped moving the goalposts and put all possible resources into actually honouring its pledge.
“The timetable for electrification to Swansea has already been delayed by a potential six years. To have the Transport Secretary avoiding commitments on the later deadline is an insult.
“It’s all well and good talking about new trains, but that won’t compensate for the glacial pace of work and the continuous changing of deadlines.
“Delivering full electrification of the Great Western Mainline was one of the very few manifesto promise the Tories gave to the people of West Wales. They should now give a firm and final commitment to when we can expect full electrification.”
Ben Lake MP “disappointed” after Agriculture Bill amendment on the standard of food and agricultural imports is rejected by House of Commons
The UK’s new Agriculture Bill was put before MPs on Wednesday (13 May) for the final time as it reached the Report Stage and Third Reading.
Alongside farming unions and campaign groups, Ben Lake MP has lobbied for the Bill to include a number of important amendments. One of the amendments sought to introduce a legal requirement that agricultural or food products imported into the UK under future trade agreements would need to be produced or processed according to equivalent animal health, welfare and environmental standards as those required of UK prodcuers.
This amendment, in the form of New Clause 2, and which was tabled by the Chair of the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee Neil Parish MP, was rejected by the Commons. All Plaid Cymru MPs supported the amendment and Ben Lake MP said he was “disappointed” that the house did not vote in favour of an amendment to prevent the importation of products produced to lower animal health and environmental standards, and which in turn would have supported the high standards of Welsh produce.
Ben Lake MP said:
“Without this amendment there remains no legal requirement for future UK trade agreements to ensure that any agricultural or food imports are produced to the same standards as those required of domestic producers.
“Farmers in Wales strive to produce quality food in a sustainable manner, but the failure to include this amendment to the Agriculture Bill risks undermining these efforts by keeping the door open to imports produced to lower environmental and animal welfare standards.
“I have always argued that in order to protect our own high standards it is crucial that a level playing-field is maintained in relation to imports, and that farmers in Wales are not put at a disadvantage by having to compete with imports that are produced to lower standards. I sincerely hope that this amendment will be adopted by the House of Lords, so that the House of Commons has another opportunity to support it.”
£1 billion deal for ‘Shared Rural Network’ to improve mobile coverage goes ahead
Ceredigion MP, Ben Lake says he is delighted that a scheme to extend mobile coverage in hard-to-reach rural areas making poor mobile phone coverage a thing of the past has been given the green light, thanks to a major new deal between the Government and UK mobile network operators.
The ‘Shared Rural Network’ will mean that high quality 4G coverage will be available for 95 percent of the UK by 2026 which means consumers will get good 4G signal wherever they live, work or travel. The new plans involves four operators (EE, O2, Three and Vodafone) joining forces to create a new organisation to deliver the ‘Shared Rural Network’. Each will be able to make the maximum use out of existing and new phone masts by being able to host their own equipment on them allowing their customers to access a mobile signal. The scheme will cost more than £1billion made up of £530m from the mobile operators and a £500m investment from the Government.
Ben Lake MP, who was one of 78 cross-party MPs who wrote to the Secretary of State for Digital Culture, Media and Sport last year to ask for government support for the scheme, said:
“This is really good news for my constituents. Better mobile connectivity will make flexible working, access to education and leisure opportunities easier. It will boost regional economic growth and begin to close the digital divide that exists across the country. The mobile has become an essential tool for most of us. It will certainly come as a relief to many people living in my constituency who are frustrated by the persistent ‘not spots’ which prevent them from carrying out many tasks which other people take for granted”.
The ’Shared Rural Network’ will eliminate the substantial majority of the country’s partial not-spots with the added benefit of increasing competition for mobile services, especially in rural areas; deliver on the Government’s 95% coverage manifesto commitment to extend coverage across the country; improve road coverage by reaching a further 16,000 kilometres of roads; involve minimum environmental impact and reduce the need for duplicate infrastructure and ensure that the UK has one of, if not the best, mobile coverage in Europe.
The initiative, which is a world first, follows government proposals for an overhaul of planning rules and is part of the Prime Minister’s plan to level up the country with world-class digital infrastructure across the UK to make sure homes and businesses are better connected.
Elin Jones welcomes speed reduction, but says it should be even lower
Following a meeting and correspondence with the Welsh Government, Elin Jones AM has welcomed the confirmation of an initial reduction in the speed on the A487 between Bow Street and Aberystwyth.
This stretch of the A487 is particularly dangerous, and there were two fatal accidents there last year.
Ken Skates, the Welsh Government Minister for Economy and Transport, confirmed to Elin Jones via letter that the route between Waun Fawr to 300m beyond Dorglwyd Junction will be reduced to 50mph, with work taking place in the next financial year.
The reduction to 50mph has been initially welcomed by Elin Jones, however she has called for the speed limit to be reduced further to 40mph.
Elin Jones said:
“The need for a review of the safety on the A487 is clear, particularly following the two tragic accidents that took place last year. I was pleased to be able to discuss the issue directly with the Welsh Government Minister in Bow Street recently, and for him to see for himself why a speed reduction was needed.
“I’m also pleased that this has resulted in the safety and speed limit review concluding that a reduction was necessary.
“However, I and many constituents who regularly use this route feel that the speed limit could be reduced further to 40mph, which I will raise again with the Minister.
“I will also continue to call for upgrading safety at the Dorglwyd junction. There are also many areas on the A487 where safety can be improved, either with a speed limit reduction, or by providing cycle lanes and footpaths to remove pedestrians and cyclists from danger. I have called on the Welsh Government to consider all options.”
Popular This Week
News3 days ago
‘Check in, Catch up and Prepare’ All school’s in Wales prepare to enter next phase
News1 week ago
Man arrested for illegal fishing in Teifi valley
News4 days ago
Four further coronavirus cases confirmed in Hywel Dda area
News4 days ago
Carers Week goes interactive
News1 day ago
Police urge visitors to ‘check the rules’