Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

‘Aber Murder Crew’ beat man unconscious and made sick jokes about dumping his body

Published

on

TWO criminals who call themselves the ‘Aber Murder Crew’ subjected a man to hours of horrendous sadistic assaults, in which they repeatedly beat him unconscious before bringing him around so they could attack him again.

Bullies Hefin Parker and Dean Jones then discussed dumping the injured man on the beach so the tide could wash him away, and talked about a friend with a van who could help them dispose of his body. After the incident the defendants then bragged and joked to their friends about what they had done to their victim.

Sending Parker and Jones to prison, a judge said he had no doubt they should be rightly categorised as dangerous offenders who posed a risk of causing harm to the public. Ian Wright, prosecuting, told Swansea Crown Court that on April 24 this year a room was booked in the Four Seasons hotel in Aberystwyth town centre to which people were invited to consume alcohol and drugs.

The court heard during the course of the night Parker and Jones subjected one of the people at the gathering to a series of brutal beatings using their fists, feet and forearms. Mr Wright said the complainant lost consciousness a number of times during the prolonged assault but each time was “effectively roused so he could be further assaulted”.

At one stage Parker armed himself with a broken wine glass and approached the victim holding the makeshift weapon.

The court heard that the door to the hotel room was locked during the attack, and the other people present were warned that if any of them “grassed” they would end up dead. The court heard that at one stage Parker showed one of the female party guests a photograph on his phone of what appeared to be a handgun, and threatened her into silence.

During the course of the night the defendants went out to buy cocaine – leaving their bleeding victim in the room – before returning to the hotel where they began discussing leaving the injured man on the beach so the tide would carry him away, and talked about a friend with a van who could held them dispose of the body. They subsequently left the room again to buy food from a nearby petrol station shop before returning to their victim.

Mr Wright said eventually Parker, aged 25, and 24-year-old Jones took the injured man out of the room and left him on the pavement outside the hotel before walking off – the pair were spotted abandoning their victim, who was unable to walk unaided, and the emergency services were called. Later that morning the defendants spoke to friends bragging and joking about what they had done, and referred to themselves as the “Aber Murder Crew”.

Meanwhile the injured man was taken first to Aberystwyth’s Bronglais Hospital and then to Morriston Hospital for assessment by maxilo-facial experts. He was found to have multiple facial fractures to eye sockets, nose and cheek bones.

The court heard police identified the two suspects, and arrested Parker on May 1 – recovering blood-stained clothes and a a BB gun from his home address – while Jones was arrested two days later. When Jones was arrested and cautioned, his reply was: “GBH? Maybe. But I doubt it”.

In an statement from the victim of the assault which was read to the court he described the massive psychological impact the incident has had on his life, leaving him suffering with anxiety, depression, panic attacks, and nightmares. He said he now rarely leaves his house.

Hefin Eifion Parker, of Llanbadarn Road, Aberystwyth, and Dean Jones, of no fixed abode, had previously pleaded guilty to inflicting grievous bodily harm with intent when they appeared in the dock together via video-link from prison for sentencing. Parker has previous convictions for battery, possession of an offensive weapon, assault occasioning actual bodily harm, affray, public order matters, harassment, and sending malicious communications. Jones has previous convictions for offences including assaulting an emergency worker, criminal damage, and public order matters. At the time of the hotel assault he was subject to a 12-week suspended sentence.

Jon Tarrant for Parker said the defendant cannot really understand or explain his behaviour on the night in question. He said his client – who became a father in June – is remorseful for his actions and ashamed of what he did, and he said while his family do not condone his behaviour they remain supportive of him.

Ian Ibrahim, for Jones, said the defendant realised he had done a “wicked thing” though he can recall little of the night – or, indeed, little of recent years. He said his client had grown up from the age of four or five in a house where drugs were openly taken on a daily basis, and said at the time of the incident was homeless and was consuming litres of vodka per day having used alcohol as a “crutch” since his teenage years.

Judge Geraint Walters said on any view the facts of the case were “disturbing”, and the behaviour of the pair could rightly be called “sadistic”. He said the defendants had “delighted in causing injury” to their victim, and said the only thing between them being sentenced for inflicting grievous bodily harm or for murder was pure luck, adding he was “satisfied they would not have cared one way or the other” if their victim had lost his life.

The judge said the author of a pre-sentence report had concluded the defendants pose a significant risk of causing serious harm to members of the public, and that he had come to the conclusion – a decision not reached lightly given they are both still relatively young men – that they should be classified as dangerous offenders in the meaning of the legislation. With a one-third discount for their guilty pleas Parker and Jones were each made the subject of eight-year extended sentences comprising five years in custody followed by a three-year extended licence. The judge also activated two months of Jones’ previously imposed suspended sentence.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Three charged with Aberaeron robbery

Published

on

FOLLOWING reports of a robbery in Aberaeron in July 17, along with an incident involving a knife on September 11, we can confirm that two men and a youth have been arrested and charged.

