A DRIVER returning home from a holiday in Fishguard caused a fatal crash near Aberystwyth when he tried to reach 100 mph to create film footage for Snapchat.
Ricafort Gamboa raced along country roads while friends inside his car filmed him on their mobile telephones.
As he approached 100mph, his Citroen C3 left the road and smashed into a cottage, demolishing a 16 inch thick stone wall.
His friend, 18-year-old Ernest Pideli, was killed, and two other passengers were injured.
Gamboa, aged 25, admitted causing death and serious injury by dangerous driving and was jailed for four years.
Paul Hobson, prosecuting, told Swansea Crown Court the group had been returning to Manchester after a holiday at a caravan site in Fishguard.
Gamboa’s friends could be heard on mobile ‘phones recovered from the crashed car encouraging him to drive faster and he began taking corners on the wrong side of the road.
Gamboa was recorded saying: “I am going fast. I will go faster.”
But as he raced downhill into a series of corners he said ‘oh s**t’ as the car fishtailed, mounted a bank and then swerved across the road and into a cottage by the side of the A487 at Chancery a few miles south of Aberystwyth.
Mr Pideli died four days later from head and neck injuries.
Gamboa, a Philippinno with British status, told a police officer at the scene he had been doing ‘more than 90’ and explained later that his friends had wanted him to reach 100 mph so they could take photographs for Snapchat.
He said in a police interview: “I take full responsibility for what happened. My stupid decision to drive so fast was the cause of the collision.
“I deserve to be punished. I am deeply sorry for what happened.”.
The court heard that Mr Pideli had been a talented footballer and had an ambition of returning to his native Philippines and playing for the national team.
Gamboa’s barrister, Charles Row, said he was so remorseful that he was genuine when he said he wished he had died and not his friend.
Mr Row said at one point police had considered charging his friends for their encouragement of him to drive faster just so they could film him and the speedometer.
Judge Keith Thomas told Gamboa, who wept as he was being sentenced, that he had used the road as a racetrack.
“You drove at breakneck speed saying you were trying to reach one hundred miles an hour.
“And you ignored signs telling you to slow down and that there were bends ahead.
“Your friend was only eighteen and had his whole life in front of him. You have caused incalculable loss to his family,” he added.
Gamboa, a Domino pizza restaurant shift manager, of Johnson Fold Avenue, Bolton, was banned from driving for five years after his eventual release from prison.
No action at Cardiff Airport over virus
THERE were no checks or screening at Cardiff airport this morning (Jan 23) as international concern continues to grow about the coronavirus which has killed 17 people and infected hundreds in a central Chinese city.
A Herald journalist landing at 5:30am on a flight from Doha, said that passengers arriving from China or other Southeast Asian were not questioned or screened, despite other airports including Heathrow taking action.
The twice daily Doha flight, which was launched with the help of the Welsh Government two years ago, connects travellers from many destinations from South East Asia, including from China. A connection between Beijing and Cardiff is offered with a 10 hour stop over at Hamad International Airport in Qatar.
The outbreak of the virus is centred on the city of Wuhan. Travellers from Wuhan change at Beijing. At this time of year there is an increased number of travellers between China and the UK due to the Chinese New Year celebrations’
The Guardian reported today (Jan 23) that a sense of panic has spread in the central Chinese city of Wuhan as the city of 11 million was put on lockdown in an attempt to quarantine a deadly virus believed to have originated there.
Today, Chinese authorities banned all transport links from the sprawling city, suspending buses, the subway system, ferries and shutting the airport and train stations to outgoing passengers.
Nearby Huanggang also suspended its public bus and railway system by the end of the day.
In Wuhan, it has been reported that supermarket shelves were empty and local markets sold out of produce as residents hoarded supplies and isolated themselves at home. Petrol stations were overwhelmed as drivers stocked up on fuel, exacerbated by rumours that reserves had run out. Local residents said pharmacies had sold out of face masks.
The incubation period for the virus is said to be five days according to experts.
The Welsh Government has been asked for a comment.
Spencer Birns, Chief Commercial Officer at Cardiff Airport, told The Pembrokeshire Herald: “Cardiff Airport is closely following guidance provided by the relevant authorities in relation to screening procedures for Coronavirus. Port Health advice as of 1200 on 23rd January 2020 is to operate business as usual, with no additional screening. We will continue to monitor the situation closely and will update our customers as required.
