Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Landlord threatened with acid attack

Published

on

Community service: Jake Stewart

Community service: Jake Stewart

A MOURNER threatened a landlord with an acid attack and arson, and assaulted him after being barred from a wake, a court has heard.

Jake Stewart, aged 26, of Pant Glas, Tregaron, pleaded guilty to assault by beating and using threatening, abusive, or insulting words or behaviour, when he appeared before Aberystwyth magistrates on Wednesday.

The court heard that Stewart had attended a friend’s funeral on April 2, but had been previously banned from the Talbot Hotel, Tregaron, where the wake was being held.

Landlord Michael Taylor arrived at the premises at around 7pm, after being called by a member of staff stating Stewart was refusing to leave and wanted to speak to him.

Ellie Morgan, prosecuting, said: “The defendant got out of his vehicle and the victim could see is was very agitated.

“He started shouting and threatened to throw acid in Mr Taylor’s face and his wife’s face, and to burn his house down.”

Another man was attempting to restrain Stewart, but he came up to Mr Taylor and slapped him across the face, then grabbed him and ripped his shirt.

Miss Morgan added: “The whole incident lasted about five minutes, and Jake Stewart was in Mr Taylor’s face for most of the time.”

A victim impact statement provided by Mr Taylor said the incident had left him ‘shaken and shocked’, and he was ‘extremely concerned’ about Stewart’s behaviour and the threats made.

In interview Stewart told police that banned people were able to attend a wake at the Talbot Hotel five weeks ago, and he thought the staff would let him in on the day in question.

He added that the landlord had said something which provoked his response, but he could not remember making any threats regarding acid or arson.

Miss Morgan added: “He said it had been a heart-breaking day for everyone concerned because of the wake.”

Janan Jones, defending, told the court her client was not drunk on the day of the incident, but feelings were running high, and he felt provoked because he was unable to go to the wake.

She said: “There had been a funeral for a very young girl who had committed suicide, who was a close friend of Jake Stewart.

“He wanted to attend the wake and wanted to speak to the landlord.”

Miss Jones added that Mr Taylor suffered very little injury, and Stewart had pushed him away because he was ‘in his face’.

Following a report from the probation service, magistrates imposed a 12 month community order with 100 hours unpaid work.

Stewart was ordered to pay £50 compensation to Mr Taylor, plus £85 court costs and a £20 victim surcharge.

The presiding magistrate said: “You let yourself down on that day.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

New Quay RNLI assists boy with broken ankle

Published

on

LAST week New Quay RNLI volunteers had a busy week with two training sessions, two call outs and crew attending a local agricultural show in Caerwedros.

With the inshore lifeboat training on Wednesday night and the all-weather lifeboat training on Thursday night, the crew then proceeded to launch on service twice over the weekend.

On Saturday 6 August at 5.50pm New Quay RNLI’s inshore lifeboat was tasked by HM Coastguard to provide first aid and assist the local New Quay Coastguard team with a medical evacuation on Traeth Gwyn, New Quay.

Huw Williams, one of New Quay RNLI’s helm said, “Unfortunately one of our crew members’ son had injured his ankle while playing on Traeth Gwyn. He urgently needed medical care but unfortunately there was a long wait for an ambulance. We arrived quickly on scene and administered pain relief. The casualty was in a lot of pain and we assisted the local Coastguard team to carry the casualty off the beach, up the steep path to their car.”

Father of the injured boy, Wayne Slawson added, “We would like to say a huge thank to everyone involved in this on Saturday and to both organisations as a whole, the level of service you all provide is first class.

“Our son is doing ok, following a few tough days in and out of hospital. He had to have a scan to determine whether or not he needed an operation as he had fractured his growth plate in his ankle. Luckily, they were able to manipulate the ankle into position while in theatre and now he has a full leg plaster. We can’t thank you all enough.”