Dylan Tapp, aged 18 of Bow Street, and Christopher Samuel, aged 18 of Heol Isfoel, Llanrhystud, have been charged with robbery. Both have been remanded in custody.

A 17-year-old has also been charged and released on bail.

Our enquiries are ongoing. If anyone has any information about these incidents that they have not yet shared with us, please get in touch with Aberaeron CID:

Report online: https://bit.ly/DPPContactOnline

Email: 101@dyfed-powys.pnn.police.uk

Call: 101

If you are deaf, hard of hearing, or speech impaired text the non-emergency number on 07811 311 908

Continue Reading

Health

Local Businesses help raise astonishing £10,000 for Cardio-Respiratory Ward at Bronglais Hospital

Published

on

THE ORGANISERS of the 2021 Aberystwyth Businesspersons’ Lunch have donated the £10,000 proceeds to the Cardio-Respiratory Ward at Bronglais Hospital.

Consultant Cardiologist Dr Donogh McKeogh; Aled and Rose Rowlands;

John Davies’ widow Ann; Frank Bridle; John’s daughter and son, Angharad

and Rhodri; and Iestyn Leyshon

The lunch last December was in memory of well-known local businessman, jeweller and musician John Davies, who had helped organise the annual lunch for many years but sadly passed away just a few months before.

“John was such a lovely man, a pillar of the town and so well thought of, that we decided it was fitting that the lunch should be in his memory and that the proceeds should go to the cardiac unit where he had been treated for so many years,” said Aled Rowlands, who organised the lunch along with Frank Bridle, Layla Mangan, Gary Pemberthy, Huw Bates and Iestyn Leyshon.

“It was a very successful day, with nearly 200 people enjoying a lunch, comedian, band, auction and raffle. It was a fitting tribute to John who was such a big part of the town.”

John Davies joined his parents’ business at T J Davies at the age of 16 where he worked for 64 years after leaving Llandaff Cathedral School. He passed away in August 2021, at the age of 80.

John’s wife Ann and children Angharad and Rhodri said: “We were delighted at the generous amount that was raised in his memory at the Businesspersons Christmas lunch.

“Charity work was important to John, through his membership of the Lions Club and it is fitting that the money raised went to a department where he personally received such care and attention from Dr McKeogh and his team.

“John will be remembered not only as a businessman but also as a keen and talented trumpeter, playing with Aberystwyth Town Band, Aber Jazz and Philomusica, to name but a few, as well as playing carols with the Town Band every Christmas Day around Bronglais Hospital wards and care homes in the town.”

Pictured at the cheque presentation at Bronglais Hospital are (from left) Consultant Cardiologist Dr Donogh McKeogh; Aled and Rose Rowlands; John Davies’ widow Ann; Frank Bridle; John’s daughter and son, Angharad and Rhodri; and Iestyn Leyshon.

Continue Reading

News

Wales stands firm in support for Ukraine

Published

on

IN THE latest update on the Ukraine crisis, Wales’s Minister for Social Justice Jane Hutt thanked all those households across Wales who have come forward to offer their homes to Ukrainians fleeing the War and encouraged more households to provide this vital support.

APPEAL FOR MORE HOST FAMILIES

The Minister for Social Justice said: “I’m delighted to say that over 5,650 people from Ukraine, sponsored by the Welsh Government and Welsh households, have already arrived in the UK.
“More than 8,200 visas have now been issued to people from Ukraine who have sponsors in Wales, so we expect the number of arrivals to continue to grow in the coming weeks.
“Thousands of Welsh households sponsored Ukrainians to arrive in Wales and committed to hosting them for at least six months.
“As we move into the autumn, we approach the end of that initial period.
“We hope hosts and Ukrainians will agree to extend many of those placements, but we need additional hosts to support those who cannot continue living where they are.
“To ensure a warm welcome to Wales, I’m inviting households across Wales to come forward and open their homes to welcome those seeking sanctuary.
“We’re immensely thankful to all those across Wales acting as hosts to Ukrainians, but more households must come forward.
“I completely understand that there are those who want to help but may not have the resources to do so, given the circumstances we’re all facing with the cost-of-living crisis.”