“The safety and security of our team and customers is our number one priority.”
A spokesperson told The Herald that Chinese nationals arriving in Cardiff on international flights are not being asked if they originated in Wuhan despite the crisis.
“We have not been told to do different to normal,” the spokesperson said.
Pictured above: Regular flights: Qatar Airways plane at Cardiff Airport this morning • Peter Sinclair from Milford Haven lives in China and taking precautions
Elin Jones congratulates Ceredigion Talking Paper in National Assembly
AM marks 50 years of service by local news service for the blind
Elin Jones AM has congratulated the Ceredigion Talking Newspaper in a statement in the National Assembly for Wales, marking 50 years of service to blind people in Ceredigion and beyond.
In her statement on Wednesday the 20th of January, Elin Jones said:
“Fifty years ago, in January 1970, an innovative charity was established in Ceredigion for blind people, offering the first service of its kind in Wales and the United Kingdom – a service that would enable the blind people of Ceredigion to hear the latest local news in the press.
“That innovative scheme was the Ceredigion Talking Newspaper.
“The talking newspaper was set up by Ronald Sturt, a lecturer at the College of Librarianship in Llanbadarn. Initially, the recordings of local voices reading articles from the local press were on tape cassettes and provided to 18 people.
“Nowadays, the recordings are on a USB, and there are over a hundred regular listeners of the talking newspaper and more than 60 volunteers contributing regularly. The recordings are published weekly and the coverage includes the Cambrian News, Golwg and Y Cymro.
“One reader, Eileen Sinnett, has volunteered continuously for fifty years. What a contribution she has made!
“I would like to congratulate the Ceredigion Talking Newspaper for breaking new ground in 1970, for 50 years of service and for bringing the news, in both Welsh and English, to those who cannot see or read it in Ceredigion and beyond.”
Young People raise money for local charities
On 10 December 2019, young people from Ysgol Henry Richard’s Cooking Club hosted a Christmas Fayre stall, selling cakes and donated bakes from the local community to raise money for young people receiving care at Angharad Ward, Bronglais Hospital and West Wales Domestic Abuse Service. The club was led by Ceredigion Youth Service and raised over £400 for the charities.
The young people learnt how to make and produce different products, sell and raise money for charity. This gave the young people the opportunity to feel a sense of achievement by giving to others.
Ruby Cook from Ysgol Henry Richard’s Cooking Club said, “Our Cooking Club is made up of young people from Ysgol Henry Richard who attend the after school cooking club. The club focuses on cooking and leaning new life skills. It also gives young people an opportunity to socialise with their friends. We had a great time working on this project, where we baked cakes and had fun in the Christmas Fayre selling them. We would like to thank the local businesses which also donated to our stall. With your support we were able to raise more funds and give more young people gifts this Christmas.”
Mrs Ffion Davies, Ysgol Henry Richard said, “It was a lovely evening seeing the Cooking Club members have fun while making and selling cakes for worthy causes. The enthusiasm the young people showed when giving up their own time to help others at what can be a vulnerable time of year for some was inspiring. Thank you and well done to Ceredigion Youth Service and the Cooking Club members.”
Councillor Catrin Miles is the Cabinet member responsible for Learning Services. She said, “I want to congratulate the Cooking Club for their hard work and great achievement. I’m delighted that they not only raised a good sum for charity, but had fun and learnt at the same time. I’m grateful to the Ceredigion Youth Service for their continued good work and support of young people in the county.”
Ceredigion Youth Service is the designated Service for young people aged 11-25 in Ceredigion, dedicated to supporting young people’s personal, social and educational development through specialised support and open access provision. Provision includes School Based Youth Work, Outreach Youth Work and Youth Clubs. For more information or to find out what opportunities are available to you, head over to their Facebook, Instagram and Twitter pages at @GICeredigionYS.
Popular This Week
News6 days ago
Police investigate after child dies in west Wales caravan fire
News6 days ago
Police issue warning to community over ‘fake beggars’
Community1 week ago
NHS volunteers needed
News2 days ago
No action at Cardiff Airport over virus
News2 weeks ago
Success for Dyfed-Powys Police in targeting drugs suppliers in Ceredigion
Farming1 week ago
McDonald’s backs Countryside Fund
Community2 weeks ago
RNLI in Wales urges people to stay safe as Storm Brendan hits
Sport2 weeks ago
Aber pushed hard by Yr Hendy