PEOPLE in Dyfed-Powys are being urged to start making every day safer as the latest online crime figures from Get Safe Online and the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau (NFIB) reveal that a staggering £4 million was lost by the area as a result of fraud, including cybercrime in 2015/16.
Nationally, this figure rose to a staggering £10.9 billion over the same period which equates to approximately £210 per person over the age of 16 living in the UK, but represents only reported fraud and cybercrime to Action Fraud.
However, a specially commissioned survey to mark Get Safe Online Day (Oct 18) reveals that the UK figure is likely to be much greater, with respondents who had been a victim of online crime alone losing an average of £523 each – this being more than the average weekly earnings figure for the UK which currently stands at £505.
In addition, 39% of people who said they’d been victims of online crime said they hadn’t reported the incident – this meaning that the overall amount of money lost by the UK could in fact be even more.
In Wales, 30% said that they had a limited understanding of the risks they face when going online, but 91% said they were somewhat or very concerned about their online safety and security. 88% also said they felt online crime was as damaging or more damaging than physical crime.
The victims of cyber criminals
The research found a worrying gap in people’s understanding of what constitutes an online crime – 89% of people from Wales said they had not been targeted by cyber criminals in the past 12 months. But, 61% had in fact been targeted in a variety of ways:
- 51% received fraudulent emails or messages which have attempted to direct them to websites where their personal information could have been stolen, including bank details, user names and passwords
- 25% reported being contacted by someone who was trying to trick them into giving away personal information
- 11% had their email or social media accounts hacked
- 2% had been victims of ransomware, a fast-growing online crime
Of those who said they had been a victim of cybercrime, 67% said they felt that the matter was too trivial to report. Worryingly, 57% also said that they felt there was nothing that could be done.
Poor online safety habits
But, many people in Wales are still not taking the basic steps to keep themselves safe online with as many as 39% saying that they use the same password for multiple online accounts. In fact, even when a company warns people to change their password after a breach – 28% have been contacted to do so – 14% said they did not follow the advice. The survey found that people use an average 10 passwords across devices and accounts.
The research also showed that respondents in the area only update their security software every 7 months and 25% do not update their device operating systems at all. When it comes to taking care of personal information, 22% said they never update their privacy settings on social media, with 66% saying they did not know how to. Additionally, 26% don’t back up their documents and photographs at all.
Tony Neate, Chief Executive of Get Safe Online, said: “The fact that the UK is losing nearly £11 billion to cyber criminals is frightening and highlights the need for each and every one of us to make sure we are taking our online safety seriously. It is clear from our survey that people are very concerned, and rightly so.
“The fact that over a third of people felt there was nothing that could have been done to stop them becoming a victim is alarming indeed – particularly when it’s so easy to protect yourself online. Also, as our research shows, people are losing large sums of money on average – £523 being the equivalent of a holiday abroad or the price of a new piece of technology in the home. As a result, it seems there is still a big education job to do.
“Let’s not let cyber criminals get away with it anymore by ensuring that each and every one of us is updating the operating systems of our various devices and ensuring security software is always updated. What’s more we all need to ensure that we have a different password for each online account we own and website we visit. Online safety needs to be part of our everyday routines.”
Pam Kelly, Assistant Chief Constable, Dyfed-Powys Police, said: “Cybercrime are our hidden streets and we need to keep people safe within the online community. I urge the public to take online security seriously and to think carefully about the Get Safe Online Day messages, paying particular attention to the passwords you use online. Using strong passwords is an essential part of crime prevention and disruption and I urge the public to think seriously about the importance of this message.
“The easiest way to create a strong, memorable password is to use three random words.”
Making online safety part your everyday routine
This year’s Get Safe Online Day is encouraging everyone to start making every day safer by following a few simple steps:
- Review the passwords you use on your online accounts: Make sure they’re strong enough and that you’re not using the same ones for more than one account. Consider how you’re going to remember them all – such as using an online password safe.
- Check your social media privacy settings. Make sure your information and updates are seen only by those you trust.
- Update your operating system and software programs/apps on your computer, mobile phone and tablet if you’ve been prompted to do so. It takes only a few minutes and with your mobile devices, you can even do it while you’re asleep.
- Back up your information – using the cloud is a great way to save all your documents, photos, music, emails and other irreplaceable files.
- Check that your internet security software and apps are up to date and switched on.
- If you have children, think about whether you’re doing enough to help ensure they’re staying safe online.