WALES WILL STEP UP TO THE PLATE

Jane Hutt continued: “What we all know, and has been proven countless times, is that the people of Wales are one of the most generous across the globe, and I’m sure we will step up to the plate once again.
“The idea of hosting can be daunting. That’s why we have funded Housing Justice Cymru to provide a Host Support service which includes expert and reliable information, training, advice, and guidance for people hosting, or those considering hosting, Ukrainians in Wales.
“More information on sessions and training can be found on the Housing Justice Cymru website. We also publish regularly updated guidance for hosts and sponsors at gov. wales/ukraine.
“We still need many more households to consider whether they could provide a home for those in need. This would normally be a commitment to hosting for 6 to 12 months.
“If anyone is considering this, we encourage them to register their interest at gov.wales/offerhome, and to attend one of the ‘Introduction to Hosting’ sessions, facilitated by Housing Justice Cymru. You won’t need to continue the process if you decide it is not for you.
“We have also partnered with Airbnb.org to ensure very short-term emergency placements can be provided to prevent homelessness.
“If you cannot host for more than 6 months but you could offer your property for up to 30 days at a time, you may also be able to contribute. Visit gov.wales/offerhome and follow the link to the Airbnb.org platform.”
Finally, the Minister stated: “We will continue to communicate with those who host Ukrainians, with updated guidance and information to support the valuable role you are undertaking.
“To all those that are already hosting and to those that are considering hosting, thank you, we owe you all a huge debt of gratitude.”

WESTMINSTER MUST BACK HOSTS
DURING COST-OF-LIVING CRISIS

Conservative MS Mark Isherwood raised how the cost-of-living crisis affects Ukrainian refugees.
Where families had taken in those fleeing Russian aggression, he noted a risk of sponsorships not continuing beyond six months because the hosts cannot afford the rise in fuel costs.
He asked the Minister what discussions she’d had with the UK Government about increasing the £350 contribution to households who’d taken in Ukrainian refugees.
The Minister agreed with Mark Isherwood that ending a specific ministerial post dealing with refugees was regrettable.
She noted a lack of information from the UK Government over the summer months and since Liz Truss replaced Boris Johnson as head of the Conservative Government.
Ms Hutt said: “We asked for an increase at least to £500, or up again, doubling to £700 per month. An urgent decision is needed regarding this as they reach the end of their six-month period.
“That period is underway, so we’re writing to all hosts to see if they will continue.”

UK GOVERNMENT URGED
TO PICK UP THE PHONE

The Minister thanked Mark Isherwood for introducing her to a charity offering support in North Wales, Link, and hoped that he and his colleagues would bring pressure to bear on their Westminster colleagues to ensure those in need from Ukraine and those in Wales helping them received support.
She added: “I look forward perhaps that we might have some telephone calls from the Prime Minister and other Ministers to us in Government. We must engage with them and follow this through.
“There is a huge job of work to be done here. We’re taking responsibility in the way I’ve outlined, funding our welcome centres and paying thank-you payments to hosts if they support a family who initially arrived in Wales under the Ukraine family scheme.
“That’s not happening in England. The commitment that we’re making is considerable.
“I hope everyone will join us today, saying that we need to press for those answers in terms of financial support.”

THE THREAT OF HOMELESSNESS

Sioned Williams of Plaid Cymru raised the spectre of Ukrainian refugees becoming homeless in Wales due to a lack of financial support and the end of existing hosting and housing placements.
The Minister praised the work of local authorities across Wales supporting refugees.
She said: “There are very imaginative programmes. That includes a whole range of issues like repurposing empty buildings.
“Local authorities are really coming up with a whole range of ways in which we can support people, perhaps, from a welcome centre, or a host family, into that intermediate accommodation, and then on to other longer-term accommodation.”
Pembrokeshire currently houses around 200 Ukrainian refugees, with the demand for assistance outstripping the availability of suitable accommodation.

NOT ONE PENNY FROM WESTMINSTER
TO SUPPORT FAMILIES FLEEING WAR

Responding to a question from Mabon ap Gwynfor about problems housing family groups, Jane Hutt hit out at the lack of support from the UK Government and how it’s u-turned on a commitment to help families.
“The UK Government has never given a penny towards the family scheme.
“The former Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, in one of his last PMQs, actually said that he thought the Ukraine family scheme should get the same funding and support as the Homes for Ukraine scheme. It’s never happened.
“We have provided thank-you payments to people who are hosting Ukrainian families. It’s all Welsh Government money; it’s not UK Government, because they don’t provide a penny. And also, the British Red Cross—£246,000—who are actually supporting Ukrainian families who are hosting family members under the Ukrainian family scheme.”
On Wednesday, September 28, Eluned Morgan, Wales’s Health Minister, announced the continuation of free healthcare in Wales to Ukrainian residents displaced by the ongoing conflict.
The exemption will continue to apply unless there’s a significant change in circumstances in Ukraine.

Continue Reading

Popular This Week