THE WELSH GOVERNMENT has been questioned about its investment in sports car manufacturer TVR.
On Tuesday (Jan 16), the Government announced that it had acquired a 3% stake in TVR; it has also provided a £2m loan to the company, which says there is another 12 months of research and development to go before it begins constructing cars in Ebbw Vale.
The planned TVR site was acquired by the Welsh Government last year and includes the 200,000 sq ft former Techboard building.
The terms of TVR’s lease have not been revealed by the Welsh Government. The TVR deal is part of a Welsh Government plan to build up automotive and manufacturing industry in Ebbw Vale and the surrounding areas following the Welsh Government’s withdrawal from involvement in the Circuit of Wales plan.
TVR claims that moving the car maker there will create up to 150 jobs.
However, official accounts lodged with Companies House indicate a headcount of just six jobs at TVR Manufacturing Ltd, despite that jobs pledge. The headcount at its ‘parent company’, TVR Automotive Ltd was recorded as ‘0’.
Official company accounts also reveal the extent of Welsh Government financial support for TVR: Shareholding of 100,000 shares in TVR Automotive Limited (a company listed as ‘dormant’ on Companies House) £2,000,000 in the form of a ‘long term loan’ which is repayable on demand until TVR secures £5.5m in further equity funding – though the company’s accounts suggest that the Welsh Government ‘has indicated that they have no intention of demanding repayment’.
Shadow Economy Secretary – Russell George – is calling for assurances from the Welsh Government that taxpayer money is being properly safeguarded.
He said: “We need to see tangible evidence that this investment represents value for money.
“The prestige of the TVR badge is one thing – and there is understandable excitement around their decision to locate in Wales.
“However, we need to see the jobs that were promised, and as major shareholders in the company the Welsh public will want to see genuine progress.
“Ultimately, commercial common sense dictates that there must be an economic benefit to this spending.
“Millions of pounds have been invested in TVR, and the Welsh Government must ensure that this exciting project doesn’t turn into another disappointment for the people of Blaenau Gwent.”
The Welsh Government has been repeatedly criticised by the Wales Audit Office and Assembly scrutiny committees for its participation in a series of commercial investments.
A scathing report delivered in 2016 revealed that the Welsh Government had ignored the views of its own senior civil servants in saying it was pressing on with the Circuit of Wales development in the run up to the last Assembly election and blew £9.3m of public money on the scheme, including funding the acquisition of a motorcycle company in Oxfordshire.
The Welsh Government accepted ten out of eleven recommendations made by the Assembly’s Public Accounts Committee following the collapse of steel coating firm Kancoat in Swansea.
Kancoat had received £3.4m of public funds in the teeth of advice to then Economy Secretary Edwina Hart that the investment was high risk and Kancoat’s business plan was ‘weak’. Moreover, there was no record of a key meeting in which funding to Kancoat was discussed.
A 2015 report revealed that 54 companies that had received Welsh Government support had either ceased trading or become insolvent, owing the taxpayer over £11m; in 2016 Main Port Engineering in Pembroke Dock, which had received £650K from the Welsh Government the previous year went bust owing £1.1m; £1m was given to Kukd, in Cwmbran, which then outsourced jobs supposed to be in Wales.
An investment in Pinewood studios resulted in the creation of only 50 of a promised 2,000 jobs.
Price pledges independence referendum
A PLAID CYMRU Government – able to command the support of a majority of Senedd members – will offer a referendum on independence for Wales in its first term, party leader Adam Price said.
The Plaid Cymru Leader made the announcement in a keynote address on Welsh independence from the St David’s Hotel in Cardiff.
Plaid Cymru Leader Adam Price claimed that devolution is “under attack” from the Conservative Westminster Government and that with Scotland likely to become independent by 2025 and Brexit making a united Ireland possible, the “momentum of change” has accelerated the need to hold a referendum on Welsh independence by 2026.
Mr Price, the only prospective pro-independence candidate to become First Minister will be responding to the report published by the arms-length Independence Commission in September. It had suggested holding two independence referenda within a decade – the first one exploratory to gauge people’s views in order to persuade the UK Government to hold a binary referendum.