- If you’ve lost money report it to Action Fraud, the UK’s national fraud reporting centre by calling 0300 123 20 40 or by visiting actionfraud.police.uk If you are a victim of online abuse or harassment, you should report it to your local police force.
- Take a few minutes to read the expert, easy-to-follow, free advice on all of these and considerably more subjects at www.getsafeonline.org
Retail premises now required to take extra measures to minimise the spread of coronavirus
New requirements have now come into force that require retail premises to take additional steps to protect workers and customers from coronavirus.
The additional measures were already guidance, but are now legal requirements. This includes businesses selling food or drink for consumption off the premises. These legal requirements include the need to:
- Ensure systems are in place for controlling entry to the premises and to limit the number of customers in store at any one time;
- Provide hand sanitisation products or hand washing facilities for the use of customers when they enter and exit the premises;
- Introduce measures to sanitise any baskets, trolleys or similar containers provided for use by customers on the premises;
- Remind customers to maintain a distance of 2 metres between each other and to wear a face covering by:
o Displaying signs and other visual aids throughout the premises;
o Making announcements on a regular basis;
- Undertake and record a specific assessment of the risk of exposure to coronavirus at the premises and in doing so consult persons working on the premises or representatives of those persons (where a business employs five or more people);
All premises are still required to take all other reasonable measures to minimise the risk of exposure to coronavirus, such as:
- Changing the layout of premises including the location of furniture and workstations;
- Controlling use of entrances, passageways, stairs and lifts;
- Controlling use of shared facilities such as toilets and kitchens;
- Otherwise controlling the use of, or access to, any other part of the premises;
- Installing barriers or screens;
- Providing or requiring use of personal protective equipment
The Regulations and guidance may be found at Coronavirus legislation and guidance on the law on the Welsh Government website: https://gov.wales/coronavirus-legislation-and-guidance-law and also guidance to take all reasonable measures to minimise the risk of exposure to coronavirus in workplaces and premises open to the public: https://gov.wales/taking-all-reasonable-measures-minimise-risk-exposure-coronavirus-workplaces-and-premises-open
Useful posters and guides are available from Business Wales website: https://businesswales.gov.wales/coronavirus-advice/tool-kit. A COVID-19 risk assessment template is available from Health and Safety Executive – What to include in your COVID-19 risk assessment: https://www.hse.gov.uk/coronavirus/assets/docs/risk-assessment.pdf
Ceredigion County Council remembers the Holocaust on International Holocaust Day
THIS year Ceredigion County Council, along with many other Local Authorities across the United Kingdom, will illuminate two of Aberystwyth town’s most iconic buildings in a show of solidarity, respect, and honour to all victims of genocide. From Friday 22 through to Thursday 28 January, the Bandstand on Aberystwyth’s seafront and the Alun R Edwards Centre will be lit up purple.
Holocaust Memorial Day is an international event which takes place annually on January 27, the purpose of the day is to encourage remembrance of all victims of genocide world-wide, including honouring the six million Jews murdered during the Holocaust, the millions of people killed under Nazi Persecution and in the genocides that have happened since in Cambodia, Rwanda, Bosnia and Darfur.
The theme for Holocaust Memorial Day 2021 is Be the light in the darkness. It encourages everyone to reflect on the depth’s humanity can sink to, but also the ways individuals and communities resisted that darkness to ‘be the light’ before, during and after genocide.
Holocaust Memorial Day is for everyone. Each year across the UK, people come together to learn more about the past and take action to create a safer future. Although this year we are unable to hold any actual events in person due to the ongoing pandemic, this does not mean that we cannot mark this extremely important day.
Ceredigion County Council Leader, Councillor Ellen Ap Gwynn, said: “On Holocaust Memorial Day let us all take the opportunity to reflect on the atrocities committed in the past and to shine a light to lead us to a more humane way of treating our fellow citizens of the world, whatever their colour or creed, in future.
“It is vital to remember and raise awareness that the Holocaust threatened the fabric of civilisation, and genocide must still be resisted every day.
“Our world often feels fragile and vulnerable and we cannot be complacent. Even in the UK, prejudice and the language of hatred exist and must be challenged by us all.
“Together we bear witness for those who endured genocide and honour the survivors & all those whose lives were changed beyond recognition.”
Paul Davies MS quits as Leader of the Conservatives in the Senedd
PRESELI Pembrokeshire MS Paul Davies quit as Leader of the Conservatives in the Senedd this morning.
