THIS summer it is easier than ever to have a great family day out along the Wales Coast Path with the introduction of a new free augmented reality (AR) app.
The app has been launched to encourage local families from across Ceredigion to get outdoors during the summer holidays and to ensure the region’s fantastic views, glorious wildlife diversity, fascinating history and wondrous legends are brought to life using augmented reality, games and other fun features.
Locations and discoveries:
In specific locations across New Quay the new AR app will allow walkers to use their mobile devices to enjoy exciting new experiences such as walking in the footsteps of Wales’ most iconic writer Dylan Thomas whilst enjoying the landscapes that inspired his acclaimed work Under Milk Wood. Discover the local legend of the Mermaid of Carreg Ina, who became entangled in the nets of New Quay’s fishermen.
Walkers will be able to use the new app to delve into the area’s hidden history filled with smugglers, a rich maritime heritage and plenty of local legends including the tale of an Irish King and his seven daughters.
To help families enjoy the app and discover the AR locations, a series of new family-friendly walks have also been created and are accessible for free via the Wales Coast Path website. Enjoy views across Cardigan Bay walking along New Quay harbour to the specially created experience panel and use mobile devices to scan the panel to discover more about New Quay’s secret past.
Easy to download & use:
Simply download the app before you arrive and use your mobile phone to scan one of the specially created experience panels to unlock a range of interactive features and bespoke augmented reality animations. You can even share your experiences with your friends using the photo filter feature or by capturing images of you, your friends and family interacting with the fun augmented reality scenes.
First Minister Mark Drakeford said: “The Wales Coast Path is enjoyed by people from across Wales and further afield. The path is unique – no other country can boast a coastal path that stretches around its whole coastline. The 870-mile long path has much hidden history and fascinating wildlife. The new app will add to the pleasure of visiting our beautiful Welsh coast.”
Where to find it:
The app is available for free via the Apple App Store (iOS devices) and Google Play (Android devices), searchable using ‘Wales Coast Path’. Download the app before arrival or whilst walking the path, to unlock content at chosen locations. The app uses GPS track location in real life and trigger bespoke augmented reality animations at different points along the Wales Coast Path.
Find out more: www.walescoastpath.gov.uk/plan-your-visit/days-out/family-walks-with-a-difference
Download for free the app for free via the Apple App Store (iOS devices) or Google Play (Android devices), by searching ‘Wales Coast Path’.
Future of The Pembrokeshire Herald newspaper secured
THE COMPANY, which runs the Pembrokeshire Herald newspaper in west Wales, says it has secured an eleventh-hour investment to prevent the company from going into administration.
On Friday, The Herald’s management announced that a decision had been made to cease trading after a key investor pulled the plug – but now a deal has been struck with a new investor, which will secure the future of The Pembrokeshire Herald weekly print title, as well as three other news websites.
At least ten of the 24 staff working at The Herald have been told that they will keep their jobs following confirmation of the investment.
Herald News UK Limited has entered into a six-figure cash-for-shares agreement with Spanish advertising firm Rigographic Espana.
Its CEO, Ricardo Rigobon, who has 20 years experience in publishing and advertising, said that The Herald deserved to be saved.
He said: “As a campaigning newspaper, The Pembrokeshire Herald has served its customers well over the last six and a half years. Its circulation is strong, and the website is extremely popular. I believe with the new reduced costs business model we can secure the future of the newspaper.
“The Llanelli Herald and The Carmarthenshire Herald will continue online.”
Managing Director of Herald News UK Limited, John Hammond said that he was delighted that the future of the firm, and almost half the workforce was now secure.
He explained: “We have worked tirelessly over the weekend to get the necessary financing in place since our original investor pulled out. As a result of those efforts, we have now got a new partnership with a long-established firm in our industry.”
Editor of The Pembrokeshire Herald, Thomas Sinclair said: “I am excited that we have been given a new opportunity. It’s not a time for celebration as we still have colleagues who have lost their jobs. However, for the remaining team we now have a get on with the job of reporting the news and getting the papers out each Friday.”
Herald publisher ceases operations
HERALD NEWS UK LTD, the company which prints The Pembrokeshire Herald, The Carmarthenshire Herald and The Llanelli Herald has ceased operations.