Noting that support for independence was at its “highest” in history, the Plaid Cymru Leader will also confirm that a Plaid Cymru Government would offer one binary choice referendum on Welsh independence and will encourage all those who want independence for Wales to vote for Plaid Cymru in May.
Plaid Cymru Leader Adam Price said: “Devolution itself – that most basic democratic principle that decisions affecting Wales should be made in Wales – is under attack from Boris Johnson’s Conservatives.
Meanwhile, the demand for another independence referendum in Scotland is becoming unstoppable and by 2025 Scotland could well be an independent country. And Brexit has also given further impetus to the calls for a united Ireland.
“Wales is in real danger of being be left behind as part of a rump United Kingdom, in a new England-and-Wales formation – which would be the ultimate worst of all worlds.
“It is for these reasons that I, therefore, pledge today that subject to party approval a Plaid Cymru Government, able to command a majority in the Senedd, will offer a referendum on independence for Wales in its first term.
“It’s implicit in the present Covid crisis – the sense that something new and better must come out of this. Next May, electors won’t just want to carry on with the Old Wales. They will be looking for a new direction, one that offers hope, vision, and ambition. It is our job in Plaid Cymru to provide that hope, that vision, that ambition for real, radical change.
“Independence is the most radical idea in Welsh politics today. The last two polls on independence put it on its highest support in history. An argument once derided as a pipe dream has moved from the margins to the mainstream.
“But whilst banners and marches fuel our fire, the Welsh spring will only truly bloom at the ballot box in May. If you want independence, you have to vote for it by voting Plaid Cymru.
Senedd consults on new code of conduct
THE SENEDD’s Standards Committee is asking for views on a proposed new Code of Conduct for Members of the Senedd.
If the new Code is agreed, the Senedd’s Members would be subject to the standards of behaviour set out in the Code- including a new principle of ‘Respect’ – after the election in May 2021.
The code outlines how Members should engage with each other as well with staff, stakeholders and the public. The proposed Code also makes it clear that those standards of behaviour should apply to Members at all times, including in their personal and private lives.
If anyone believes that a Member has not met the standards of behaviour set out in the Code, they can make a complaint to the independent Commissioner for Standards. In its consultation, the Committee asks whether the current complaints procedure works or whether it should be changed in any way.
The current Code was agreed in May 2016, and the Senedd reviews it regularly. Updating the Code now has allowed the Committee to reflect on the varied issues over the current Senedd term and any changes in society and public life during that time. The Standards of Conduct Committee believes that the addition of a ‘Respect’ principle would now be appropriate, reflecting:
The independent inquiry report on the Bullying and Harassment of the House of Commons staff which led to the adoption of the Senedd’s Dignity and Respect Policy
Wider movements in society such as #MeToo and Black Lives Matter.
The Code of Conduct helps to set the standard and tone of political debate. The Llywydd of the Senedd, Elin Jones MS, has previously said how she believes that targeted online abuse and the tone of political debate are barriers for people entering politics.
The proposed new Code does not refer specifically to the use of social media but says that Members “must not subject anyone to personal attack in any communication (whether verbal, in writing or any form of electronic or other media) – in a manner that would be considered excessive or abusive by a reasonable and impartial person, having regard to the context in which the remarks were made”
By including a new principle of ‘Respect’, it is hoped the new code can address some of these concerns by setting a respectful standard of debate and encouraging people of all backgrounds to get involved in politics.
CONSULTING WITH THE PUBLIC
The Committee wants to hear people’s views on its proposals and on what kind of behaviour they expect from their represented Members. It will then present the new Code to the Senedd who will decide, as a whole, whether or not to agree to it.
The review aims at completion by the end of the current Senedd, in preparation for the next Senedd.
Jayne Bryant MS is the Chair of the Senedd’s Standards Committee.
She said: “The Code of Conduct sets the standard and tone of political debate, and now more than ever it is important to get this right.
“With a serious problem of online abuse and powerful campaigns such as the #MeToo movement and Black Lives Matter, we’ve got to do all we can to improve the tone of debate and set a standard that encourages trust in elected representatives and inspires people from all backgrounds to stand for election.
“We’re keen to hear the view of people from across Wales on the refreshed Code of Conduct for Members of the Senedd.”