The Conservatives’ Chief Whip also quit his frontbench role.
The dramatic move comes only 24 hours after Mr Davies got the Conservative Senedd Group’s unanimous backing.
However, later yesterday (Friday, Jan 21) – as criticism poured in – the Welsh Conservatives’ Executive met. In that meeting, Constituency Chairs reported widespread disbelief and anger among the Party’s members. Conservative Party Chair, Lord Davies of Gower, received particular criticism for a lack of leadership. Simon Hart, Secretary of State for Wales, also attended the meeting and was left in no doubt of the strength of feeling within the Party.
In a statement issued via the Conservative Senedd media office, Mr Davies said: “I am truly sorry for my actions on the 8th and 9th December. They have damaged the trust and respect that I have built up over 14 years in the Welsh Parliament with my colleagues and the wider Conservative Party but more importantly with the people of Wales.
“Whilst using the Senedd facilities at all times my colleagues and I maintained social distancing. There was no drunk or disorderly behaviour. We did not have to be escorted out of the building as some reports have suggested. What we did was to have some alcohol with a meal we heated up in a microwave, which was a couple of glasses of wine on Tuesday and a beer on Wednesday.
I broke no actual Covid-19 regulations.
“For the last 10 months of the pandemic, I have followed the Covid-19 regulations to the letter. As with everyone across Wales, I have not seen family members or friends, I’ve not eaten at my favourite restaurants and, like you, we enjoyed a subdued Christmas compared to other years. I will continue to follow the Welsh Government’s Covid-19 Regulations and I would urge everyone to play their part in defeating this virus so that we can all return to normality.
“My priority as Leader of the Welsh Conservative Group in the Welsh Parliament has always been to bring the Conservatives into government in Wales. Our main focus as the Welsh Conservatives must always be on challenging and removing a failing Labour government.
“I am grateful for the support of colleagues in the Welsh Conservative Party for their support in this difficult time, and especially to my wife Julie and my Senedd colleagues who have offered empathy, trust and advice. They have treated me with the same courtesy and decency I hope I have always extended to others.
“Over the last couple of days, I have been speaking with colleagues in the Senedd and the wider Conservative Party. Whilst they have confirmed they do not wish to see me step down, I believe that my actions are becoming a distraction from holding this failing Welsh Labour-led Government to account, not just on their rollout of the Covid-19 vaccines but from more than 20 years of their dither, delay and failure. Yesterday I indicated to the Conservative group in the Welsh Parliament that I wished to resign, but they urged me to reflect further, and we agreed to meet again on Monday. However, for the sake of my party, my health and my own conscience, I simply cannot continue in post.
“Therefore, I am stepping down as Leader of the Welsh Conservatives in the Welsh Parliament with immediate effect.”
“It is for the group to decide how best to choose a new leader, but I hope that process will be seamless and speedy, and I pledge my support to whoever becomes leader.”
Darren Millar blamed ‘wildly inaccurate and unfair reports’ and said:
“There was a member of catering staff present in the tea room for a short time after my arrival on the 8th December but she did not serve me a drink, nor did I request one. In fact, I encouraged the member of staff to go home and close up the counter as it had been a long day for her. No members of catering staff were present on the 9th December and the counter was closed for the whole evening.
“While I am advised that I did not breach coronavirus regulations I am very sorry for my actions, especially given the impact of the tough restrictions that people and businesses are enduring.
“For this reason, and given that Paul Davies has resigned as Welsh Conservative Group Leader in the Senedd, I have decided to step down from my front bench role in the Welsh Parliament.
“I am cooperating fully with ongoing investigations and will continue to do so.”
Whoever replaces Paul Davies, the role is likely to an interim appointment ahead of a vote of the Party membership after the Senedd election.
Popular This Week
News4 days ago
Aberporth mum praised by police following sea rescue
News2 weeks ago
Ben Lake MP stands up for Ceredigion’s hospitality sector in Parliament
News3 days ago
Paul Davies MS quits as Leader of the Conservatives in the Senedd
News6 days ago
Ceredigion Museum to Display Rare Roman Cut Glass
Farming2 weeks ago
Local farmer sentenced for animal welfare offences
News5 days ago
Conservatives’ lockdown lock-in investigated
News1 week ago
Warning to drug users in Ceredigion over ‘Street Valium’
News7 days ago
Conservatives in disarray over alleged Christmas party lockdown breach