The second callout was late on Sunday night at 11.50pm when New Quay RNLI’s inshore lifeboat was tasked by HM Coastguard to assist Dyfed Powys Police in searching for a missing person.

Pete Yates, one of New Quay RNLI’s helm said, “After a thorough search of New Quay bay in glass calm conditions, and with nothing found, we were stood down and back at station by 1.30am. Another great example of our emergency services working together with the local Coastguard Rescue Team and police officers involved.”

Roger Couch, New Quay RNLI’s Lifeboat Operations Manager said, “We have been busy over the past few months keeping up with training and with many launches on service. Remember if you see anyone in trouble in the sea on the coast call 999 and ask for the Coastguard. Our volunteers are on call 24/7 to help.”

Continue Reading

Health

Possible super-hospital plans released as Pembrokeshire site ruled out

Published

on

HYWEL Dda Health Board have reduced the number of potential sites for the new “super-hospital” in West Wales from five to three. 

The new site has been narrowed down to two possible locations in Whitland or one in St Clears.

According to the plans provided in Hywel Dda’s technical appraisal reports, all sites will include a main building divided into planned and urgent care, as well as a separate facility for mental health services. Parking, administrative facilities, and a helipad are also planned.

Site 12 in Whitland
Travel time analysis for population to site 12

The potential Narberth site is no longer being considered, meaning that the new hospital would be built outside of Pembrokeshire.

Hywel Dda presented the findings of a “transport infrastructure analysis,” stating that both sites had bus services that are “infrequent” and “short,” making shift work difficult.

Plan for ‘site C’ in Whitland
Travel time analysis for population to ‘site C’

For Whitland, it noted that there was an approximate 750m walking distance from the train station to the hospital site, with recommended walking distance of 400m, and that local roads do ‘not appear’ to suffer from significant congestion during a typical weekday. 

In St Clears, the report highlighted the impact a planned new railway station – expected to open in 2024 – could have on the town, saying it would be a ‘major boost’ to the area providing viable alternative car travel, with it being understood there is a commitment to increase the frequency of services at some stations along the west Wales line from two hourly to hourly.

Plans for ‘site 17’ in St Clears
Travel time analysis for population ‘site 17’ in St Clears

After it was announced that Narberth would not be the site of the new hospital, Hywel Dda University Health Board Chair, Maria Battle, assured the residents of Pembrokeshire that their concerns would be taken into account.

“Our programme business case to the Welsh Government is seeking the greatest investment west Wales will have ever seen,” said Ms Battle.

Ambulance times to Whitland, Bronglais Hospital and Morriston Hospital (Welsh Ambulance Service travel time analysis June 2022)
Ambulance times to St Clears, Bronglais Hospital and Morriston Hospital (Welsh Ambulance Service travel time analysis June 2022)

“We have listened to and continue to listen to the fears and voices of the public we serve and our staff who understand the frontline challenges of trying to deliver services across so many sites and spread so thinly.

“Recognising the fragility of our services and the risk this poses every day, we do not intend to make changes at Glangwili or Withybush hospitals before a new hospital is built. And afterwards, they will continue to provide valuable health services to our communities.”

Continue Reading

crime

Police appeal for information on incident in Black Lion Hotel

Published

on

DYFED-Powys Police are investigating an incident which occurred in the Black Lion Hotel, New Quay on the evening of Saturday, July 30, 2022.

Anyone who witnessed the incident is asked to come forward.  Police would especially like to speak to a man who is believed to have recorded the incident on his mobile phone.

Anyone with information that could help officers with their investigation is asked to report it to Dyfed-Powys Police, either online at: https://bit.ly/DPPContactOnline, by emailing 101@dyfed-powys.police.uk, or by calling 101. 

If you are deaf, hard of hearing, or speech impaired text the non-emergency number on 07811 311 908.

Quote reference: DP-20220731-195

Alternatively, contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously by calling 0800 555111, or visiting crimestoppers-uk.org.

Continue Reading

Popular This Week