Editor of Pembrokeshire Herald, Thomas Sinclair said: “After finalising today’s paper to go to print yesterday, a meeting was held last night. It was confirmed that the expected further investor funding would not be made available for the company.
“This meant that operations need be halted as the businesses was not able to pay its ongoing costs.
“At 10am today the 24 members of staff working at the newspaper have today been given notice of redundancy.
“We are absolutely devastated that after nearly 7 years and hundreds of editions of the paper we can no longer continued.”
“I would like to think that over those years, some of the stories we have written have made a difference to Pembrokeshire and beyond.”
Director of Herald News UK Limited, John Hammond said: “The company accountant could be appointing administrators as soon as next week.”
“The Owners of The Pembrokeshire Herald came to the conclusion last night during a finance meeting that the venture is no longer financially viable.
“Whilst every conceivable effort has been made to improve the financial situation of the business, we have to face the fact that there is no way that we can now continue in a solvent position.
“Whilst there has been a slow decline in readership of local newspapers, our costs for wages, printing and transport have substantially increased.”
“We would like to thank all of our loyal readers and staff.”
<img class=”wp-image-51343 size-large” src=”http://pembrokeshire-herald.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/herald2-1024×678.jpg” alt=”” width=”740″ height=”490″ /> Community: Herald titles were campaigning newspapers<img class=”wp-image-51344 size-large” src=”http://pembrokeshire-herald.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/herald3-1024×565.jpg” alt=”” width=”740″ height=”408″ /> Popular: 45,000 people read Herald titles each week in west Wales
Theatr Felinfach Performing School presents CAMAU
OVER the past few months enthusiastic members of Theatr Felinfach Performing School have been developing new skills through a series of masterclasses with Theatr Genedlaethol Cymru.
The members have been busy creating material through scripting, directing, choreography, clog dancing, folk dancing and much more. All their hard work will be shown in their ‘CAMAU’ (steps) performance on Monday 28 October, 7:00pm at Theatr Felinfach. This is your chance to see the fruits of their labour!
The Performing School was established in January 2017 and has now grown into a very popular group. It’s a great opportunity for 7-18 years olds to gain new experiences in theatre skills through the medium of Welsh and to make new friends who share the same passion for performing.
This year two trips were organized for members of the Performing School. In June, the group visited the ‘Lexicon’ show by the UK’s leading large-scale circus company ‘NoFitState’ in Bluestone, Narberth. The audience was amazed at the performers’ talents and agility and seeing the children’s faces was invaluable.
Later in July, the group visited ‘Chores’ at Aberystwyth Arts Centre, a production organised by Cluster Arts, an Australian company. The story was about two young boys playing in their mess of a room where they began using their acrobatic skills to sort out the carnage. The show was inspired by ‘slapstick’ legends Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin.
Theatr Felinfach hopes to continue taking members to see various shows and productions to give them the opportunity to experience professional theatre.
The Performing School meet each Thursday evening – the primary members (7-11 years) from 4:30pm to 5:30pm and the older members (12-18 years) from 5:30pm to 7:00pm.
Membership fees are every half term and range between £30 and £35 depending on the age of the members.
If you would like more information about the Performing School and how to become a member in the new year, please contact email@example.com or call 01570 470697.
Tickets for ‘CAMAU’ are £6 for adults, £5 for OAPs and theatre members and £4 for students and Children. They’re available from the Box Office on 01570 470697 or online at theatrfelinfach.cymru.
Popular This Week
News2 weeks ago
Trains could be opening from Carmarthen to Aberystwyth
News5 days ago
Herald publisher ceases operations
News2 weeks ago
Ceredigion gritters prepare for Winter with a visit from ‘Goldie’
News7 days ago
Wales Audit Office report shows council finances are well managed
News1 week ago
Community walk to mark Footpath Improvement project in Ceredigion
News1 week ago
Ceredigion wins UK-wide Local Authority 2019 award for refugee work
News1 week ago
Are you someone who could provide a loving and safe home for children currently in care?
News1 week ago
Ceredigion County Council Celebrating Shwmae, Su’mae 2019