Your views are sought on a food and beverage trial that was held during the summer on Aberystwyth Promenade.
A survey is now open by Ceredigion County Council on the Food and Beverage trial which was held on the Aberystwyth Promenade during the summer of 2019.
Feedback is welcome from all Promenade users both local and visitors, as well as from Traders who took part in the trial or who are interested in it.
Go to the Council’s website to complete the survey, ‘Aberystwyth Promenade Food & Beverage Trial, Public / Traders Feedback Questionnaire’ www.ceredigion.gov.uk/consultations
Councillor Rhodri Evans is the Cabinet member with responsibility for Economy and Regeneration. He said, “Food and beverages sales were trialled on Aberystwyth Promenade during the summer. We are interested in the experience of the public, including local people and visitors alike, who experienced the trial. We would also like to hear from Traders. Without them, we would not be able to carry out such an experiment. We look forward to reading the response so we can consider and implement any changes necessary to improve the experience in future years.”
The survey is open until Friday, 24 January 2020.
Domestic abuse victims in Wales to be given more time to report assaults
DOMESTIC abuse victims in Wales and England to be given more time to report assaults.
New measures targeted directly at keeping women and girls safer will be added to the Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill last week (Jan 4) the UK Government has announced.
Under the changes, victims of domestic abuse will be allowed more time to report incidents of common assault or battery against them. Currently, prosecutions must commence within six months of the offence.
Instead, this requirement will be moved to six months from the date the incident is formally reported to the police – with an overall time limit of two years from the offence to bring a prosecution.Domestic abuse is often reported late relative to other crimes; so this will ensure victims have enough time to seek justice and that perpetrators answer for their actions.
The UK Government says that today’s announcement builds on measures already in the Bill to better protect women such as ending the halfway release of offenders sentenced between four and seven years in prison for serious sexual offences – forcing them to spend two-thirds of their time in prison.
In December, the legislation was amended to make clear that a new legal duty requiring public bodies to work together to tackle serious violence can also include domestic abuse and sexual offences.
It means that these crimes should be taken as seriously as knife crime and homicide, with police, government, and health bodies required to collaborate locally, so that they can develop more holistic strategies to protect people from harm, including through early intervention.
Home Secretary, Priti Patel, said: “My commitment to making our homes, streets and communities safer for women and girls is clear.”
“Every department in government is working to address and tackle all issues relating to violence against women and girls.”
“The Government has a focussed strategy, dedicated to providing essential support for survivors, the prevention of crimes against women and girls and bringing perpetrators to justice with the full force of the law.”
“Our actions include the new Domestic Abuse Act, with important changes to our laws; a newly created national police lead responsible solely on violence against women and girls, and millions of pounds have been invested in direct safety measures through the Safer Streets Fund.”
“These are all important public confidence measures and changes to ensure the safety of women and girls in public spaces.”
The UK Government has also said that taking non-consensual photographs or video recordings of breastfeeding mothers will be made a specific offence punishable by up to two years in prison.
It covers situations where the motive is to obtain sexual gratification, or to cause humiliation, distress or alarm.
Similar legislation introduced by the UK Government in 2019 that criminalised “up skirting” has led to more than 30 prosecutions since it became law.
Vandalised church passes fundraising target
A FUNDRAISER to rebuild a vandalised church met its goal of £20k within three days.
Eglwys y Grog, which is situated near the cliffs at Mwnt. It is a well known landmark, and is a favourite among photographers.
Clive Davies, a local County Councillor, claims he is “totally blown away” with the donations.
He said the church was targeted on 2 December, and again on 20 December, in “a pointless saddening act.”
“There was nothing of value in the church and it was a senseless act. There was no money there, just a small little church,” he added.
“The church members were getting a lot of requests to donate money and they contacted me to do something coordinated online so I set up a JustGiving page for them.
“It’s been a global response really, three thousand pounds came in overnight. There were messages of support from America, and there was a couple from Australia as well,
“There are a lot of good people out there and it is an amazing start to 2022 for us.”
When the campaign was launched on January 1st, a £20,000 goal was set.
The inside of the church, as well as the leaded church windows and gated entrance, were all damaged.
Mr Davies, who is also a local councillor, claims to have long-standing family ties to the church, which includes plaques honouring his great-grandparents on either side of the altar.
“The local community has been amazing, supporting it and the power of social media made in tenfold,” he said.
“It was like a snowball effect really, local businesses have offered not only financial support but will be part of the restoration work needed now.”
“I’ll be meeting with the church members and the vicar and we’ll start discussing what needs doing, but also we’re going to have to look at safety for the future and what could we do in terms of security,” he added.
He stated that it was critical for the church to remain open while staying safe.
£250 boost to all Ceredigion food banks
PLAID CYMRU Councillors from Ceredigion will donate £250 to each food bank in the county to alleviate pressures over the Christmas period.
The issue of food banks continues on a daily basis in most towns in Wales due to lack of funds and benefits being cut.
Individuals and families are forced to use food banks to make sure they have food for their children and families.
A spokesperson for the Councillors said: “Ceredigion County Council’s Plaid Cymru Group of Councilors is delighted to announce their decision again this year to donate £250.00 each to every food bank in Ceredigion.
“Food banks in Aberystwyth, Cardigan, Aberaeron, Llandysul, Lampeter will benefit from this over Christmas.
“Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.”
Popular This Week
News2 weeks ago
Large fire extinguished at Aberystwyth industrial estate
Health2 weeks ago
Omicron surge leads to changes in testing in Wales
Health1 week ago
Omicron peak could come in ‘the next 10 to 14 days’ in Wales
Community2 weeks ago
Vandalised church passes fundraising target
Health1 week ago
Public Health Wales apology over lack of clarity on smear test changes
Education2 weeks ago
Over £100m of new funding will help make schools and colleges Covid-secure
Health1 week ago
Most stupid and inappropriate calls to the Welsh Ambulance Service revealed
Education1 week ago
£18m to support children and young people with additional learning needs